How to stop my puppy from peeing on my kids?

Linkat

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 09:43 am
Seriously - my new puppy has peed on each of my children. We are potty training our new puppy. We use the crate and also our eyes when he isn't crated and running around the house causing trouble.

Any way - when we take him out, we will carry him especially right after being in the crate and realizing he will need to go pee soon. We carry him because we did not think that he would pee mid air or on us until we get him outside. However, he has peed on the kids when they have taken him out.

Any thoughts? I thought maybe, I'd have the kids hold him outward rather than against them. And why would he pee on the kids?

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 09:56 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
And why would he pee on the kids?

Marking his territory.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 09:57 am
@joefromchicago,
yeah, if he was naming them, they would have a different trouble...
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 09:57 am
@Linkat,
He probably gets excited when they pick him up and it stimulates him to pee. It might help if you take him out more frequently and put the crate closer to the door. The good news is this should be a temporary behavior and he will soon age out of it with better muscle control.
shewolfnm

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 10:03 am
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Im sorry..... but that is funny.

i would think his little bladder is just too small .
Pressure from being lifted pushes on it and causes him to pee.
stop lifting him.
just walk him straight to the door.
If he stops to squat, do what ever punishment you do and get him out faster.

Not being cruel, or doing it in a cruel way, but putting him down , on leash and racing to get him outside faster so that he does not have TIME to squat may work, even if it requires a tad bit of dragging..
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 10:33 am
@Linkat,
Does he pee on you when you carry him out?

If not, seems that it's a dominance issue.

How old is he now? how long have you been crate-training him? have you started any obedience training with him yet?
Linkat

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 11:22 am
@Green Witch,
But he hasn't peed on my husband or me - that is why I thought it odd. Maybe we are just lucky.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 11:28 am
@ehBeth,
He doesn't pee on me or my husband. He is 14 weeks or so and we had him about a month - he was crate trained before we got him so he does good and sleeps all night without peeing and I usually take him out first thing in the morning - which is the longest he goes without going outside.

We have begin training him - correcting him when he does piddle in the house - he has had his first scratching at the door so we are getting some where with him. He sits, gives paws and lays down already on command. We made progress in almost stopping the puppy nipping stuff. And he is beginning to understand come - when you walk him on a lease. Fortunately he is a pretty smart dog and catches on to commands quickly. He really is an easy dog so far and listens well. A little bit of a concern of mine because the breed is known for its stubbornness.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 11:57 am
@Linkat,
If he's only peeing on the kids, it's probably a dominance issue - unless there is something extremely odd about the way they are holding him.

It would probably be a good idea to do at least some basic training somewhere like PetSmart where they encourage you to bring the kids along while you're training - so that the dog understands he needs to be submissive to all of the humans in the household.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 12:15 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Fortunately he is a pretty smart dog and catches on to commands quickly. He really is an easy dog so far and listens well.

Then it's time you taught him the command "STOP PEEING ON THE KIDS!" Remember to use appropriate hand gestures.
Linkat

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 12:46 pm
@joefromchicago,
And (I am afraid to ask) what are the appropriate hand jestures?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 12:51 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

And (I am afraid to ask) what are the appropriate hand jestures?

http://i31.tinypic.com/20zd3pz.jpg
0 Replies