What is the funniest thing that ever happened to you, or that you saw happen?

dlowan

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 04:45 pm
This is along the lines of the "laughter is good for you"campaign that I am running for myself to get over being a pathetic wuss over being temporarily kinda crippled.

Thought laughter might be good for lots of other people, too.

In case anyone wants to give me a hard time for asking for one funniest thing, you can post 100 of ém for all I care! Just have fun with the topic. If it's funny, it belongs here.

I'm cogitating on mine...some of them are so embarrassing, or I have spoken about them so much, I am finding it hard to put them down.

I seem to have done lots of really dumb stuff. : (

wandeljw

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 08:07 pm
@dlowan,
I laugh at how gustavratzenhofer gets the better of me whenever I try to direct insult humor at him. Here is a link to a series of posts where I failed in my attempt to compete with him:
http://able2know.org/topic/102077-3#post-2816962
boomerang

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 08:09 pm
I don't know why this popped into my head but it did so I'll tell it.

I once worked in this upscale restaurant where the service was (supposed to be) impeccable. We were understaffed one busy night and I was waiting on this table with this old woman and a man. She was obviously his mom. They did not get along with each other or something was wrong. They had hardly spoken to each other through the meal. They weren't happy. It was that awkward kind of silence and mood.

I was carrying a tray to another table but stopped by to check on them. Someone at another table stood up and bumped my tray. A chunk of cheesecake with some kind of gooey topping catapulted off my tray and landed, improbably, inside the man's hat which he had laid on a chair.

There were several beats of absolute silence.

Then the old woman laughed. And laughed. And laughed.

Then the man laughed.

I started apologizing and they waved me off. They were laughing so hard they were crying.

It really wasn't that funny (especially for me who imagined having to pay to have that hat cleaned) but I guess they were in serious need of comic relief and my pratfall hit the right spot.

The man thanked me truly and left a generous tip. I didn't have to pay to have his hat cleaned.

This was maybe 25 years ago and I still think about that man and woman who needed to laugh. I'm glad I could help them out.
djjd62

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 08:13 pm
i've been known to say a lot of stupid things

one memorable utterance, while packing up things at a campsite with friends, i made this monumental observation

"boy, is my backpack ever empty, when it's not full"

i believe i might have been trying to comment on how much room there was in the backpack, or i just might have a slight degree of brain damage, the jury is still out
Tai Chi

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 08:29 pm
When I was 10 we went to Expo 67 in Montreal. In spite of being hours from home we ran into someone we knew and my Dad got to talking. We were standing near an outdoor theatre where there were rows and rows of plastic bucket type chairs. All had a hole drilled in the bottom so rainwater wouldn't collect -- except the one next to my Dad. When he went to sit down I interrupted, "Um, Dad..."
"Just a minute Tai Chi -- I'm talking to Mr. X"
"Yeah, but Dad..."
"I'll be right with you."
"But Dad..."
He gave me that exasperated look just as his butt hit a chair seat full of water and then the look was PRICELESS.
"I tried to tell you," I said.
He had to spend the next few hours with a wet crotch and bum. It was great.
mismi

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 08:32 pm
@djjd62,
Heh...you sound a little like me Didge...well there anyway. I say things like that all the time. Mine probably is just dead brain cells though.

My boys were talking about Harry Potter tonight at the dinner table and one of them decided it would be funny to mispronounce it...he said "hairy peter" and I couldn't quit laughing...long after it was no longer funny - I just kept on. It was just so funny coming out my little 9 year olds mouth. whew! I love to laugh like that though.
water

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 08:44 pm
@dlowan,
I think the funniest thing is playing Chinese chess
dadpad

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 01:37 am
I work with a man who is so much the redneck, huntin fishin tools strip and rebuild the car each weekend women in the kitchen beer drinkin' etc etc. He also uses a chainsaw, knows how to sharpen it has all the right gear and keeps it in a PINK bag.
the big gay chainsaw tool bag is what we call it.
roger

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 01:50 am
@dadpad,
You laugh at a guy that packs a chainsaw?
roger

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 01:51 am
@Tai Chi,
Couldn't you have warned him?
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 02:09 am
@dlowan,
A TRUE STORY.

Written in the first tense by my dog Aja about her, her sister Kodi, and myself.

Quote:
Hi, I am Aja. I would like to tell you about the time my Pa made a fool of himself more than usual. We were in the yard one day and I was playing with Pa and Kodi, my sister.

Usually Pa cannot run fast. We can “out-leg” him in a heartbeat. However, on this day, he showed his stuff as well as his stupidity, much to Kodi’s and my delight. I had a small surveyor’s post with a long string on it in my mouth and Pa was acting like he was going to grab it from me. Being the swift footed gal that I am, I feigned this a way and that a way. Pa was nowhere near me. He was too slow, as usual. Kodi was running behind a barking and a tail wagging as she went. Pa got the bright idea to start running away from me. I think he had been watching “Dances with Wolves” the night before. As soon as he started to run, I lit out after him, surveyor stick in my mouth. Well, all of a sudden Pa went into overdrive and started screaming and moving as fast as a four legged Kuvasz. I looked at Kodi, Kodi looked at me, and we knew this was going to be fun. Both Kodi and I began running faster to close the gap, but Pa just flat out accelerated too, still screaming. Finally I caught up with him and jumped his back. We fell and hit the ground and soon Kodi arrived to jump on the pile. By then Pa had settled down and started laughing and rolling around with a smile on his face. It was only then that he saw the long string attached to the stake. He had thought the motion of the tall grass due to the string moving thru it was a snake coming after him. That was what scared him so much. As he ran, I ran, and the string ran too, thru the grass like lightening, straight for him. We have never let Pa forget that day when we pulled a fast one on him. But he no longer lets us play with sticks and string.

Aja
dlowan

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 03:21 am
Great folks.........I'll respnd properly later!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 07:24 am
@wandeljw,
Lol!!!!! A sage is born.

I'm sure SOMEONE'S got the better of Gus.....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 07:27 am
@boomerang,
Waiting stories are great!!!!!!!!!

If eve rI was going to have a "mistakes'' night, it was always at one table....like the couple I knocked their wine bottle over on, and got their orders wrong, and got the bill wrong.

I think they felt they were supporting a special needs worker because they gave me a large tip,
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 07:28 am
@djjd62,
Well, I am sure they knew what you meant!!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 07:28 am
@Tai Chi,
Ha!!!! Did he listen to you after that!!!????
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 07:30 am
@mismi,
Now I'll get fired for asking kids about whether they like Hairy Peter at work!!!!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 07:30 am
@boomerang,
See being clumsy is a gift!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 08:17 am
@water,
I think we need a little more information to appreciate that one fully.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 08:18 am
@dadpad,
Speechless.

At least you don't mean his testicles.
0 Replies