Toronto, August 21-23: Anyone interested in meeting up?

ehBeth

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 10:48 pm
@Tai Chi,
Wouldn't that just have been a heart-stopper of a meet - Thomas and Izzie!

Yes, Thomas drank Timmy's coffee. I'm not sure what he thought of it. He liked timbits. We know that.

~~~

soooooooooo, Thomas and I drove from Kingston to Toronto in two cars. We needed to drop brendalee off in the west end of Kingston Township on the way. hmmmm, how to set Thomas' GPS to brendalee's mother's address when brendalee doesn't know her mother's address (this is going somewhere) ... fussing .... fussing ... I have a brainwave - brendalee drives with Thomas since she knows how to get to her mother's house. I drive in my car since I know how to get there too.

I can see Thomas and brendalee in my rearview mirror, chatting, laughing, smiling, chatting, laughing, smiling ...

I pull my car forward and around at brendalee's mom's place. Thomas pulls up, parks. brendalee gets out of the car. Her glasses are steamed up.

Thomas has that effect.

They tried to tell me it had something to do with the air conditioning.

Thomas' twinkle can do that to a cougar Wink
Izzie

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 11:03 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

They tried to tell me it had something to do with the air conditioning.

heh heh...

Have such the best time... please hug the Mensch from me and hugs to one and all in Canajun land. Love ya girl x
ehBeth

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 11:18 pm
@Izzie,
I'll hug everyone for you, if you'll hug everyone for me ... and then we have to work on hugging each other Very Happy

hmmm, if we do six degrees ... I've hugged Roberta and Thomas and JoeNation ... and SheWolf has hugged Roberta and Thomas and JoeNation ... and you've hugged SheWolf ... it's not quite like a direct hug ... but we're getting closer!
ehBeth

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 03:57 pm
@ehBeth,
wow - a crazy day and a half
met more A2kers
more A2kers met more A2kers
spun around on rides
saw Elvis Stojko perform
sat in the world's funniest beer tent
got a bit sunburned
am ready to rest just a bit
time to get ready to go back to work tomorrow
Thomas can update update update
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 05:31 pm
So, like . . . i'm waling along East Gerrard Street, at the South Asia Festival, and this diminutive woman, whom i do not know and have never seen before, walks up to me and says: "So, you're set, right?" And i'm scrambling to think of an answer, and all that is going through my head is to wonder what kind of set-up, what kind of scam is this. Something in my expression told her that i didn't understand, even when she repeated the question, so she told me her name, and that she is Tai Chi. Then i realized that the question she had asked me was: "So, you're Set, right?" She had recognized Thomas, and somebody had told her that i am tall, so she correctly guessed who i am.

I found it much more amusing to think of it as some kind of flim-flam routine, though.
Tai Chi

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 05:41 pm
@Setanta,
Gosh, Set, I thought you thought I was propositioning you Cool

A great day! After bamboozling Set, I exchanged smiles with Joeblow when we noticed each other grooving to the Bollywood beat (without thinking anything other than "ah, another music lover". ) Meanwhile she's standing in front of the restaurant where we planned to meet, at exactly the same time we were to meet (d'oh!) It was great to finally meet ehBeth too. (She's a dynamo.) I'm afraid to rave too much about Thomas in case it goes to his head -- he really is sweet!

So yeah, a great day, good food, terrific company.
Setanta

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 05:43 pm
@Tai Chi,
Tai Chi wrote:
Gosh, Set, I thought you thought I was propositioning you Cool

Well, i did wonder. But i was thinkin' "How would she know?"
Tai Chi

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 05:51 pm
@Setanta,
That would be telling.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 08:46 pm
@Tai Chi,
Tai Chi wrote:
Meanwhile she's standing in front of the restaurant where we planned to meet, at exactly the same time we were to meet (d'oh!)

nuh uh - that was 15 minutes early - by the time I was on my way to re-find you 10 minutes early - you were on your way back from the New Haandi with joeblow.

~~~

It was pretty dang cool to meet Tai Chi and the College Man. Kinda like Gidget and the Bachelor eh Cool

Joeblow was as ultimate as she always is. Ultimate, no specific modifier.

A2K hugging was as successful as ever

Mary Alice = http://able2know.org/user/mab3803/
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 06:55 am
Things I learned:

Beth is indefatigable.

Thomas’s accent, which he says is strictly German, is melodious.

Set can sing.

Tai chi is as pleasant, down to earth and amusing as I thought. The College Guy, aside from being a lucky man, is a trooper!

Thanks all. It reminded me of the small town street festivals of my youth. I’d do it again in a minute, only next time I’d buy a sari. I was too busy chatting to properly examine the merchandise…except later, when we did examine the sweets sufficiently well to make a good selection. I liked them all! Alas, I was full of remorse that I didn’t bring home dinner.

The bollywood dances the day before would have been a riot, but I enjoyed the Bengali dances anyway, which I could view every time I crossed the road to indulge. The little ones must have been practicing for months to regale us with their moves.

Joeblow

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 10:18 am
@Joeblow,
I just browsed for pictures of the Ivy Lea Bridge. Found a couple of aerial shots that start to do it justice. It’s so lovely there. My shoulders start to lower just looking at them.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 10:31 pm
I just returned home safely, too tired to post anything of substance. Thank you, all of you, for this long weekend. I had a blast!
Setanta

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 05:13 am
You should replace your avatar picture. I don't know when that was taken, but it doesn't look a thing like you, and it makes you look old and goofy . . .
ehBeth

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 06:26 am
@Thomas,
substance! substance! substance!

It's good to see that you made it home, though I expected you to spend some time auditioning for a remake of The Farmer's Daughter ... mebbe not get home til Wednesday or Thursday.

brendalee dropped by after work. I think she was hoping you'd decided to stay on a bit longer Very Happy
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 10:49 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
You should replace your avatar picture. I don't know when that was taken, but it doesn't look a thing like you, and it makes you look old and goofy . . .

You, on the other hand, look just like your avatar!

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll88/guthobla/P1010956.jpg

As the picture shows, you're even friendlier in real life than in your avatar. It was a pleasure to meet you and massage your belly. I only wish your human was a little more generous with the cherry tomatoes, and her no-good boyfriend stopped playing computer games so much so you had more time for posting on A2K.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 02:37 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

You'll miss out on seeing the home of 1000 Island dressing. So sad Crying or Very sad

Quote:
Thousand Island Dressing - It is made from bits of green olives, peppers, pickles, onions, hard-boiled eggs and other finely chopped ingredients.

The history of Thousand Island Dressing dates back to the early days of the 20th century and centers in the small resort village of Clayton, New York. A fishing guide named George LaLonde, Jr. guided visiting fishermen for Black Bass and Northern Pike through the waters of the 1000 Islands. After a day of fishing, he and his wife, Sophia LaLonde, would serve what they called “shore dinners” with a different and unusual salad dressing. The following story on the origin of Thousand Island Dressing was given to me by Allen and Susan Benas, owners of the Thousand Islands Inn:

“On one particular occasion, George LaLonde, Jr., was guiding a very prominent New York City stage actress named May Irwin and her husband. May Irwin, a renowned cook and cookbook authoress in her own right, was particularly impressed with the dressing and asked George for the recipe. Sophia La Londe, who created the dressing, was flattered by the request and willingly gave her the recipe. Sophia also had given the recipe to Ella Bertrand, who’s family owned the Herald Hotel, one of the most popular hotels in Clayton. May Irwin and her husband had stayed at the Herald Hotel during their early vacations in the island and had already tasted the dressing. It was May Irwin who gave it the name Thousand Island and it was Ella Bertrand who first served it to the dining public.

Upon her return to New York City, May Irwin gave the recipe to fellow 1000 Islands’ summer visitor, George C. Boldt, who was owner of the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York. Equally impressed with the dressing and its flavor. Mr. Boldt directed his world famous maitre di, Oscar Tschirky, to put the dressing on the hotel’s menu. In doing so, Oscar Tschirky earned credit for introducing the dressing to the world.”

same chef is responsible for introducing the Waldorf salad to the world

http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/SaladHistory.htm

That's the only reason I want to visit Canada. Surprised

Wink
ehBeth

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 02:59 pm
@tsarstepan,
I'm glad you posted here. Just re-read the thread and realized that I've got some photos of the early parts of this weekend adventure that never made it to A2k.

One of the lastingestestest memories of the weekend is ...

Thomas and Brenda and hamburgboy and I going to Tim Horton's before we got on the Wolfe Island Ferry. I went to the counter to get coffee/tea/water/snacks. I put the tray down on the table, sat down and pulled my hand cleanser out of my pocket, and looked up to Thomas's disbelieving face.

There were already two hand cleansers on the table - hamburgboy and Brenda's. Thomas wanted to know what the Canadian fetish with hand cleansers was all about.

and then there was the whole butter tart discussion which started that weekend
0 Replies