FOUR INCHES OF RAIN IN TWO HOURS

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 06:07 pm
I suppose this should be in the thunderboomers thread, but although we've had thunderstorms, the real story in torrential rain. At Lester Pearson International airport, the recorded more than 90 mm or rain in two house time (that's almost four inches). I just heard a tape on the radio of a passenger on the GO train (commuter transit line with double-decker cars). She said the lower part of the cars began to flood, and people were crowing upstairs to aoivd the flooding. She said it looked like they were in a lake. Another guy on the radio was saying that the streets which lead down off the bluff looked like waterfalls. More than 300,000 people without power.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 4,725 • Replies: 29
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 06:17 pm
@Setanta,
It is crazy out there.

I'm finally dry from my two-minute walk home.

The next wave of storms is on its way.

The thunder started rumbling again while I was out with the dogs for a quick mini walk.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 06:37 pm
Just saw a couple pics on FB from a Tranna local who said that this was at the beginning of the deluge and that it got much, much worse. Stay safe out there!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/q75/s720x720/1044575_10151475049992027_1760963092_n.jpg
ehBeth

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 06:43 pm
@JPB,
Apparently the last rainfall like this in Toronto was during Hurricane Hazel in the 1950's
ehBeth

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 06:52 pm
@ehBeth,
http://i.embed.ly/1/display/resize?key=1e6a1a1efdb011df84894040444cdc60&url=http%3A%2F%2Fpbs.twimg.com%2Fmedia%2FBOsE_0YCIAALQhO.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 06:55 pm
@ehBeth,
worries..

ehBeth

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 06:59 pm
@ossobuco,
We are comparatively lucky in this location as we're at the top of the bluffs - but we're close enough to a major closed highway that whacks of traffic are trying to use our side streets to get across the city.

People are apparently swimming away from stranded transit trains in the valley.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 07:00 pm
Where is an ark when you need one? Seriously, be safe.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 07:13 pm
It's odd that I'm even posting. Distraction, but then here is this, real trouble in a city I just like, not having been there.

I'm long interested in cities and drainage issues. I've no idea if Toronto is faulty on this, just inquiring re the system.

(I live in a place of nonsense drainage, far as I can see. Perhaps some sites here are better than others.)
ehBeth

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 07:15 pm
@ossobuco,
Toronto is not a flat city. Very much a city of hills and valleys and rivers.

Of course there has been interference with the natural course of the waterways over the centuries since Toronto was first settled. You definitely want to live at the top of a hill around here.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 07:23 pm
@ehBeth,
http://www.blogto.com/upload/2011/02/2011216-topo-map-toronto.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 07:50 pm
@ehBeth,
I'm no mistress of drainage but I didn't used to be bad at it either. I'll back off to the really knowledgable. Seems like lots of places over the globe are in big trouble.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 07:58 pm
@ossobuco,
At the top of the bluffs here, the drainage is almost brilliant - nearly straight sand. Things aren't so great in other parts of town.

The storm and sewer drain systems need some serious upgrading.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 08:06 pm
@ehBeth,
That was mostly the point of my question but I didn't know the answer.

Wake up time, and not just for Toronto.

ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 08:14 pm
@ossobuco,
Well, where I live a whole lot of people need ordinary buses. Drainage seems a luxury.

That sounds snippy, but no kidding.

Drainage is not always a problem here and apparently no one is taught about it.
Both Diane's and my houses have the concrete graded toward the back door, mine in three ways. I saw it when I bought, but thought I had the money to fix it (I know grading). I gather whatever test there is for contractors here is very simple or rigged.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 08:18 pm
@ossobuco,
relax don't panic osso.
Taking the water to "daylight" is the answer. Toronto never really had a great drainage infrastructure, but neither does NYC.

Ats a lotta rain to get rid of. Its like 110000 gal per acre piling up at once and youd already had the ground a bit saturated no?

You wait. All those cars that are sunk in the gullies will show up at the Manheim (Ps) car auctions in the next few weeks after they've dried out a bit
ehBeth

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 08:20 pm
@farmerman,
Yup - already pretty damp here.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 08:30 pm
@farmerman,
Daylite in BelAir, a new song.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 08:35 pm
@ehBeth,
I wanna see the CArfax on that SUV please
ehBeth

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 08:36 pm
@farmerman,
I'm a bit nervous about going to work tomorrow.
We're still dealing with Superstorm Sandy as well as the big Calgary flood.
It's going to be brutal on the other side of the office.
My v.p. is going to be freaked out.

1. Forums
  2. » FOUR INCHES OF RAIN IN TWO HOURS
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/27/2024 at 01:17:23