Toronto, August 21-23: Anyone interested in meeting up?

Thomas

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 08:08 pm
I'll be visiting the Toronto arera from August 21 to 23. EhBeth, my primary victim, asked me if we should start a thread to coordinate things. It's a good idea -- not her first, I have to say, so here goes ....

Anyone else interested in meeting up? If so, where and when?

ehBeth

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 08:16 pm
@Thomas,
sooo, technically, you'll be in the Kingston/Thousand Islands area on the 21st - and we're going to The Ex on the 22nd ... Laughing

the 21st is a Friday (here in Ontario at least), and the 22nd is Saturday if that helps planning for anyone who'd like to be part of the adventure!

Thomas

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 08:20 pm
@ehBeth,
Riiiiight ... so, I'm getting a feeling that a great day to see any other Torontonistas who might feel like seeing me would be ... Sunday the 23d!

Laughing
ehBeth

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 08:21 pm
@ehBeth,
some basic study materials

http://tourism.kingstoncanada.com/en/

http://www.visit1000islands.com/visitorinfo/

http://www.1000islandscruises.on.ca/

http://www.overheardinthetdot.com/

http://www.theex.com/

http://www.torontolife.com/
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 08:22 pm
dear thomas, I would meet you there but that's the week I'm scheduled to wash my hair.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 08:26 pm
@dyslexia,
drying it the next?

~~~

You'll miss out on seeing the home of 1000 Island dressing. So sad Crying or Very sad

Quote:
Thousand Island Dressing - It is made from bits of green olives, peppers, pickles, onions, hard-boiled eggs and other finely chopped ingredients.

The history of Thousand Island Dressing dates back to the early days of the 20th century and centers in the small resort village of Clayton, New York. A fishing guide named George LaLonde, Jr. guided visiting fishermen for Black Bass and Northern Pike through the waters of the 1000 Islands. After a day of fishing, he and his wife, Sophia LaLonde, would serve what they called “shore dinners” with a different and unusual salad dressing. The following story on the origin of Thousand Island Dressing was given to me by Allen and Susan Benas, owners of the Thousand Islands Inn:

“On one particular occasion, George LaLonde, Jr., was guiding a very prominent New York City stage actress named May Irwin and her husband. May Irwin, a renowned cook and cookbook authoress in her own right, was particularly impressed with the dressing and asked George for the recipe. Sophia La Londe, who created the dressing, was flattered by the request and willingly gave her the recipe. Sophia also had given the recipe to Ella Bertrand, who’s family owned the Herald Hotel, one of the most popular hotels in Clayton. May Irwin and her husband had stayed at the Herald Hotel during their early vacations in the island and had already tasted the dressing. It was May Irwin who gave it the name Thousand Island and it was Ella Bertrand who first served it to the dining public.

Upon her return to New York City, May Irwin gave the recipe to fellow 1000 Islands’ summer visitor, George C. Boldt, who was owner of the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York. Equally impressed with the dressing and its flavor. Mr. Boldt directed his world famous maitre di, Oscar Tschirky, to put the dressing on the hotel’s menu. In doing so, Oscar Tschirky earned credit for introducing the dressing to the world.”

same chef is responsible for introducing the Waldorf salad to the world

http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/SaladHistory.htm
Thomas

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 08:36 pm
@dyslexia,
Dys, there's enough water in Lake Ontario to wash your hair in. The water temperature should be fine, too!

Beth, thanks for the study materials!

(off studying)
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 08:40 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:
[...] that's the week I'm scheduled to wash my hair.

Surely it's unnecessary, as you can just keep your hat on?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 08:52 pm
Okay, ehBeth, I'm trying to get the dates, places, and people straight.

• We'll be spending the 21st, and perhaps the evening of the 20th, in the Thousand Islands area. Places that have come up are Gananoque and Kingston. Which A2Kers live there? Hamburger? Anyone else?

• The 22th we'll be at the Ex, which is in Toronto. The 23d we'll be in Toronto, too. That's where you, Setanta, B., M-A., and M. are at.

Correct so far?

ehBeth

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 08:58 pm
@Thomas,
MAB (M-A) and her daughter M live just north of Kingston. They'll be going to the t-dot when we are. Neko Nomad apparently lives in Kingston as well.

brendalee (B) lives in Toronto, but Kingston is her hometown. She may be with us in Kingston on the 21st.

joeblow lives just east of Toronto, works in Toronto a few blocks from where I work now.

bogowo lives/works in Toronto.

Intrepid lives about an hour west of Toronto - on the way to Niagara Falls.

djjd lives further north and west of Toronto.

tai chi lives about an hour and a bit north of Toronto most of the year. During the summer, she's on Manitoulin Island (a great destination if you're ever up for an interesting trip in Ontario - great geology on the way there).

I wish I knew how to track down tico. I always wanted to meet her in person.

I'm forgetting at least one someone.
Setanta

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 09:40 pm
If Thomas comes to Toronto, do i have to be nice to him?
Thomas

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 07:39 am
@Setanta,
One of my spies informed me that you're an inside-the-closet mushball anyway. I promise I won't tell.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 08:38 am
We will be in the wet part of Canada then. (Hopefully).

If I can get this damn butterfly valve fixed.
Joeblow

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 09:02 am
@Thomas,
I was fortunate to spend a couple days on the water in the thousand islands last year. Though I can’t vouch for the cruises, I’d recommend a close look at those Thomas. It’s very pretty out there. Now the Ex is another story altogether and I think Beth is cruel to make you go.

Happily, the 23rd works perfectly for me, and I’d be delighted to join you wherever you are Very Happy

Joeblow

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 09:03 am
@farmerman,
Get your azz to Toronto farmerman. August 23rd is perfect!
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 09:05 am
@Setanta,
But of course!

But that won't be hard you ol' charmer.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 09:08 am
@ehBeth,
Wonder if the Wench is still in Toronto.

Shepaints (who I don't really know at all, and haven't seen recently) is just north of us isn't she?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 09:14 am
no money for a trip right now, and possibly going to be on the island at that time (or possibly tai chi and bil will be down this way), but will keep an eye on the developments in this thread

djjd62

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 09:15 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
djjd lives further north and west of Toronto.

Shocked north

how about south and west Wink
Joeblow

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 09:23 am
@djjd62,
Nononono. Ommmmmmm. Toronto, Toronto, Toronto!

Sigh.

A girl can dream can't she?

0 Replies