Veterinary Clinic In Toronto?

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2015 06:14 pm
Mr. M. and I will be in Toronto for the month of October, and I think it's very likely that we'll need to see a vet while we're there. Our little guy is now 14 1/2 and has multiple health problems, so we've been managing one crisis after another for the past year, but he's not ready to leave us just yet, thank goodness.

Anyone in the Toronto area have a compassionate and caring vet to recommend?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,738 • Replies: 15
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2015 06:22 pm
@mckenzie,
Do you know what part of town you'll be staying in? there are some terrific vets in town. You can send me a p.m. with details if you'd like.

Also - let us know if you'd like to get together for a little dog walk while you're here. Bella and I met longdog while she was here last week - took a little wander around Harbourfront together.
roger

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2015 06:39 pm
@ehBeth,
Longdog? I remember her. She had a picture on littlek's site. Kind of cute, if I recall.

I think I may have just dated myself.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2015 06:47 pm
@roger,
longdog's adorable Smile

it was six degrees of a2k all week - I met longdog, mab and her sister met ossob and diane .... and then mab and her sister were in Farmington.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2015 07:58 pm
@ehBeth,
Hi, Beth, I do know where we're staying. We're renting a loft just off Queen Street East, about three blocks from the Don River. I will PM you with the address.

I've looked online for a vet, but it's just so hard to know, so a recommendation would be welcome. He has an IBD, Cushings, a heart murmur, pancreatitis, and now anal sac cancer. The little guy hasn't been able to catch a break, but he's still fighting and happy, so we go on.

We'll be in TO to visit with our daughter, s-i-l and six-month old grandson. We haven't seen him since he was six weeks old. The plan is to leave them to their own devices on the weekends, so that leaves us free on the weekends, and a walk would be great, or something else, since little guy's limit for walks is 20 minutes to half an hour these days. I'll PM you with our cell number, as well.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2015 08:28 pm
@mckenzie,
Great - you're on my side of town Smile

There are a couple of great clinics in the Beach - just a bit east of where you will be.

These guys get great reviews

http://www.beachesanimalhospital.com/

There is also a very good clinic on the Danforth - about a five minute drive north of where you will be. They've taken terrific care of some friends' animals.

http://www.bluecrossanimalhospital.ca/

It is almost next to one of the best pet shops east of the Don - and the folks there are great with recommendations for all sorts of things. They might be able to suggest the best vet for your furkid's particular needs.

http://www.smallwonderspets.ca/

They were great with advice when Cleo and Bailey got old, and they've been super with help since we got Bella, who had her own puppy mill survivor issues at first.

A twenty minute walk would be fine with Bella - she gets most of her excitement from the transit ride that leads to some walks Smile There are some nice small parks near where you will be staying - and Riverdale Park is not that far either - about 5 minutes on the 504 King streetcar going toward Broadview subway station.

You'll be very close to http://www.marymacleod.ca/ so you know I'll be happy to pop by and say hey!

You'll also be near http://store.majesteas.ca/about-us which is a spot I've been wanting to check out.
mckenzie

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2015 01:58 pm
@ehBeth,
I looked online at both ... eeny, meeny, miney, mo. I'll ask which one carries his special diet.

The pet store looks interesting. It's hard to find treats that he can have, and it's just a short drive. Shortbread, for sure, and I do love my tea!

Did you get my PM?
ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2015 08:41 pm
@mckenzie,
Small Wonders and the Blue Cross Animal Hospital are on the same block on the Danforth. North side, east of Broadview.

About 10 minutes on the 504 streetcar - about the same by car simply because of the parking and walking Smile

There isn't much in the way of safe street parking on the Danforth - but there is a Green P lot a block north, behind the TTC station - and there is street parking you can sometimes nab within a block or two. I sometimes managed to get street parking on the street right next to the lot.

There is also a giant Shoppers Drug Mart in the same block - and the LCBO is in the next block. The Bulk Barn is across the street from the LCBO there. There is another quite good pet store just a few doors from the Bulk Barn - not quite as special as Small Wonders can be - but it's still very good.

___

no p.m. received

___

Set wanted to know why I didn't suggest our vet. Well, Christine and her team are fabulous - but she's a bit too far north and east to be handy for you.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2015 08:44 pm
@mckenzie,
If you've got time while you're here, we'll head to what is now A2K central. In the last year, Set and I have been there with longdog, McGentrix and margo. A few others have been there over the years. Old school Greek souvlaki joint - not fancy - but good food and generally friendly service Smile
mckenzie

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2015 04:23 pm
@ehBeth,
Hm, picking up on "not much in the way of safe parking" comment, but a Shoppers, LCBO and Bulk Barn are all good.

I Googled the area, and was able to do a walk-through of Small Wonders.

A "fabulous" vet is perfect. We're driving to TO, so will have the car and plan to drive all over and explore anyway. Our vet is a half-hour drive from us on a good traffic day, so distance is no problem.

We'll have lots of time for ourselves, evenings and weekends, and love Greek food. No chance they're pet-friendly, I suppose?

Will try that PM again.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2015 05:17 pm
@mckenzie,
<reading along, smiling>

None of my business of course, except I like you all and your doggies.
mckenzie

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2015 05:53 pm
@ossobuco,
Hi, Osso! How are things with you? Nice to see Pacco again.

Our little fellow is on borrowed time, unfortunately. We're enjoying our time with him while we can.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2015 06:57 pm
@mckenzie,
Yeah, Pacco my dear, still missed, as is Katy the wonderful.

Borrowed time with dogs I know about. Tender times.

Me, I'm fine (more or less, eh!)
ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2015 07:36 pm
@mckenzie,
Not unsafe because of the neighbourhood/neighbours - unsafe because the Danforth (in spots) is high on ticketing and towing. But there is good parking one big (for Toronto) block north of the Danforth. The Green P lot backs right onto the Shoppers Drug Mart so it's very handy.

p.m. rec'd Smile
mckenzie

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2015 09:23 pm
@ossobuco,
Yes, Katy, the Wonderful!

Very tender. A year ago, we thought he had three - four months so we're grateful for the extra time.

We'll make an Canadian out of you yet, eh.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2015 09:36 pm
@ehBeth,
Oh, that's a relief! Security we worry about, particularly with out-of town plates. Ticketing and towing we can handle. Used to that!

Glad you got that p.m.
0 Replies