What newspapers / (online) journals do you read? And why?

nimh

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 04:29 pm
Always looking to broaden my outlook with new regular sources ... plus, I'm really interested in what the media landscape looks like around you.

What newspaper(s) do you read on a daily basis, and which others do you read at least once a week (off- or online)? What are your favourite magazines, journals, e-zines, when it comes to keeping up with the news and understanding it?

Especially cool would be if, apart from naming them, you'd explain why you like 'em - what makes 'em so special?

Thanks all
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 5,226 • Replies: 27
No top replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 06:00 pm
Nimh I have trouble reading on line. I try tor read the Dallas Morning News daily but really miss the Washington Post.

Monthly I read the New Yorker, Atlantic Monthly, and Vaniety Fair.

I alway take time to read the weekly free news the Dallas Obsever.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 06:40 pm
Nothing exciting... we get two local daily papers, from Seattle and from Tacoma, plus the local weekly. These are ho-hum papers but we like to know what's going on around here. We also receive the daily Christian Science Monitor which is a tidy way to get some very good news reporting -- small in format, big in ideas. They don't have a party platform, so the news isn't filtered in either a liberal or conservative way. They have an amazing ability to write an in-depth article about a week before it becomes front page news around the world. About every third week I buy the NYTimes Sunday paper for the magazine.

The magazines we receive and read are the World Press Review which is dated, but gives us views (some in translation) of articles from newspapers around the world. It provides some real insight into what people outside the US are reading and thinking. We get the Atlantic Monthly which I read for a few of the articles -- it is very stylish. I also get Martha Stewart's Living so I can learn about a vast number of household things I'd otherwise never even know about.

Mr.P reads the NYTimes on the web and emails me good articles or prints them out. I use Yahoo for a brief check on various news sources in Arizona, New York and Scotland, plus it gives me sports scores. When a news story is brewing, I'm likely to check the "breaking stories" on the London Times website, but they've gotten fussy about being paid, so that isn't always a good source, anymore. I used to read the New Yorker on the web, but haven't had time for that lately. It is an excellent magazine for opinion and arty news.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 11:00 am
nimh<

My favorite source of news online is www.nytimes.com. Despite some lapses in the not too distant past, it still remains the nation's "newspaper of record."

I also have a daily look-see at www.msnbc.com and www.abcnews.com. These two outlets are well formatted and have a variety of news and features. Another frequent favorite is www.reuters.com because it seems to report the "big" stories faster than some other sources.

I subscribe to our regional daily newspaper because it is the best source for local and state news. I also receive the weekly Newsweek and the fast-to-read The Week.

For spiritual enlightenment, I subscribe to the Daily Word. My monthly Consumer Reports is a good source of, well, consumer news and has adequate documentation and breezy language.

There are other sources I use, but those listed above come immediately to mind.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 05:54 pm
Piffka, is it true that the PI is going under? Sad
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 06:16 pm
HobitBob -- Yes, it is going under but they're fighting it. I think there's some sort of lawsuit right now that still hasn't been settled. A couple of years ago the PI was taken over by the Seattle Times who print it, manage circulation and subscriptions, etc. but allow the PI to have separate reporters & editors. Then the Times said they financially couldn't do it anymore and wanted to stop. First the PI staff and then some local citizens fought this. It is good, after all, to have a two-newspaper city. We get the PI since we prefer morning papers, but on Sunday we get the Times, though it includes the PI inside. A little bit confusing.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 07:06 pm
Denver is sort of the same way. The Post and News are owned by teh same entity, althouogh they maintain seperate editorial staff and perspectives, except on weekends, when they co-publish.
Alright, what news sources do I read?
Local: Rocky Mountain news, Denver Post, Boulder Daily Camera.
National: NY Times, Wash Post, LA Times, Seattle PI, Seattle Times, Balto. Sun.
International: BBC, Guardian, London Times,Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, Suddeutsche Zeitung, Bild (only for the articles...I swear! Shocked )Le Monde, al-Jazeera, Jordan Times, Ha'aretz, Arab News.
I don't read them all from beginning to end, and mostly just scan the websites for headlines that lok interesting,and then read those stories.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 12:34 am
Besides my local paper "The Patriot" - it's really true: http://www.derpatriot.de/grafik/basic/logo.jpg - I just read offline the Süddeutsche Zeitung (more or less regularily) and Der Spiegel, Die Zeit and Stern as magazines/weeklies.

Online, I read regularily the Independent and Guardian. Looking regularily over a couple of others.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 01:01 am
I subscribe to the Wall Street Journal and The Economist. Both are well written, factual, and conservative publications. The conservative bias is more prominate it the Journal than The Economist, especially in the editorial content.

Like Joanne, I'm more comfortable with printed pages than monitors. I've also noticed that online articles sometimes change/update. What is printed, stays printed, which is somewhat reassuring.

Piffka has found a good source in Christian Science Monitor. The name is a little offputting, but it is one of the best papers in the US.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 04:32 am
The Boston Glob. On Paper.

(Also New Yorker and Atlantic Monthly)
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 05:21 am
For (usually) quality news with a (slightly left-wing) British slant, I would recommend (like Walter) The Guardian/Observer. The BBC site is also usually pretty good, and they have all sorts of science, arts, nature, entertainment stuff not strictly current affairs.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 06:00 am
Morning is not complete until I can read the Times with my breakfast - and it HAS to be the times. Sometimes due to errors or something, the newspaper man delivers the Telegraph and my entire day is spoilt !!

In office - a quick scan of nytimes.com and a detailed study of ft.com, and if I am in a frivilous mood, then bbc. Also a detailed study of timesofindia.com to catch with news back home during my lunch time !!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 09:10 am
I love the BBC online because it's easy to use, it's vast and it seems to have a fair coverage of things. But, I don't read it daily unless there's a crisis going on (like the war in Iraq).

I check out google.news daily to see if there's anything I'd like to investigate further. They list different news sources for the same story. I usually follow the reuters link.

And I get the Boston Globe at home. I don't think it's a terrible great paper, but it's ok and it's my local. I love doing a daily crossword on paper.
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 09:16 am
For news, I like the NYT and my local paper, Tulsa World. My favorite online journal is Arts and Letters Daily because they have a great cross-section of articles from various newspapers and journals from all over the world. They also have a great list of news/journal links, which makes it easy to discover new sources of information and have them at hand.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 09:21 am
I should add that I get a lot of news from a radio source: national public radio. The problem with papers is that the news in them is old, often it's more detailed than the clips on the radio, but it's old news to me. Like today the front page of the globe has a story about a new breast cancer drug which I heard about in some detail on yesterday evening's news radio.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 07:16 am
OK, I never actually answered this one myself.

What I read:

- Pretty much every day: either de Volkskrant, NRC Handelsblad or Trouw, occasionally Het Parool, usually in the cafe. Those be Dutch newspapers. De Volkskrant is left-leaning, Het Parool is too but local (Amsterdam), Trouw is liberal Christian and the NRC used to be the classical liberal, ie rightwing, newspaper for the rich, now mainstreamed into a centrist paper with more in-depth reporting than the others.

I like the NRC best for its more extensive reporting on foreign news; they've also got the best reporting on Eastern Europe. But it appears in the afternoon rather than the morning, which is a pain. De Volkskrant is therefore in practice more the staple, and its reporting is perfectly OK too really, just a little more superficial and more prone to go with the hype or opinion of the day, plus their extras (you know, culture, science, health etc) are far too chatty, whereas the NRC has good history pages for example. Trouw is OK too, they have a few pages every day on religion which is always interesting, but foreign news really takes a back seat and its simply too thin - if I want only a bitesized portion of news I can just as well pick up the free Metro at the station.

- I dont really read Dutch weeklies, they have little to offer beyond what the thick Saturday editions of the newspapers have.

- In the cafe or on Mondays in the library I sometimes read The Guardian or The Independent from the UK and I look up their websites regularly too; when I'm in cafe Polmans Huis I indulge in The Times (their letters to the editor section is hilarious).

Problem is the blatant politization of British newspapers: I wouldnt know where to go for an objective view, which is frustrating. Also, barring the occasional special report they're mostly only interesting for the inside scoop on British politics; foreign news is relegated to an absurdly superficial/marginalised coverage. And even reporting on the UK is tainted by a probably indirectly tabloid-influenced obsession for crime reporting, which especially in The Times seems to take up a third, sometimes half of their domestic coverage. Still, those Brits can write: no other newspapers I know are as much fun to read as the British ones. Such clever turns of phrase that make you smile, such articulate wit, especially in columns and the like.

- Again in the library I sometimes read the Sueddeutsche Zeitung (left-leaning) or the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (right-leaning); also when there are elections in Germany or some neighbouring Central-European country I'd buy the FAZ or Die Welt (right-leaning), because the FAZ is guaranteed to have the most scrupulously complete numbers and Die Welt has the best info graphics ;-).

When I'm in Germany I usually buy the Tagesspiegel from Berlin or alternatively, the Frankfurter Rundschau because, German not being my native language, either is an easier and more overviewable read than the Sueddeutsche, which with all its extras is the "fattest" newspaper I know; or the TAZ, also from Berlin, to keep abreast of the latest in the leftist scene.

I also faithfully buy the weekly Freitag, also from Berlin, whenever I'm in Germany, because it's always sure to have some original and well-written report on an undercovered subject and though sometimes all too dogmatically and intellectually leftist in editorial line or writing style, they are nevertheless open-minded enough to also regularly include eye-opening and unconventional takes. Plus, they have the most enjoyable "back page" with what-made-you-smile-today type observations and anecdotes in regular columns I know. (Also available online).

- Unavailable in Holland but always interesting to pick up when you're there are the English newspapers of Central and Eastern Europe: the Prague Post (pretty OK), Warsaw Voice (seen too few to judge), St Petersburg Press (fair to poor), Budapest Times (poor) and Budapest Sun (very weak). Some others have come and gone: Budapest Week, which had good culture and film sections, and the Czech Prognosis, which was really cool but folded back in '93 or something.

- I used to be subscribed to the Hungarian Quarterly, which is an amazingly interesting and well-crafted review of Hungarian history, politics and literature the size of a small book. Will still pick it up whenever I'm there. I took out a test subscription to Granta once, which was also very nice (literature as well as some political background) and Lettre International, which had great in-depth stuff on politics, culture and literature (even though it being available in German or French editions, it wasnt an easy read). But I cant afford those.

- From Belgium I read De Standaard whenever I'm in cafe Polmans, which is a good mainstream newspaper of centrist bend with relatively quality reporting; French newspapers I only buy if there's elections or something, my French isnt good enough for more. When I do, I buy Le Monde or Liberation, both left-leaning (the former more traditional, the latter more liberal).

- Cant get any other American newspapers here than USA Today (which I never buy), the International Herald Tribune (which I occasionally buy when travelling and consider a pretty good newspaper) and the New York Review of Books, which is good but (too) expensive on import price. So the US stuff I look up online.

I read The New Republic religiously as you'll have noticed - I disagree with much of their stance on Israel/Palestine and the war on terrorism - they're very hawkish and US-centred when it comes to foreign politics, they endorsed Joe Lieberman for God's sake; the same goes for their original take on Iraq. But this editorial stance is unnoticable in their many insightful and open-minded reports from elsewhere around the world (and they have a good Iraq blog now too). On US politics, they're unmissable, overall with a distinct political preference for the Dems yes, but with a very inclusive range of POVs among their writers and a very unencumbered approach to things, a willingness to explore and leave prejudices behind. Plus, their authors often write sharply and wittily. The only thing that bothers me is the perpetual sneer in their articles - they're not nice people, I sometimes think.

Slate sometimes does have a likewise unencumbered approach too and is definitely always an enjoyable read, but is still more for the faithful so to say, and often more superficial.

Otherwise, I regularly check in with the New York Times and the Washington Post, though for the day-to-day news (in the run-up to the elections for example) I relied more intensely on MSNBC, which has a much more userfriendly website than CNN. I also liked MSNBC because it seemed to take a relatively neutral/unpartisan view - I have strong enough opinions of myself, I dont need the editors to impose theirs on me as well - and that seems to be a rare thing to find in America.

Not that the news is reported with half as much partisan fervour as in Britain - it isn't, if anything the NYT, WaPo and LAT report things in such a deliberately formal and cautious style they become quite bland to read - just that it's hard to get a sense of where to go to find out what the average American would hear or see or think. The NYT and CNN I think are fine, but I dont trust to get a sense from them about how an average American sees things and when thats what I want to know, I have a problem, because the only national alernatives (Fox News, Washington Times and periodicals like The National Review) are in turn positively raucously partisan from the right. Good to sniff at to find out whats brewing there, but hardly a credible alternative. So following the elections I ended up Googling up random local newspapers from different states to get a sense of how they saw things.

From the national papers (NYT, WaPo, LAT, Chicago Tribune) I like the NYT best, mostly for their background stories, bits of history and local stuff, where they recount events with flair and insight. Its just the day-to-day national politics that's turned into these standard-type press agency-like stories (lack of courage?). Oh, and I need to remember to check in with the Christian Science Monitor once in a while, because when occasionally I see something from them, its usually pretty good.

What else ... when I'm interested in a specific topic I go to specific websites, on Central Asia for example, but thats kind of beyond the scope of this thread. And I'm sure I forgot some stuff.

Oh, I havent had a TV in a while. Used to get my news from the public broadcasters (fine), commercial stations (also OK) or the BBC (good). Loathed CNN "International", which unlike BBC World I didnt consider very "international" at all, either in its choice of coverage or its perspective. Plus the endless commercials, finance/business programmes and nonsense items on sports or glamour were tiresome. But mostly it was the hyped-up over-excited always-focusing on "breaking news" from whatever war currently has most to do with the US - lots of things exploding, symbolic interview with "man from the street", no apparent urge to report beyond that, hardly any context or background and rarely ever a non-American expert or commentator, that turned me off. And I'll forever associate its political stance with what they had on Crossfire back when the Gulf War was on - from the "left", some nameless meek liberal who would neatly fit in any of our centre-right parties, from the right ... Pat Buchanan. Shocked

There, finally. I filed my own answer to my thread after all.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 07:29 am
I read the New York Times and like to browse through Democracy Now
gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 07:31 am
I'm glad to see you don't bother with USA Today, nimh.

What a piece of trash.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 07:42 am
Like li'l ole K, I get my news mostly from NPR. The papers are for deep background and the features. Online, I have NYTimes and Boston Globe in my favorites file. I subscribe to Arlantic Monthly and The New Yorker for hard copy. But I also keep this in my favorites:

http://www.onlinenewspapers.com/
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 07:43 am
<grin>

by the time I'd finished reading nimh's response, gus had had the chance to post twice

i used to think i was a fast reader. not anymore. i'd have to give up my job to read as much as nimh does.
0 Replies