What newspapers / (online) journals do you read? And why?

nimh

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 07:43 am
Hey Gus, and there was me thinking you'd go more for Classic Tractor or Farm Animal Welfare News ...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 07:45 am
Nah Ebeth, if you read closely you'll see I dont read more than one newspaper a day on most days, plus what I look up online ...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 07:48 am
i guess it was all those 'in the library'/'in the cafe' offerings.

hamburger gets stacks of magazines and papers every week at the library and he and mrs. hamburger read them (as well as whacks of online papers and magazines). they're retired, so they can do it. i was wondering how you were doing it.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 07:56 am
Well I'm free on Mondays and I've been spending half of that day in the library lately ... and I do really like sitting in a cafe after work for an hour or two, just browsing through the papers, and on my free days I read a lot too ... plus, what I read online when I come home (or, err :blush: when i'm at my work and cant concentrate).

So, perhaps harder to quantify than all that ... on most days, its one newspaper plus looking up TNR, NYT, some other Dutch newspaper and of course A2K online. Then on free days, sometimes nothing (if I go away for the day), sometimes a couple of newspapers (if I dont). And when something's up, elections or the like, I buy papers accordingly, as I do when I'm abroad - always buy the local papers to see whats up and if I can find something new.

So yes, pretty much a news junkie - I dont get round much to reading books, alas - but its not like I read all those papers every week or something - thats all I wanted to say.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 08:05 am
<laughinig>

good qualifying there, nimh

you read a lot of papers

<as do I - especially when travelling - but not in your range on a regular, worklife, basis>

My minor fame at work is that I read most of three newspapers every day. 2 (one right of centre, one left of centre) on the subway on the way to work, and 1 (furthest right - and it's pretty dang far right - you can buy on most newstands in Canada) through the day as I take tea breaks and lunch
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 12:37 pm
@gustavratzenhofer,
Nyt had lost my respect but still I peruse .
To get international views I read A2K( a forum but not a media) and other global English dailies and weeklies.
aidan

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 01:04 am
@Ramafuchs,
The Times (London) is sort of my default paper during the week. But I also really like the Independent and the Guardian - so I'll often buy two - never three to read on a day to day basis during the week.

I like the Saturday edition of the Guardian- so I buy that every Saturday.

I like the Sunday edition of the Times - so I buy that every Sunday.

I also buy the Times Literary Supplement.

I like the Guardian, because I enjoy their coverage of societal issue - I feel they look at issues more in depth - it's like they'll have a theme and really look at that specific issue from every angle- aside from just reporting any current news or events that have to do with that issue.
I like their coverage of the arts and literature. They have section in which they highlight the best of music, (pop, live, classical) and recomment cd's or shows. They do the same with film, theater, books, etc.
I also like it physical format or layout. I like its size - you can lay in bed and read it without the pages getting all messed up.

I like the Independent because I feel that it presents its coverage a little more honestly and straight forwardly without bowing to mass taste and presenting its prose and commentary with such heavy doses of wit and sarcasm- people trying to be clever - that I find in the Times.

But I do like the Times in terms of breadth of coverage. I feel I get an overall and more mainstream view - which I think is necessary.

In the US - I read my local daily and NY Times Sunday edition.
I also buy and read Rolling Stone.

I don't read news online.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 02:53 am
I subscribe to the Boston Globe and New York Times on-line editions to keep up with what is going on in the "Old Country". Then I read the Hilo Tribune Herald when I remember to pick it up for local stuff.
0 Replies