How do you deal with an insane employee?

Linkat

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 09:54 am
Honestly I think I have a person reporting to me that is borderline insane. We just had merit reviews - this typically includes our annual raise. Unfortunately for me, and those above my position, we will not be getting raises due to the economy. Those below my level are eligible for a raise - the target raise is 2%. Yes measly, but under the current economy better than most (considering many have lost jobs and had cuts in pay).

One employee got slightly above the 2%. He is a generally a good performer (not stellar and has ups and downs) - also he has lots of would I say lack of soft skills. As he is my indirect (a manager is between us), I did not personally deliver the review or merit info (just reviewed and read it). As with most companies, there is an opportunity for the employee to also make comments.

Well he did - it was an economics lesson on real income - it was very detailed with actual stats and stuff. Now it is in his permanent record. I did get a good chuckle - but what the h*ll do I do? I think he is insane?

chai2

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:12 am
Not sure why you think that's insane?

Especially if his numbers are correct.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:21 am
@Linkat,
You think that's insane? I had a crew guy chase another crew guy around threatening him with a running chainsaw because he took a sip of his energy drink without asking. The lunatic is now gone, but we still jump if we hear a chainsaw start up where we can't see the user.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:32 am
@Green Witch,
I was chased around the repair shop by a big angry mechanic once...

not so fun back then, kinda really funny now.

(be careful who's fuse you lite.)
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:40 am
Before you determine the sanity, ask who is this person sleeping with? What does he/she know about the boss personal life? Does he/she have revealing photos that could be incriminating? Once these questions are answered you may know the truth.
0 Replies

Muwahaha

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 11:04 am
@Linkat,
This employee made a comment, which he is entitled to do, and that classifies him as insane? You must be kidding.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 11:09 am
How do you deal with an insane employee?
Around here, we promote him.
Linkat

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 11:10 am
Of course I am exagerrating when I say insane - anyone who has read anything I've written before will realize that.

It does lack rational thinking though. I did look at the numbers and they make sense so it isn't the calculations that are not rational. But why would you do this?

It is now in your permanent record. You try for another job in the company and you won't get it. It could insult and offend anyone above you that has access to this file.

I have no issue with putting in comments - even negative ones - but something constructive - not something that ends up sounding bitter and childish. Something that will only hurt him.

And there have been other childish immature behaviors (including overdrinking at a company function, caught stealing - something stupid and getting in trouble to the point where I received an email from corporate security).
Linkat

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 11:10 am
@George,
Thanks for the tip - this could help my career path!
chai2

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 11:16 am
oh, ok.

I guess I was looking at it like you could really make a case for a larger increase by presenting your value to the company vs. what your increase was in real spending power.....or something like that.

If he's childish/immature in other ways, well, let this be a learning experience for him.

I got a letter from a terminated employee that ended with "Vengence is mine sayeth the Lord"

um...ok, there's few ways we can take that....
George

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 11:20 am
@Linkat,
Quote:
Thanks for the tip - this could help my career path!

Glad to be of service.
I'm available for management retreats and Tupperware parties.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 11:23 am
@chai2,
Nice - love that line!

Seriously I work for a large international company. This employee actually got his current job by applying internally - he was working elsewhere. He has always told me he loves the company and is very loyal - so at least on the surface, he is saying he wants to stay here is some capacity.

Now it is known that our company does not compensate well with high raises and like I said he has worked here a few years. They tend to compensate with other benefits including bonuses (which are pretty substancial). It has been announced ahead of time due to the economy and losses (what company hasn't) that positions over level x will not get raises and those below will be targeted at 2%.

He gets over 2% - no mention before of his dissatisfaction so the bonehead puts this in his comment field rather than saying something more mature and reasonable about the disappointment in the low raises and I would even have no issue with saying it is below the cost of living. But to give an economics lesson (and to top it off I have a masters in eco and so does his direct manager)? I ask this question, if you were to get this individual applying for a job and you read in his comment field a version of eco 101 written as an exam question, would you hire him?
George

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 11:41 am
@Linkat,
Quote:
I ask this question, if you were to get this individual applying for a job and you
read in his comment field a version of eco 101 written as an exam question,
would you hire him?

Depends on the job and what his strengths are.
I work in high-tech and I've got some co-workers who are just this clueless,
but are damn good in their scientific and technical domains.
0 Replies

Muwahaha

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 11:54 am
@Linkat,
Would I hire him? There are too many variables that need to be considered in order to answer that question. I would hire someone based on work ethic, reliability, experience and other considerations. I would not totally rule someone out just because of a bad evaluation.
Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 12:04 pm
Must be me. Or the fact that I haven't worked in that kind of hierarchical environment for quite some years. But I see nothing whatever outre or bizarre in this person's behavior. A tiny tad eccentric, maybe. That's all. To label it "insane" -- even as a joke -- is overreaction to the nth degree.
Linkat

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 12:40 pm
@Muwahaha,
His evaluation wasn't bad - it was actually was a good evaluation. I am basing it on his response. That shows that the person is immature and would have a negative attitude. When you have the option of hiring several different people, you do not want a reason that spells out trouble.
Linkat

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 12:42 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Because you have little or no sense of humor.

I did get you read this - see how labeling this certain ways peeks one's interest?

Also, I have other reasons beyond this example.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 12:42 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
When you have the option of hiring several different people, you do not want a
reason that spells out trouble.

Good point.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 12:56 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
caught stealing

Wow! Here in the UK, just about every job I have ever had has been with employers where being caught stealing anything right down to the value of a candy bar in the cafeteria would have (and actually had to my knowledge) resulted in instant dismissal for gross misconduct, with possible prosecution if the value justified it. This is pretty normal. If the "relationship of trust" is irreparably damaged by the employee's conduct, out they go. You know about the candy bar or the toner cartridge, what else has happened that you don't know about?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 01:07 pm
@contrex,
There have been some case where it even was less worth than a candy bar here in Germany ...