How do you deal with an insane employee?

Linkat

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 01:33 pm
@contrex,
Well it was kinda an odd thing - at the holiday party - he was caught leaving with one of the decorations by security .... then began to argue with security ... drinking of course was involved. What most likely saved him was the alcohol (at least some) was supply by the company.
George

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 02:22 pm
@Linkat,
Prob'ly not funny but I'm imagining this guy slurring "Wreath? What wreath?"
roger

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 02:39 pm
Reading the title "How do you deal with an insane employee?" and skipping over every thing else, I'm reminded of Bartelby the Schrivener. On the subject of dealing with a truely insane employee, it's a classic.
0 Replies

Muwahaha

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 08:12 pm
@Linkat,
You can tell that this person in question is immature and negative due to one response on an evaluation. I still think you need to consider other attributes before you judge a person based on one response.

You are ambiguous as to the type of work that is performed by this person. Does he represent the company positively? What work does he perform? Was he even told what kind of impression his response generated? There are too many unknowns as far as I am concerned to give you an accurate answer to your question.

A company party where alcohol is involved is just asking for trouble.
solipsister

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 09:10 pm
@Linkat,
peeks one's interest

now that's insane
Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 09:26 pm
@solipsister,
Quote:
peeks one's interest

now that's insane

Ahh, you caught that, 'sister. Proud of ya. I was going to let it go for fear that if I commented, it might sound like some kind of sour grapes.
Sglass

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 02:35 am
Linkat, what would it cost to train another person for this particular job. What would be the time factor in determining how much training the replacement will receive.

Time = Money

It is cheaper to fix the employee.
OGIONIK

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 07:42 am
@Sglass,
is this an instance where he should bow to the salary giving overlords and not say anything or what?

was he complaining about his income or something?

i dont get it, i suck at t3h numb3r$
Muwahaha

Reply Sun 12 Jul, 2009 08:20 am
@Linkat,
Link quote
"But to give an economics lesson (and to top it off I have a masters in eco and so does his direct manager)? I ask this question, if you were to get this individual applying for a job and you read in his comment field a version of eco 101 written as an exam question, would you hire him?"

Did your ego get hurt by his comment. I ask because of what you stated in the quote above. Did it occur to you that this individual is showing that he is conscientious and recognizes a problem. Did this question of yours get resolved?
Linkat

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 08:25 am
@Muwahaha,
Actually a company party with alchol involved is not asking for trouble. We are all adults and should be able to handle our alcohol. This is a professional job - it is not a first time job. It is a job where you are required a college degree and x number of years experience. It is not a job for children. The expectations of the job is to be professional.

And yes you can tell by one response that a person is immature. I have been in management for over 10 years - I have always been rated most highly in my management skills and dealing with employees. And I am not ambiguous to the work performed as I have mentioned the performance is good, but not stellar. Part of the job responsibilities is dealing with others for example other groups both peers and those at higher levels. This person is not meeting job expectations by his lack of professionalism.

How can some one represent the company positively if they over drink and steal a Holiday decoration? How do they represent the company positively if they piss and moan in front of the group, call in sick and leave early because they are dissatisifed with a raise that is above the target range?

And of course he has been repeatedly spoken regarding his behaviour at the party - he agreed his behaviour was childish and he apoligised and said it would not occur again. He has been repeatedly spoken to about his lack of professionalism.
Linkat

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 08:26 am
@Merry Andrew,
Usually sour grapes - I assume you never made a typo.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 08:27 am
@Sglass,
We have and continue to work with the employee. He does have potential if he can overcome his lack of professionalism and immaturity - by the way he has agreed in the past that he is "young" and immature.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 08:29 am
@OGIONIK,
I have no issue at all with making comments and not being happy with a review and/or raise. I am not happy with my 0% increase. However, it is how you handle it. Including comments in the comment field should be used if you deem it necessary. Even if it is to express your unhappiness - you should, but it should be handled professionally. It is a professional job and you can be critical and still be professional. I actually have another individual in the same position who did utilize this in the appropriate manner.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 08:31 am
@Muwahaha,
Actually it didn't I laughed my a$$ off when I read it. If you read above - it could offend some is what I stated or at least meant. I just mentioned it because it could have assumed that it would have offended either of us and what the heck would you gain by offending your manager and his manager?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 08:34 am
It sounds to me like he feels that he has little or no way of communicating honestly with his overlords, and so took the opportunity of the comments section on the review to say something that he wanted to say. Maybe not so mature, but possibly understandable.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 08:45 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

There have been some case where it even was less worth than a candy bar here in Germany ...

What can be worth less than a candy bar ?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 09:21 am
David wrote:

You really are clueless, aren't you, David?

Things that people steal which are worth less than a candy bar:

- In the office: Sheets of paper, envelopes, post stamps, pencils..
- In the workshop: Screws, bolts, even screwdrivers..

Etc..
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 09:32 am
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

David wrote:

You really are clueless, aren't you, David?

Things that people steal which are worth less than a candy bar:

- In the office: Sheets of paper, envelopes, post stamps, pencils..
- In the workshop: Screws, bolts, even screwdrivers..

Etc..

Thanx for the clues,
but I think that some of that stuff is worth more.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 09:46 am
David wrote:
but I think that some of that stuff is worth more.

Clueless as you are, I knew you were to reply something along that line.

I'm ready to give you some prices (US) just in case you don't realize you have no idea about the cost of a candy bar...
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 09:50 am

OK