How do you deal with an insane employee?

Francis

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 09:59 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Average candy bar = $0.75
Post stamp for a large post card = $0.44
Sheet of white paper = $0.01
8 X 1-1/4" Construction Screw = $0.03
Torx screwdriver (from a set) = $0.60
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 11:12 am
@George,
Oh I did find this funny.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 11:14 am
@FreeDuck,
yeah I can understand it - but it was plain old stupid because ultimately it will only hurt him. I guess that was the way I was venting - what a stupid move - he had potential if only he could get over the maturity thing - he even admitted before that he had an issue. Then wham another immature thing.

I guess I am more mad at the fact that he screwed himself and was stupid - I just vented a bit.
Muwahaha

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 08:44 am
@Linkat,
You can tell by 1 response that an individual is immature? I have also been in management and was responsible for hiring potential employees. However I never judged a person on 1 response. I think you should be more open minded and no offense intended.
TTH

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 09:35 am
@Linkat,
Heck Linkat I act immature and goofy here on this site and in real life. When I worked, I was professional and never represented the company negatively. The last job I had I left under negative circumstances and still today I will not speak badly of them. Is this person that bad and if so, why is this person still employed with your company?

btw muwahaha funny name Laughing Laughing
Linkat

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 09:57 am
@Muwahaha,
Did you read anything else I worked - I listed several other instances where I pointed out his lack of professionalism and immaturity. Perhaps you work in another field/area where this is not an issue.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 10:00 am
@TTH,
It takes quite a bit to get fired. There is many processed to go through to get some one fired. He has his ups and downs. Sometimes he is great and others he is horrible. Toward me he always acts professional - but to his direct manager and to others he does not always. Like I wrote above - most of this is venting - more that I am upset that some one that has potential does something so stupid on his permanent record.
TTH

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 10:38 am
@Linkat,
Sometimes it is good to vent. Everyone makes mistakes and just because this person did something stupid that it is in his permanent record shouldn't affect him forever.

I know people that during their 1 year probation period were recommended for termination. It has been over 10 & 15 years and they are still with their respective companys. The 2 I know of perform their jobs well and it would have been the company's loss had they listened and fired them.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 08:01 pm

When I was an employer, I had less interest in the mental health
of my employees than I had in their objective conduct.

I was satisfied to assume sanity and to hold every employee
responsible for reasonable behavior. I have never given the
M'Naghten Rule much credit. I care about what he DOES,
not what he THINKS.

Linkat

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 10:44 am
@TTH,
I don't think it will effect him permanently - it will in the shorter-term. If he were to apply within the company in the next couple of years, I am sure that his comment will raise a red flag. Although it may help him if he comes forth and explains he was stupid and immature and has outgrown that.

On the other hand, he has been telling us this same story the past year - each time he does something stupid and immature.

It wouldn't affect him outside the company as this would not be given outside.

I agree venting is a good thing - but venting is what you do with your friends and family, not in something that is a permanent record.
Linkat

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 10:49 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Yeah - until that insane employee comes into work with a shotgun
TTH

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 11:49 am
@Linkat,
Have you or anyone in your company even spoken to him personally? Does he even know how you feel about what he did? I only ask because not knowing the exact circumstances behind the situation, I don't like to assume anything.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 12:09 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Yeah - until that insane employee comes into work with a shotgun

That 's a good point.
Something like that happened
when I worked for the NY Stock Exchange in the 1960s.
A disgruntled ex-employee with blood in his eye
arrived and was disarmed by our armed guards. Its a good thing
thay brought their guns in to work that day.

David
Linkat

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 02:10 pm
@TTH,
Yes - He is an indirect report - his manager reports to me. His manager has spoken to him about it. And of his other actions. As they are not at the same location as me, I feel it is better for his direct manager to speak with, although I have stated that I am willing to also have a conversation (even if it has to be over the phone).

He has acknowleged his immature behaviour before - I think he is upset at the low raise (which everyone is - I am because at my level we were not given any no matter how good our performance) - I have vented, but more with personal friends and family. It really is not going to change anything by his behaviour other than make him look bitter and bad.

I do have one on one conversations with him and my other reports on a regular basis - to discuss all sorts of things - not just performance.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 02:11 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I know it is rare, but you really don't know who could go postal.
0 Replies