Ginsberg: Roe V Wade was to reduce undesirable population types

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 07:50 am
http://www.barrysobamanation.com/otherissuespage1.htm

Quote:

Q: Are you talking about the distances women have to travel because in parts of the country, abortion is essentially unavailable, because there are so few doctors and clinics that do the procedure? And also, the lack of Medicaid for abortions for poor women?

JUSTICE GINSBURG: Yes, the ruling about that surprised me. [Harris v. McRae " in 1980 the court upheld the Hyde Amendment, which forbids the use of Medicaid for abortions.] Frankly I had thought that at the time Roe was decided, there was concern about population growth and particularly growth in populations that we don’t want to have too many of. So that Roe was going to be then set up for Medicaid funding for abortion. Which some people felt would risk coercing women into having abortions when they didn’t really want them. But when the court decided McRae, the case came out the other way. And then I realized that my perception of it had been altogether wrong....

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,201 • Replies: 2
No top replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 07:53 am
Actually a good idea in theory, but entirely unworkable in reality since no two people are going to have the same notion of what 'undesirables' amount to. My own take would be anybody who had ever voted for democrats in more than one election since about 1972...
Yankee

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 08:02 am
@gungasnake,
Laughing
0 Replies