Quote:
Spendi, I TOOK the video

Well--its a very beautiful video then.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Sat 26 Sep, 2009 11:31 am
Here she is! Lovely pictures, Mame! It seems like you've been really busy
cooking and entertaining people, even more than you anticipated. Well, I am
glad you're getting back to civilization on the 2nd.
Mame

Sat 26 Sep, 2009 05:05 pm
@CalamityJane,
Me, too, CJ. There are two of us who have been here since Day 1 and we are getting bushed. Well, him worse than me, and he's only 23. He started writing his own address on the rice bags (where the samples are being sent).

I got my food for the last week today and then the expediter started telling me his woman problems, so there went an hour. I tell you, the cook is like your bartender or hairdresser - recipients of all kinds of information.

It's been fun, but I've got my countdown started!
Dutchy

Sat 26 Sep, 2009 05:28 pm
@Mame,
Great to hear from you Mame. You say "But this is a very wet camp. Booze, booze, booze, all the time, all over the place. I hope when we do the winter camp it's a dry one. Oh, they've done their work well and on time, etc., but there's something wrong with all this drinking and partying in these remote areas. "
No different than working in the remote drilling camps in outback Australia Mame. With the temperatures hitting 120 degrees a man needs a beer or two! Laughing
Mame

Sat 26 Sep, 2009 05:47 pm
@Dutchy,
Ah, Dutchy, good to see you. Nothing wrong with a "beer or two", but how about 7 dozen which 7 or 8 of them drank last night, not to mention the four bottles of hard stuff? Eh, I don't care. They're a good lot, get up on time, do their work, and are polite and respectful. It's been a good show all 'round.

But I may be off to Pennsylvania before coming back here as Alex's program is running really late. At least I'll be a visitor, with a CAR. I can GO places and SEE people and things. I've not been outside the lodge for 9 1/2 weeks.
0 Replies

Reyn

Sat 26 Sep, 2009 08:21 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
It's been fun, but I've got my countdown started!

Hi Mame, nice to see you in this thread again!

Thanks for the update. So, are you looking forward to getting back to Alberta?
Mame

Mon 28 Sep, 2009 08:37 pm
@Reyn,
Yes I am!! I'm looking forward to getting out of this lodge and not cooking bacon at 5:00 a.m. anymore. I am going to have some sushi and go shopping and maybe even eat. I've lost 10 lbs this last 4 - 6 weeks from looking at bacon grease and meat. Ugh.
0 Replies

roger

Mon 28 Sep, 2009 10:34 pm
@Mame,
Probably not a problem, yet. When he starts putting his own address on his sleeping bag, he's probably due for rotation.
0 Replies

Mame

Tue 29 Sep, 2009 06:58 pm
Countdown - 3 days to go, starting tomorrow. Tyler's off to Brewery Creek in the a.m. so it's just me and Troy for dinner, after the big luncheon. I had two people in cleaning today for 6 hours and the place is spotless. Then the big dinner on Thursday and then I am OUTTA here Smile, for a couple of weeks, anyway. Yahoo !!! I don't count the night in Whitehorse - that's just going to be a party. Smile
Reyn

Tue 29 Sep, 2009 08:51 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
( [...] then I am OUTTA here Smile, for a couple of weeks, anyway. [...]

You're only leaving Yukon temporarily? Is this job semi-ongoing?
Mame

Wed 30 Sep, 2009 04:59 pm
@Reyn,
Reyn, they're starting up a year-long program at B.C. (Brewery Creek) and asked if I'd cook. If it goes ahead, it starts in October.

Today for lunch I served:

- homemade mushroom soup (with sherry) - people had seconds and some wanted the recipe (i found a good one)
- croissants with a mixture of various fillings (genoa salami, home-cooked spicy chicken, corned beef, extra-lean turkey, roasted red peppers, brie, emmanthol, provolone, gouda, spinach, red onion, lettuce, cucumber)
- homemade spinach pie (another really good recipe from a friend)
- various desserts

They were a hit because they expected roast beef and ham sandwiches on white bread and soup out of a can. The boss was impressed. Wait till he tries the pork tenderloin, hot italian sausage lasagne, four salads, and roasted veggies tomorrow. We're also having kahlua cream trifle and a yogurt whipped cream raspberry parfait.

Then I just have to do a last breakfast, clean up and head out on down the highway!! Five hours to Whitehorse, party, then o/n and then home.

Yee haw!
ehBeth

Wed 30 Sep, 2009 05:01 pm
@Mame,
Yum!

you are a bit of a goddess eh Very Happy
spendius

Wed 30 Sep, 2009 05:01 pm
@Mame,
How come some multi-millionaire hasn't snapped you up Mame? You sound like the answer to every man's prayers.
Reyn

Wed 30 Sep, 2009 05:04 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Reyn, they're starting up a year-long program at B.C. (Brewery Creek) and asked if I'd cook. If it goes ahead, it starts in October.

Hey, I hope it works out and that you get paid well!

I take it that Brewery Creek is also in Yukon?
Mame

Wed 30 Sep, 2009 06:21 pm
@ehBeth,
The secret is to snafu everyone else's fabulous recipes - how can you go wrong? And yeah, the only thing I did differently was to serve interesting and tasty food. I'm sure you and Set (among others here) could and would have done the same.
0 Replies

Mame

Wed 30 Sep, 2009 06:23 pm
@spendius,
So it's true that the way to a man's heart is his stomach? How sad.

It's only food, Spendi Smile
Mame

Wed 30 Sep, 2009 06:26 pm
@Reyn,
Yes, Brewery Creek was a mine at one point. Will know more about my plans by the end of the week. Whether or not it works out, I think there will be lots of work next year.
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 1 Oct, 2009 04:28 am
@Mame,
Quote:
So it's true that the way to a man's heart is his stomach? How sad.

Not absolutely but one can forgive a great deal for an excellent cook. But I think the main thing is your obvious care and concern for others and your willingness to do your best for them. It would be sad if that was only a strategy to get and keep a job.

Looking after men who are engaged in wrestling wealth out of the earth is a very laudable activity as is your understanding and toleration of their weaknesses.
0 Replies