Anyone interested in a Austin gathering in early September?

Rockhead

Reply Sun 12 Jul, 2009 12:15 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I don't think that's a good idea, c i.

my gathering history precedes me.

you kids have fun.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 12 Jul, 2009 12:33 pm
@Rockhead,
Rochhead, The older we get, the more activity we should be involved in.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 12 Jul, 2009 12:36 pm
@cicerone imposter,
yeah, i know.

gram's 90, and she won't be there either...

(seriously, you guys have fun)
shewolfnm

Reply Sun 12 Jul, 2009 01:12 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I would be interested in going outside of Austin if people stay around.
Over the weekend, the only time I end up working is early Sunday mornings from 7am- around 12.
but I dont think that when you guys are here is a Sunday I am scheduled.. but I will double check..

There are several small interesting cities outside of austin with places to eat that have been featured on TV shows for their menus .
There is always the San Antonio zoo as well. Beautiful, very large, but quite hot.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 12 Jul, 2009 01:13 pm
@Rockhead,
What is really surprising about the senior-seniors in the 90s is that many are still physically and mentally active. I'm 74, and some of those folks in their 80s look healthier than me!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 12 Jul, 2009 01:14 pm
@shewolfnm,
In that case, I'll wear my 'HOT' cap; from House of Travel.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 05:49 am
A couple of points...

On travel..

You can generally get your flights cheaper, though this site is primarily for international discount flights, but works well enough on american ones.. if you go to igougo.com
Make sure, you select whether you want just a flight from them, or a flight + hotel. Then, after you make that selection, check every website at the bottom . It goes through all including priceline, and brings up their cheapest and on some, removes booking fees to save you an extra 15 or so at a time.

For example, right now, it tells me I can get to Budapest from San Antonio for 620 round trip including hotel. Smile
I used it to get my NY trip for 220 round trip from San Antonio to Manhattan. Love that site. I dont use priceline anymore now..

As for venues... on where to meet and what to eat?
What is welcome for everyone?
Meaning.. there are quite a few things to pick from here. You can go for a few hundred dollars for dinner, or 3 dollars a plate awesome mexican food..

Give me some suggestions and I will throw out a few locations that could encompass everyones likes and dislikes..
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 09:22 am
@shewolfnm,
shewolf, Thanks for the offer to find a place for us. I think it would be best for everyone if the price range is moderate with good food. Us old fogies also need an environment where we can hear people talking from the other side of the table. I know Austin has many good restaurants, so it will be a relatively easy task for you. I think the issue will be transportation if people do not have a car since some of the nice restaurants can be outside the downtown area, but I will have a rental and can accommodate several passengers.

We'll just need to set up the first meeting place (name, address and time) that's centralized so people will be able to go without too much hassle with finding the place.

Thanks again for taking on this responsibility.

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 12:20 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Okay, I'm going to talk chai into being our speaker for five minutes, so I expect to see you!
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 02:33 pm
CI as it stands now I don't think I will be able to come to Austin. I have a pre-op appointment this Thursday for elective surgery to fix a leaky bladder. I'll be in the hospital for a couple of days, and I don't know how long the recovery period is or how long I will be hooked up to a c. baq.

But I know that I will see you again another time. My regards to your family.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 03:37 pm
@Sglass,
Glass, Sorry to hear about your health problem. Hope all goes successfully, and you recover toute suite.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 03:57 pm
@Sglass,
OH, just stick a cork in it Smile

Seriously, I hope you get better and things go well .
Heal quickly ok
shewolfnm

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 03:58 pm
@cicerone imposter,
There are MANY places to eat here. Is there a common favorite?
dyslexia

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 04:01 pm
@shewolfnm,
you have an IHOP there?
realjohnboy

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 04:02 pm
Taco Bell works.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 04:05 pm
@shewolfnm,
Thanks shewolfnm. It has been a horror show for the past five years. I've hated to go anywhere and was ready to buy stock in "Pampers". The condition has really put my lifestyle on hold.

But I will get back to Austin one of these days.
Sglass

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 04:07 pm
@Sglass,
There used to be a lounge near the campus called the "Moulin Rouge". Is it still there?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 04:14 pm
@dyslexia,
no .

and you can not come.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 04:17 pm
off beat taco bell...

Cheap , but GOOD Mexican food, nice shaded patio, open restaurant, never too crowded, wonderful staff... La feria.
margaritas are great too.

http://www.laferiaaustin.com/

there are two.
One is just off of 71 which connects to I35 which sounds like that is where most of the hotels you guys are looking at are??.. might make for an easy location to get to.
You would just take I35 to 71, then get off on one exit and that street will take you right to the restaurant probably 3 miles from where you exit 71.

My long winded way of saying it is a straight, easy shot to the restaurant.

Lets start there.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 04:23 pm
@shewolfnm,
The one on Lamar Blvd looks good to me, but I'm not sure where the others will be staying.
0 Replies