Anyone interested in a Austin gathering in early September?

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 08:22 am
@Sglass,
Sglass wrote:

Query. how many of the folks that might/will attend the gathering are real Texans and how many are Imposters.

I have lived in austin the majority of my life

but by golly Im an impostor.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 09:42 am
@Sglass,
I might be the "only" imposter attending - with the exception of you and MA.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 10:23 am
@Sglass,
I've never claimed to be a Texan, but I've lived here ten years.

Hell, I've lived in the south for more than 40 of my 50 years, but I don't claim to be a southerner either.
realjohnboy

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 05:05 pm
Right after Tak proposed this thing is Austin, my little brother happened to call from Germany. He lived in San Antonio for awhile and also has a background in urban planning.
He claims that Austin has the world's largest colony of urban bats. They live under a bridge there that spans the Colorado River. They were deliberately introduced to control mosquitoes. He says watching them swarm out at dusk is a "must see" experience.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 05:14 pm
@realjohnboy,
True; the Congress Street bridge at dusk is something all should witness.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 05:19 pm
What, we got to pass a test to attend?
chai2

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 05:25 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

Right after Tak proposed this thing is Austin, my little brother happened to call from Germany. He lived in San Antonio for awhile and also has a background in urban planning.
He claims that Austin has the world's largest colony of urban bats. They live under a bridge there that spans the Colorado River. They were deliberately introduced to control mosquitoes. He says watching them swarm out at dusk is a "must see" experience.

Well, not quite.

More than a million of them live under the Congress Ave bridge in the summer. Late summer is the best time to see them. They've given birth, and the babies are big enough by that time to fly out with their mothers.

the bridge has all these deep narrow crevices under it, perfect for the bats. They all start coming out at the same time, just as the sun hits a certain point.
A few at first, then more and more and more until there's this veil of bats flying out and wafting away. It's tres cool.

Sept would be a great time for viewing.

They take like 45 minutes to all get out.

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 05:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
The "test" is to be there.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 05:55 pm
@cicerone imposter,
After all these years, I get to meet CI. I can hardly wait.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 06:06 pm
@edgarblythe,
Me too!
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 06:12 pm
@edgarblythe,
i be golly darn, I must have said that wrong. I don't know if there are real and unreal Texans. But i do know there are native Texans and transplants.

myself, i was born in kilgore, texas and i am an oilfield brat.

but then there was a saying i've heard from childhood -

Dallas is where the East ends and Ft. Worth is where the West begins.

What about Dannon, is he still hanging out on the ecology thread.
realjohnboy

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 06:43 pm
hmm, Airfare from Cville to Austin aint bad. And hassle free. To DC and then non-stop to Austin. Hotel costs look reasonable.
We have played this game before, brethern, where we talk endlessly about selecting the dates that fit for everyone. But that will never happen. Eventually there needs to be a dictator who decrees that these are the dates: Join us if you can; sorry if you cant.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 07:11 pm
@realjohnboy,
rjb, You are right, and we must set some dates in cement so we can start making flight and hotel plans. Last minute planning can cost a fortune.

Let's set the date for the first weekend of September, the 5th and 6th. I'll be there longer, so I'll expect I'll arrive in Austin on the 4th and leave on the 10th or 11th.

I need to contact my very old friend from my US Air Force days who lives in Terrell, TX, who said he'll drive up when I'm in Austin.

I'll make my reservations tomorrow.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 07:30 pm
@Sglass,
Sglass wrote:

i be golly darn, I must have said that wrong. I don't know if there are real and unreal Texans. But i do know there are native Texans and transplants.

myself, i was born in kilgore, texas and i am an oilfield brat.

but then there was a saying i've heard from childhood -

Dallas is where the East ends and Ft. Worth is where the West begins.

What about Dannon, is he still hanging out on the ecology thread.

I was born in a tent in the middle of a cotton patch, in Miles, Texas. Miles is 17 miles from Ballinger and 17 miles from San Angelo.
realjohnboy

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 08:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I was born in a tent in the middle of a cotton patch, in Miles, Texas. Miles is 17 miles from Ballinger and 17 miles from San Angelo.

If I come to this thing, that is the kind of story I want to hear.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 09:09 pm
@realjohnboy,
Me too!
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 02:33 am
Apparently the Longhorns have a home game on Sept. 5. They will play the University of LA at Monroe. So there will be a football crowd in town.

Sept. 12 Longhorns will travel to Laramie to play the Wyoming Cowboys .
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 08:05 am
Made my airline and car reservations for September 4 thru 10. The rates were very reasonable, and the airplane still had many seats to choose from, so I picked 17c (isle) for both going and coming.

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 03:47 pm
I also wrote my friends in Texas to let them know the dates I'll be in Austin. I'm bringing some pictures of the US Air Force base I took in the late fifties when we were both stationed in Morocco.

Sglass

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 01:02 am
@cicerone imposter,
CI where did you do your basic flight training and what planes are you qualified.

i checked airfares yesterday and can do rt for $600 from Hilo to Bergstrom.
is that good.