Im -a- twitter

Aldistar

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 04:59 pm
Shewolfs near future...

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/funny-pictures-there-is-a-jay-on-your-camera.jpg

He is so adorable!! Great job!
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 08:20 pm

What s the latest news about Sparta ?
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 10:35 pm
Yeah?!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 07:13 pm
Baby bird may not be a boy first of all. So , instead of the silly name I gave 'it' , I just call it baby bird. ha.

Baby bird is getting ENORMOUS and quickly. It is almost every other day that I see something different about his body.
He now has an almost full set of wings twice as long as his body. He has not yet developed tail feathers though and that is the most important set. He can not fly with out them. Once he does get them, he can 'graduate' and move out Very Happy

But his fuzz under his belly is almost gone. It is just around his legs now instead of being fuzzy from under his beak..

Him and my cats are getting along wonderfully actually.
Flash Gordon still makes a dive bomb at him every now and then but for the most part he just walks by him or does not even acknowledge him. Kitten the older one , will lay next to the bird and just watch him.

I have made him a perch out of one of my old clothing racks. I have a towel that goes along the bottom to catch the poop and several tiers with grit on them so that he can rub his beak. He bounces around on it all day like a little jungle gym.

It is time for his first diet change. At this stage, his paretns would begin to bring live food for it instead of puking the food into their body.

THIS part? Makes me squeemish.. hahhaha.
I have no problems feeding him dead frozen worms.. but now I have to do live meal worms and baby crickets. Blah.

So what I have done is graduate him from the wheat gluten/cat food mix and I now make a seed mix. I have wild bird seed mix wheat gluten nutritional yeast , blue corn flour and 2 powder vitamin mixes. I have a measurement that gives what he requires in his diet. Before , as a baby, his diet had to be high in protein. Now he can have a 40/60 . 40 protien , 60 seed, grain, etc.
I take that mixture, place it into the coffee grinder until it is powder, then add filtered water to it until it is a watery paste and this is his primary hourly feed.
2-3 times a day I offer live food. I place it in front of him and he IS interested in it.. he watches it.. and sometimes takes a stab at it , but for now it just is not registering that it is food. I use chop sticks to pick up what ever live stuff Im offering and drop it into his beak.
I think.. all it will take is once or twice him catching it while it is moving in front of him to catch the grip that what moves is food. Then I am hoping to be able to feed him nothing but live food and begin to get him used to hunting on his own and not relying on me to feed him.

Gosh.
This has been one action packed foster animal I tell you what Smile

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3323/3665795547_d04932eb5f.jpg
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 08:47 pm
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:

Baby bird may not be a boy first of all. So , instead of the silly name I gave 'it' , I just call it baby bird. ha.

Baby bird is getting ENORMOUS and quickly. It is almost every other day that I see something different about his body.
He now has an almost full set of wings twice as long as his body. He has not yet developed tail feathers though and that is the most important set. He can not fly with out them. Once he does get them, he can 'graduate' and move out Very Happy

But his fuzz under his belly is almost gone. It is just around his legs now instead of being fuzzy from under his beak..

Him and my cats are getting along wonderfully actually.
Flash Gordon still makes a dive bomb at him every now and then but for the most part he just walks by him or does not even acknowledge him. Kitten the older one , will lay next to the bird and just watch him.

I have made him a perch out of one of my old clothing racks. I have a towel that goes along the bottom to catch the poop and several tiers with grit on them so that he can rub his beak. He bounces around on it all day like a little jungle gym.

It is time for his first diet change. At this stage, his paretns would begin to bring live food for it instead of puking the food into their body.

THIS part? Makes me squeemish.. hahhaha.
I have no problems feeding him dead frozen worms.. but now I have to do live meal worms and baby crickets. Blah.

So what I have done is graduate him from the wheat gluten/cat food mix and I now make a seed mix. I have wild bird seed mix wheat gluten nutritional yeast , blue corn flour and 2 powder vitamin mixes. I have a measurement that gives what he requires in his diet. Before , as a baby, his diet had to be high in protein. Now he can have a 40/60 . 40 protien , 60 seed, grain, etc.
I take that mixture, place it into the coffee grinder until it is powder, then add filtered water to it until it is a watery paste and this is his primary hourly feed.
2-3 times a day I offer live food. I place it in front of him and he IS interested in it.. he watches it.. and sometimes takes a stab at it , but for now it just is not registering that it is food. I use chop sticks to pick up what ever live stuff Im offering and drop it into his beak.
I think.. all it will take is once or twice him catching it while it is moving in front of him to catch the grip that what moves is food. Then I am hoping to be able to feed him nothing but live food and begin to get him used to hunting on his own and not relying on me to feed him.

Gosh.
This has been one action packed foster animal I tell you what Smile

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3323/3665795547_d04932eb5f.jpg

That does not look SAFE, Shewolf.
If anyone gets any idea to assassinate anyone else,
he might not consult u first, and if so, it will only take
a fraction of a second, lashing out. Someone is hardwired
to do things like that, with 1000s of centuries of habit behind him.

Remember what happened to a certain overconfident German
named Roy Horn in Las Vegas, whose white cat got too close to him.
That did not work out well.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 08:48 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
roy was unable to fly, dave...
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 08:50 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

roy was unable to fly, dave...

Well, someone else will be unable to fly
if he is in someone else 's mouth, getting dismembered.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 08:51 pm

Birds + cats = bad luck.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 08:51 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
flash takes baths and stuff dave.

he's not a real cat...
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 08:53 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

flash takes baths and stuff dave.

he's not a real cat...

Yeah, after he EATS, maybe he 'll take a bath.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 08:54 pm

Denying feline nature does not work well.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 08:54 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
one of mine could do with a bird.

the other, not a chance. (same one goes fishin' all the time)
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 08:57 pm

Denying feline nature does not work well
( as someone pointed out recently ).
Rockhead

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 09:00 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I musta missed that dave.

wolfie, he's getting rather pretty.

you DO realize that bluejays are kinda like cjhsa, ...they're mean little shits... (yes)
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 07:48 am
you dont have to quote an entire post Wink
we are the only ones here, i know what you are referring to.

And yes, that bird is safe. I do understand and I see all the time that my cats instincts over ride his "rules". But setting up for a photo like that, if you notice, I have a hand on his back and one at the base of his neck.
First thing would happen if he rolled over was the bird would fly, then I would grab his neck.

but , i dont want to debate how cats and birds live . Laughing I see it every day
but believe me, that bird is safe, healthy and happy

So is my brat kitty haha.
chai2

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 09:19 am
Ha!
haven't looked at this thread for awhile

Boy is he getting big FAST!

blue jay huh?

I've watched many a jay dive bomb cats.
chai2

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 09:26 am
I was listening to a radio program once that said baby birds need to hear other birds of their own species, in order to know how to sing their own song properly.

Can you get recordings of blue jays to play for him?

Might make a big difference when he goes back to the wild.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 09:27 am
@shewolfnm,

So Sparta can fly now ?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 09:30 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Ha!
haven't looked at this thread for awhile

Boy is he getting big FAST!

blue jay huh?

I've watched many a jay dive bomb cats.

Did u see my post
about my robins dive boming me,
about 40 years ago ?
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 09:33 am
shewolf, please read this link....

http://www.starlingtalk.com/BirdSong.htm

and connect to the link to NPR from there.
0 Replies