SITTIN ON THE PORCH posting onto A2K

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 01:58 pm
I made a pot of coffee.
farmerman

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 02:12 pm
@edgarblythe,
There ya go, thats a start. Wanna share your feelings about this coffee?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 02:17 pm
I was just out on my back porch (they call 'em lanai hereabouts). But it's raining and nasty out there. The birds don't seem to mind. Comin' right to the feeders. Doves shmoozin' about on the ground. Made a phone call to the East U.S. Coast where it's 4:15 p.m. right now. That feels strange inasmuch as it's 10:15 a.m. here and I just finished breakfast. But it's too cold and wet out on the lanai. I'm back indoors with my laptop now.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 02:21 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

hey, well you come up with anything , lemme hear it ok?
ANYTHING.

How about this? I'm really ticked about it!
farmerman

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 02:42 pm
@Reyn,
We can help. Lemme call Francis, we need some regular soldiers, a bunch of mountain men, and a bunch of French sailors. And you gotta get the British to congregate their forces on some land spit , like Bras D'Or.

Better call set, hes in charge of military strategy, Id **** it up pretty bad.
farmerman

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 02:45 pm
@farmerman,
Also, maybe someones wondering "why is this ole coot been on A2K all day. ?" "Well, Im sitting here waiting for reports to come off for review and someone is sending some plans of a Ti?Os cooker and I need to check it for QA. Its coming over on Arcview and its plotting sheet by sheet . Ive been sitting here screwing off and its raining outside so I cant take any walks.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 02:55 pm
Drink coffee. Coffee good.

As I drank my coffee, I busied myself popping poison oak blisters on my fingers and then soaking the fingers in peroxide, for about twenty minutes. The po is about a week old and no longer itches a great deal. It is my second go around in May. Next time, I plan to go after the remaining po plants with weed killer instead of a rake and cutting tools.
farmerman

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 03:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
use a mix of vinegar and cinnamon oil for an organic way, otherwise use Roundup
roger

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 03:21 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

use a mix of vinegar and cinnamon oil for an organic way, otherwise use Roundup

Would that be for the blisters or the plants?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 03:21 pm
@farmerman,
vinegar and cinnamon oil? That's a new one for me. If I can locate those things I would like to give it a try. I let the back yard grow over to keep the folks from the other neighborhood's kids out. They were tearing down my fence. Now I pay the price.
farmerman

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 03:30 pm
@edgarblythe,
I bought some last year from an AMISH greenhouse. They specialized in organic sprays for around veggies and tender plants that succumb to normal stuff like Roundup.

It was a mix of cinnamom oil and vinegar and it burned the leaves really well. It also allowed me to plant veggies the very next day right in the area where I sprayed.
Those are the active ingredients and its almost a full strength cinnamon oil. See what you can find from an organic shop but dont pay more than about 6 bucks a half gallon. The ingredients are real cheap. You can get cinnamon oil from candle shops or places like Mcormick .
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 03:41 pm
@edgarblythe,
http://www.amazon.com/Pure-Cinnamon-Oil-4-oz/dp/B0002PHEU2
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 03:42 pm
@Butrflynet,

4 ounces? I don't think so.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 03:43 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thats food grade stuff. Weed killer is like the last press or distillate and is not for food. ITs just used as an organic herbicide
dlowan

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 03:46 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Hey, i answered your question . . . don't be mean.

Now i want to know what the hell everyone is talking about when they say OCD.

Ignore the lagomorph, i think it's PMS inspired.

OCD + obsessive compulsive disorder

lagomorph DOESN'T have PMS....but YOU are testy.

heheheheeheheheheheehhheeee
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 03:58 pm
@farmerman,
That's where I get my cinnamon oil for cooking. Figured it would work for the poison oak also.

This is an organic weed killer with cinnamon and clove oil in it. 32 oz. for 12 bucks.

http://www.planetnatural.com/site/weed-a-tak-weed-killer.html

This study might be of interest to you:

http://ucce.ucdavis.edu/files/filelibrary/2017/19351.ppt
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 04:08 pm
I tried your link on the study two times. Only got a blank page.
msolga

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 07:45 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
EXPLAIN the cultural significance of the Pelaco ad.
1What does the phrase signify

2ISsit the fact that and aboriginal is even wearing a shirt and is telling us that it feels like he has nothing on?

Im having just as difficult a time with the reference and your and debs response , just as much as you were confused about Sets use of uncle Ben and Aunt Jemima.

Well (obviously) it's part of our (Australian) unthinking, lacking-in-awareness past racism, farmer .... similar to the old Aunt Jemima ads in the US. (The things were thought were OK at the time! Shocked Embarrassed )

Pelaco was the major producer of shirts in Oz for a long, long time. Very respectable & successful company! And this ad was used (for years) without comment or objection. It would never have occurred to Pelaco (or the Oz public) that there might be something objectionable about using the image of an aboriginal person (with some sort of demented grin plastered on his face!) to advertise their products.

And well, Australians all knew that Aborigines endlessly wandered around the outback (on "walk about") fully naked, hunting, etc ... so I guess the "enhancement" of a Pelaco shirt indicated progress! "Mine tink it they fit" = "I think they fit". An endorsement of the superiority of the product. Why exactly the image of an aboriginal was chosen, I'm not exactly clear about. Maybe it was considered "cute" or "endearing" or something? But it was a very famous & successful Australian advertisement, widely circulated in the media for over 30 years. Till the penny dropped that it might not be quite right! Wink

So there you go, farmer. A bit of "cultural interpretation for you! Very Happy

msolga

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 08:04 pm
... & now, farmer, I am going to turn this dratted machine off! I am going to press the off button, get up from this chair & move right along!

FREEDOM!

I trust you are suitably impressed! Very Happy
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 08:12 pm
@edgarblythe,
Here's an html version. The other requires Microsoft's Powerpoint.