My Latest Medical "Adventure"

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 03:11 pm
@ossobuco,
Osso- There's a method to my madness. If I can get this done in late June, I will be good to go in early September...............................You KNOW what happens in September!!!
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 03:11 pm
You KNOW what happens in September!!!

We celebrate my birth!!!
Lightwizard

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 03:25 pm
@edgarblythe,
Pshaw! Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 03:28 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Travel!!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 04:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
Absolutely, Edgar. we can do that too!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 07:57 pm
Quote:
Will he be able to stay in a hotel on his own? - perhaps you could take up the offer of son or brother staying at the hotel with him so you won't need to worry about him.

Izzie- There is no problem about him being by himself at the hotel. In fact, I think that having another person there would be simply an annoyance and a distraction for him. He is a very private person who likes to do things his own way.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 09:11 pm
Phoenix, Sorry to hear about the valve problem. And as impresses as hell at how proactive you have been and are in dealing with the situation.

I'll be thinking about you and hoping for a good outcome.
Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 13 May, 2009 05:32 am
@Roberta,
Hey, Boida- People from Noo Yawk can be pretty feisty!!! Laughing
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 13 May, 2009 06:18 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BBB-My father used to kid around that as you got older you would need a "carbon and valve job", and a new transmission. I think that he knew something! Razz
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 13 May, 2009 06:29 am
@Roberta,
Agreed about proactivity.

And Ohio gets a bum rap!

I really like the place (though, admittedly, I only know my little corner of it well).

Best of luck and looking forward to updates...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 13 May, 2009 08:36 am
@edgarblythe,
You're not the only one.

Good on ya for taking the bull by the horns on this one, Phoe. Let us know how it all goes. Smile
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 13 May, 2009 09:48 am
This year, the Cleveland Clinic became the first US hospital to perform a face transplant.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 13 May, 2009 02:41 pm
Phoenix - I like the taking charge! Get it done. My dad is putting off a third angioplasty - I wish he'd just get it done now.
Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 13 May, 2009 03:11 pm
@littlek,
littlek- It is so funny. My cardio, who had told me to wait, was nearly tearing his hair out. Apparently he has a patient who is so bad that surgery is crucial. The guy refuses to go. And the doc says to me that here I am, on the border, and insisting that I have the surgery.
0 Replies

TilleyWink

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 12:45 am
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix I had the open heart thing a year and a half ago. My heart was and is in great shape. My problem was the artery's I had a quad bypass. My recovery is still in process I have some days still when I cannot get out of bed. The pain after the surgery is unbearable for about six weeks in my case. I had visiting nurses twice a week for a month plus the eleven days in the hospital.

If I could choose again I take the chance and not have the surgery it is way to painful and the recovery way to long. That's my opinion of course and my health. However, I was pretty OK before surgery than compared to now.
Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 07:35 am
@TilleyWink,
TilleyWink- I am sorry that you have had such a negative experience. I belong to a valve replacement forum, and get feedback from many people. The vast majority of the people have had very positive experiences. I have heard from people who were out running a month after surgery.

You can look at your situation another way. If you had not had the bypass, you might have had a coronary or a stroke.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 07:44 am
@TilleyWink,
Oh, another thing. Just doing a quick statistic from what I have learned, it seems that the average stay for an aortic valve replacement is about 5 days.................1 day in ICU, the next four with the nurses nagging you to keep walking.

Of course, if there are complications, the stay could be longer.
Lightwizard

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 08:19 am
@Phoenix32890,
I want to the Mayo Clinic site when I had to elect to have surgery or radiation. I chose the radiation, not because of the recovery which is up to six weeks, but because it's likely I would still have to have the radiation treatment after the surgery. My Doc agreed, but he had to investigate the latest radiation treatment device, the side effects, and the effectiveness. You're talking directly with the surgeon so I don't see where you have a thing to worry about, except the four nurses.
0 Replies

TilleyWink

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 10:33 am
@Phoenix32890,
I wish you well Phoenix I just thought about it for awhile before I posted to decided whether or not to tell you my story. And finally decided you would probably want to know.

I wish you well and will keep you in my prayers.
Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 02:46 pm
@TilleyWink,
There is no doubt that this entire procedure is fraught with a certain amount of danger. That is a given. To my way of thinking, it is going to have to be done sooner or later, and I want it to be done when my heart is healthy. I had no problem with reading of your experiences. I am just sorry that you had so many problems.

BTW, I just got a call from C.C. I will meet with the docs (cardio & surgeon), and do the pre-op testing. They will decide if I need the surgery now. If it is a go, the date is July 1st.