Chronic Post Nasal Drip, Cough and Throat Clearing

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2016 01:13 pm
Hi everyone,

I am a 40 year old male. I have been having the following symptoms for 3 years now:

- Constant Stuffy and runny nose
- Coughing all day
- Throat Clearing many times an hour
- Excessive mucus

I have seen many doctors and I read that it could be due to few things such as:

- Asthma – I checked and I don’t have it
- Allergy – I did allergy testing and I was not allergic to anything
- Acid Reflux – I don’t have any heart burn symptoms and take Prilosec before bed and sleep tilted. After two months, no help.
- Vasomotor Rhinitis – I have taken Dymista, Atrovant but no help

My work involves giving presentations but it has been really difficult constantly coughing, clearing my throat and blowing my nose.

Any guidance or recommendation you can give me, I would really appreciate?

Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 9,005 • Replies: 13

Ragman

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2016 02:09 pm
@MIke65yudd,
Help me understand something: you're doctors don't know the answer and have tried quite a few things. Why would a bunch of strangers who are not medical experts know more than a physician who HAS examined you in person?

My only advice is to find some different doctors and keep trying.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2016 02:13 pm
@MIke65yudd,
I agree with ragman - you see to see some other doctors - one thing though did the doctor testing you for allergies let you know there is no possible way to test for every possible thing you could be allergic to? I am not saying that is the situation, as it could be so many things that a lay person like me could not be able to let you know.

The only thing is I did have an allergic reaction via my skin showing it - I was never tested because of this reason, I simply tried using skin products that did not have any scents and/or very minimal chemicals and products and that did the trick for me.

My point is what was explained to you - or did the doctors just give up?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2016 04:06 pm
@MIke65yudd,
Quote:
Acid Reflux – I don’t have any heart burn symptoms and take Prilosec before bed and sleep tilted. After two months, no help.

If you've consulted physicians, what types of doctors did you visit. You take Prilosec and thus at some point in time, a physician thought that you may have GERD. Your absence of heart burn provides little information concerning the nature of your real problem.

Your best bet, which I offer to you as a health care provider, is my opinion. I suspect you may benefit from a visit with an ENT physician and a complete examination of your esophagus. The issue in my OPINION is acid reflux and the potential effects that acid has on the esophagus, possibly in the past.

An ENT physician can exam your esophagus to ascertain it's health.

I wish you well in the future treatments of you disorder.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2016 04:08 pm
I second that advice, being a long-term GERD sufferer.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2016 04:19 pm
@Ragman,
I third Miller's advice.

When I had allergies (not your symptoms per se), I went to an allergist, now a long time ago. But I was in the med field and knew to do that. I also have been associated with a couple of university hospitals, and have regard for the culture there, at least in my experience, where the docs of various kinds have interest in figuring out what is going on, if only for their own reputations in their departments, and will confer with others and/or refer you to other departments in the system as necessary.

I take it most teaching hospitals have a large variety of clinics for different problems.
farmerman

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2016 05:16 pm
@ossobuco,
I agree with everybody, and I gotta say that I love all of you.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2016 07:24 pm
@MIke65yudd,
I had very similar symptoms for a long time and it turned out to be due to exposure to a type of black mold which forms inside Select Comfort beds. I called the company and they replaced the bed. Symptoms began to diminish immediately and were completely gone in about two months. Up until that point nobody, including my doctors could figure out what was causing it.

I realize that's a long shot, but if you're sleeping on a Select Comfort bed you should probably open it up and check the air bladders for mold.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2016 07:34 pm
@farmerman,
nobody I love here more than you, kid

unless of course, it's JLNobody

Hang in and don't try to play footsie at this time.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2016 03:16 pm
@ossobuco,
I should probably explain that Farmerman is knowledgable and well liked poster here who just had a steer break a bone in his foot and is on meds that he is enjoying for the time being.
farmerman

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2016 03:26 pm
@ossobuco,
I ran outta morphine "greens" and now Im just on Tylenol. They make my ears ring.
Pains going away but Im walking with crutches pretty goodly. I was on the big tractor today (It has a heated cab) and was hauling a bunch of round bales of hay out to the feed rick in the N pasture.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2016 03:30 pm
@MIke65yudd,
I had a persistent cough for a year; finally got referred to a pulmonologist who figured out that I had reflux, but no heartburn. Took sending a scope down my throat to figure it out. That was when I was 42 or 43.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2016 03:37 pm
@farmerman,
You're a mench and a half.

I figure it was good to get out there, plus you probably needed to.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2016 10:42 am
Book marked
0 Replies