My Latest Medical "Adventure"

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 08:17 am
Some time ago, I learned that my aortic valve was becoming stenotic. In the last few months I have taken more tests, (echocardiogram, cardiac catheterization, etc.) According to the statistics, my valve is in the "severe" category, with respect to stenosis.(.9) My heart is still is in great condition, which it will not be if I allow the stenosis to go any further.

My cardio, being rather conservative as is true of many heart docs, wants me to wait and see. "For what", I reply. He claims that there is a chance of having a stroke during the open heart procedure. I say that if I wait longer, I will be older, in worse condition, and could STILL have a stroke.

Anyhow, taking the bull by the horns, I got my stuff together, and sent it to the Cleveland Clinic, which is rated as the best heart hospital in the country. (That's where Robin Williams recently had his valves replaced.)

They sent my stuff to the head of the department (whom I chose). He said that I was "borderline", in terms of having a valve replacement. Apparently there are three criteria, the valve opening, the gradient, and symptoms. The docs like a patient to have two out of the three criteria. Well, my gradient is acceptable, but I am starting to become more tired in my usual routine.

I told the people at Cleveland that I would like to come in late June. What is proposed is that I will see a cardio there, take some tests, and have a date for surgery pencilled in. If the surgeon thinks that I am ready, he will go forward and operate. If not, I will have had a nice trip to Cleveland.

dlowan

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 08:21 am
@Phoenix32890,
CLEVELAND?????

I thought it was famously horrible...as in "I'd rather be in Cleveland".

(Black humour, sorry)

Blimey......I hope they can do the damn thing, and have you hopping around like a little boidy asap!!!!
Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 08:25 am
@dlowan,
What the hell. I've never been to Cleveland!
djjd62

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 08:29 am
@Phoenix32890,
cleveland, home of howard the duck and the rock and roll museum
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 08:52 am
@Phoenix32890,
You just want to see Robin Williams when he gets there for his post surgical
check-ups.

I hope everything will work out for you, Phenix. All the best for you!
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 09:12 am
@Phoenix32890,
ahhhhhhhhhhhhh....

good you're seeing cardio chappie

yep......bull by horns is good - you make the choices about your body gal! Get the tests done and see what's what!

(hoping MrP is OK)
(say "hey" to Mr.Williams if you see him" Razz)

<pulls up a chair and waits for news>

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 09:19 am
@Izzie,
Izzie- I did not mention this at first, but Mr. P. is one of the considerations in this whole deal. He's older than me, and his health is not what it used to be. If I wait, he might not be able to go with me, and help me during what I understand is a six week recuperation.

Now both my son and my brother have offered to do whatever it takes, but that is not the same as my husband. I really need him to be at my side during all of this.
chai2

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 09:19 am
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

My cardio, being rather conservative as is true of many heart docs, wants me to wait and see. "For what", I reply. He claims that there is a chance of having a stroke during the open heart procedure. I say that if I wait longer, I will be older, in worse condition, and could STILL have a stroke.

Anyhow, taking the bull by the horns....

Exactly my thoughts Phoenix.

I wonder sometimes what these doctors would decide for themselves if they were in the same situation.

Go for as and good luck.

As far as Cleveland...

0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 09:26 am
@djjd62,
I wonder if the Rock and Roll Museum is one of the reasons that my son was so amenable to going with me! Laughing

Chai- Thanks for the clip. I needed that!!! Very Happy
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 09:44 am
Without a doubt, the Cleveland Clinic is world-class. It's an excellent choice for you.

One question for you:

To what extent will your health insurance cover all of the required procedures at the Clinic? Do you have to have advance approval from Medicare and your insurance company?

Good luck ...
Mame

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 09:49 am
Jeez, more health problems here - I'm sorry to hear about yours, Phoe... get thyself to Cleveland and best of luck!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 09:53 am
@Miller,
Miller- I have both Medicare and a Medigap policy that covers what Medicare doesn't. I don't need any prior approvals for anything........................whew!
Miller

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 10:02 am
@Phoenix32890,
Sounds like excellent coverage. Thank the good Lord.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 10:19 am
@Phoenix32890,
I wish your valves would behave themselves. You deserve better valve friends.

BBB Sad
ehBeth

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 10:24 am
@Phoenix32890,
Cleveland's actually quite a lovely city with good restos and entertainment options. Best case - good treatment options and a good trip. Worst case - a good trip to Cleveland.
Miller

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 10:29 am
@ehBeth,
Don't forget the Cleveland Indians, if you're into baseball...
ehBeth

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 10:31 am
@Miller,
That'd be what I call an "entertainment option".
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 12:41 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Yep Phoenix Girl

You and MrP do need each other by your sides...

not so long ago - you went with him as was your wish - and you need to do what's right for you.... in regard to thinking about the future... for you both.

Some docs are cut-happy - some are more reserved. At the end of the day - you're the one whose body and mind know what you need to do - whether it's today or a years time... or 3 years time. Go with your feelings. I don't think anyone would put themselves thru any surgery for the wrong reasons - your reasoning is the important thing - and if you need to do this now, knowing the risks and basing your decisions on what you believe is right for you, then you go with your thoughts... and for MrP to be there with you. Very Happy

Will he be able to stay in a hotel on his own? - perhaps you could take up the offer of son or brother staying at the hotel with him so you won't need to worry about him.

I remember a while back when you had a surgeon who held your hand and you felt reassured - well, a good surgeon will have a steady hand... and if you can get this sorted sooner rather than later - MrP can hold your hand.

Will they still do a TEE the day before? Gosh........... how quickly a year has gone by - so many changes a?

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 01:14 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Ok, you're acting, very good.

Cleveland!!!
Lightwizard

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 01:18 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Well, try to get ticket to the Cleveland Symphony if it coincides -- incredible orchestra. One of my past bosses at Martin Lawrence Galleries now lives there.
0 Replies