A POLITICICAL WEREWEASEL - ARLEN SPECTER

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 08:33 pm
@revel,
Well revel, perhaps you have achieved one of your life's goals and proven Finn wrong.

If Specter doesn't do what I predict, he's not half the politician I think he is.

No one (except perhaps you) thinks he is a principled statesman.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 08:36 pm
@blatham,
Apparently the hamster won't let me respond with just "OK," and so...

OK, let's.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 08:38 pm
@farmerman,
And we should all assume farmerman speaks for the intentions of the GOP in Pennsyltucky.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 08:54 pm
@farmerman,
What is entirely laughable is that you and your confreres continue to elevate anything associated with Sarah Palin to the level of national debate. Still hell bent on destroying her are you?

If all of these horridly huge problems should occupy our every thought, why the hell are you bitching about Sarah Palin's daughter?

In a word…despicable.

Will you join in jumping all over Biden's coked up daughter?

No hypocrisy associate with this Biden family trouble.

Joe has always argued that we should go light on the uber privileged children of the powerful. Hell, he's made it a key element in his personal political platform.

I thought not.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 09:13 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
...if the only proper function of government is to destroy itself so that other social agents are unimpeded in operation, then Limbaugh and Palin make perfect sense.

Better this than a government that subsumes all other social agents.

And herein lies the rub.

You and your fellows who are inclined to believe that humanity is a blight upon the wholesome breast of Mother Gaia, seem to believe that a small subset of this same gaggle of viral parasites are best suited to decide the fates and fortunes of their fellow viruses.

All things non-human are best left to self-organizing systems that bear no taint of humanity, but all things human should be controlled and directed by the fancies and visions of a small set of anointed ones.

The incredible irony: Railing against the temerity of humans in believing they are exempt from Natural Law, but arguing that their destinies should be molded and constrained by a few of the very species that can't be trusted to not rape Gaia.

Humans must be kept from sticking their noses in earth's ecologies, but it's all OK with them engineering society and the economy.

Laughing
revel

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 07:12 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I don't know if he is a "principled statesman" or not, to be honest never paid too much attention to the man before. My only point is that so far since his switch he has been going out of his way to distinguish himself apart from the democrat party in which he joined. I don't know if that makes him a statesman or just illogical to join a party and then try to distance yourself from them.

Reid slips up on Specter voting with Dems

Quote:
Reid slips up on Specter voting with Dems
On MSNBC’s Andrea Mitchell Reports Wednesday, Sen. Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-NV, said of his newest Democrat, Sen Arlen Specter, “On procedural votes he’ll be with us all the time.”

I caught up with Sen. Specter today and asked him about what would be an extraordinary agreement, if it was indeed so. Specter merely smiled and repeated several times, “I’m going to have to talk to Sen. Reid about that.”

He certainly left the impression that Reid had no cause to be so sure.

When I asked the leader about this at a briefing for reporters today, the senator appeared grumpy and would only say, “I have talked since Monday night of last week on Specter. I’m not going to talk any more about it. I have explained and re-explained and the re-explaining is over with.”

Reid spokesman Jim Manley walked his boss’ statement back, however, after the briefing, telling Fox that the leader was merely “hopeful and optimistic” and that, “Sen Reid never takes any votes for granted.”

Specter drama just keeps on rolling…
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 11:12 pm
Well Spector is crying in his beer that Reid reneged on the deal to let Specter keep his senority. What a bullshit deal, Spector has become the embarrassement of the Democrat Party instead of the Republican Party, and is still howling about his treatment. He should have declared as an independent, I doubt seriously that Penn. will embrace him as a bonafide Democrat, they will see him as the crass opportunist he is. Spector needs to hang it up and let the State make their choice. The Republicans might be pissed about his defection, but the Democrat Party is wondering why they couldn't have recruited one of the fine minds that do exist in the Republican camp. I wish all these dirtbags would work on resolving the terrible problems we face instead of posturing for re-election. I won't hold my breath.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 9 May, 2009 12:12 am
Quote:
Although to be honest, in the ranks of things you’d want to shed a tear over, Arlen Specter in exile falls only slightly ahead of the firing of Andrew Dice Clay on “Celebrity Apprentice.”

Specter said he voted against the Democratic budget on the grounds that it contained rules that would allow Obama to pass his health care plan with only 51 votes. Specter has his own far superior ideas for health care reform that, he said on “Meet the Press,” emphasize “exercise and diet and, and makes premiums lower on that basis.” It is a plan so excellent that it’s a wonder Arlen Specter is not the president of the United States at this very moment. Still, you might think that he’d want to give the guy who carried his state by 11 percentage points a little bit of help on this one.

Despite everything, Specter’s sojourn in the Democratic doghouse did not last very long. By the end of the week, the party leadership was rearranging things to give him a face-saving Senate subcommittee to chair. This is pretty much par for the course. After all, Joe Lieberman ran for re-election last year as an independent and then campaigned tirelessly for John McCain. Really, he did everything short of picketing the inauguration, and there was nary a wrist-slap.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/09/opinion/09collins.html

THe Democrats will never amount to anything, they have no balls. THe GOP has no Brains....time to replace both I think.
0 Replies

genoves

Reply Sat 9 May, 2009 12:40 am
@joefromchicago,
But Joe From Chicago knows that soon, due to the power exerted by BO in the Oval Office, the mayoralty of Chicago will soon devolve to low grade morons like Stroger or Jesse Jackson Jr. How, then, will Joe from Chicago be able to represent small time drug dealers at 26th and California? BO's South Side cadre will have cornered them all.
0 Replies

genoves

Reply Sat 9 May, 2009 12:47 am
@kuvasz,
Who is larrytribe? Is he a cherokee? There will be no filibuster over supreme court justices at this time. But there may well be after November 2010 if the horrendous Unemployment Statistics do not get better. An 8.9% Unemployment rate added to the Discouraged workers who have exhausted their Uemployment Benefits and no longer apply means that the TRUE unemployment numbers are around 15%.

The huge number of black, Latino and illiterates who voted for BO in 2008 will not be amenable to BO's convoluted Law Review type of explanation. We shall see.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 9 May, 2009 11:43 am
I hadn't heard anything about Biden's daughter being "coked up". I have however heard that his son recently returned after a tour of duty in Iraq. I suppose none of us here has ever had a relative involved in drug use. It's a rarity, only happens to Democrat politicians.

Any chance we can convince Arlen to switch back?
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 9 May, 2009 12:20 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

I hadn't heard anything about Biden's daughter being "coked up". I have however heard that his son recently returned after a tour of duty in Iraq. I suppose none of us here has ever had a relative involved in drug use. It's a rarity, only happens to Democrat politicians.

Any chance we can convince Arlen to switch back?

Laughing
0 Replies

genoves

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 03:08 am
Re: kuvasz (Post 3636894)
Who is larrytribe? Is he a cherokee? There will be no filibuster over supreme court justices at this time. But there may well be after November 2010 if the horrendous Unemployment Statistics do not get better. An 8.9% Unemployment rate added to the Discouraged workers who have exhausted their Uemployment Benefits and no longer apply means that the TRUE unemployment numbers are around 15%.

The huge number of black, Latino and illiterates who voted for BO in 2008 will not be amenable to BO's convoluted Law Review type of explanation. We shall see.
farmerman

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 05:21 am
@glitterbag,
Perhaps this is what Joe Sestak needs to initiate a run for the Senate. Only the wingnuts will vote for Toomey orSantorum (weve been burnt enough by Santorum and his "sneaking the Dark Ages " back into our schools. I dont think that hes gonna be a big force anymore. Even his former supporters are acting like he doesnt exist.

Santorum is now doing feature editorials for a newspaper syndicate, and hes not really good at that. His writing style is like a telephone book.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 13 May, 2009 07:47 am
Quote:
but the Democrat Party is wondering why they couldn't have recruited one of the fine minds that do exist in the Republican camp
bit of a oxymoron there i think.

Anyway, to continue with Specter, the more he does the more I wish he stayed where he was.

Arlen Specter to Speak at ‘Anti-Islamist’ Conference

Quote:
Next week, a coalition of conservative legal groups will host a “Libel Lawfare: Silencing Criticism of Radical Islam,” a conference on how “Islamist lawfare” is imperiling free speech in America. Confirmed speakers include neoconservative foreign policy guru Frank Gaffney, lawyer Andrew C. McCarthy (who turned down an invitation to a White House counterterrorism conference to protest administration policy), Islam critic David Pipes, and… Sen. Arlen Specter (D-Pa.), who will give the opening speech.

The event’s topic and speaker list are below the fold.

Islamists have launched a two-pronged effort to suppress free discourse on such subjects as Islam, radical Islam, terrorism, and terrorist funding:
* By filing predatory lawsuits.
* By passing “hate speech” and defamation laws.
Victims of these “lawfare” attacks have included the famous and the obscure, politicians, journalists, analysts and plain citizens.

This inhibition has great consequences, for when discussion of Islam and terrorism are limited, radical Islam is empowered and Western civilization is imperiled.

Issues to be discussed on May 19 include: A close analysis of Islamist methods; the possible need for legislation to protect free speech on these topics; a comparison of the situation in Europe and the United States; and ways to prevent the United Nations from curtailing discussion of Islam.

Hassan Daioleslam (Researcher, IranLobby.com)
Alan Dershowitz (Felix Frankfurter Professor of Law, Harvard Law School)
Frank Gaffney (President, the Center for Security Policy)
Brooke Goldstein (Attorney at law, Director of the Legal Project at the
Middle East Forum)
David Harris (Attorney at law, Director of the International and Terrorist
Intelligence Program, INSIGNIS Strategic Research Inc.)
Joe Kaufman (Chairman, Americans Against Hate)
Marc Lebuis (Blogger, Point de Bascule)
Andrew C. McCarthy (Director, the Center for Law and Counterterrorism)
Alan Mendoza (Executive Director, The Henry Jackson Society)
Douglas Murray (Director, the Centre for Social Cohesion)
Daniel Pipes (Director, the Middle East Forum)
Dean Reuter (The Federalist Society)
David Rivkin (Attorney at law, Baker Hostetler)
Elizabeth Samson (Attorney at law, Visiting Fellow at the Hudson Institute)
Barak Seener (Middle East Section Director, Henry Jackson Society)
Senator Arlen Specter (United States Senator, State of Pennsylvania)
James Taranto (Columnist, the Wall Street Journal)
John J Walsh (Attorney at law, Senior Counsel, Carter Ledyard & Milburn LLP)

Disregarding the merits or lack thereof of the conservative meeting, the very fact that he is attending only further proves that Specter is in no way trying to cozy up to the democrat party.

0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Wed 13 May, 2009 08:11 am
@genoves,
Lawrence Tribe is generally recognized as one of the foremost constitutional law scholars and Supreme Court practitioners in the United States. He is the author of American Constitutional Law (1978), the most frequently cited treatise in that field, and has argued before the U.S. Supreme Court 34 times.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 13 May, 2009 08:18 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Quote:
...if the only proper function of government is to destroy itself so that other social agents are unimpeded in operation, then Limbaugh and Palin make perfect sense.

Better this than a government that subsumes all other social agents.

And herein lies the rub.

You and your fellows who are inclined to believe that humanity is a blight upon the wholesome breast of Mother Gaia, seem to believe that a small subset of this same gaggle of viral parasites are best suited to decide the fates and fortunes of their fellow viruses.

All things non-human are best left to self-organizing systems that bear no taint of humanity, but all things human should be controlled and directed by the fancies and visions of a small set of anointed ones.

The incredible irony: Railing against the temerity of humans in believing they are exempt from Natural Law, but arguing that their destinies should be molded and constrained by a few of the very species that can't be trusted to not rape Gaia.

Humans must be kept from sticking their noses in earth's ecologies, but it's all OK with them engineering society and the economy.

Laughing

Appeal to Extremes, Non-sequitur, straw-man argument, and a good dose of plain idiocy thrown in for fun.

Your posts are getting worse and worse, John. A high-school student could do a better job forming argumentation than you do.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2012 01:19 pm
the dude is dead, does anyone care?

Where are all the accolades?
djjd62

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2012 01:29 pm
@hawkeye10,
as long as we still have ronnie spector, who cares about some dead political douchebag
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2012 01:30 pm
@hawkeye10,
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20121014/us-obit-arlen-specter-reaction/
0 Replies