osso and her eyes, again

panzade

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 04:02 pm
Great news. I know what you're going through osso
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 04:25 pm
Thanks, buddies... it was very heartening. The good news, and then also the connection with the md as a person.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 05:56 pm
Back again, and with essentially good news.
And maybe good news besides for me, re eye dilating.

I had the yearly/most thorough eye exam today; they are also checked at six months but not as completely. Visual fields checked today, for example.

The good news is that my eyes weren't dilated - because there is a new procedure, involving photographing the nerves. Pretty easy, it's a relatively new procedure. I'll have to look up the name - I saw it only briefly because I was in a hurry to catch the Senior Affairs Transportation van in time not to miss it, the last van, but I did get to stare at the photos (with explanations) and the visual fields, which can practically be overlain, very consistent.

The nerve photos showed I have abnormally thin optic nerves - but the good news about that is the pattern is for retinitis pigmentosa, so an expected thinning (by the ophthalmologist), and not glaucoma type thinning, which was possible... and I assume they would be a bitch together. The RP has long been stable (knock on wood) and since late 2005 the glaucoma in Leftie has been stable too. They'll watch it, but so far so good, and I am to keep up with the mad eye drop regime.

I'll have to look up more about this photography - I wonder if it will somewhat replace dilation.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 06:01 pm
@ossobuco,
GOOD! Good to learn you're doing okay.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 06:09 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Thx, CI.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 08:01 pm
Good news.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 08:26 pm
@ossobuco,
Yes, that is good to hear about the RP and glaucoma. Do celebrate!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 12:39 am
@ossobuco,
Glad to read some good news. Yes!
roger

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 12:43 am
@Roberta,
Definately better than bad.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 02:10 am
@ossobuco,
Very good news, osso.
A big relief, I'm sure.
I'm so pleased for you! Smile
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 03:54 am
@ossobuco,
Yoicks and Tally Ho!
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2012 08:44 am
Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 04:27 pm
New stuff re people with Retinitis pigmentosa...

interesting. I'm an unlikely person to be chosen for getting an implant since my rp is stable and my vision, while horrendously bad, is better than many other people's with the disease advancing. But this device sounds damned good.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/eye-implant-restore-vision-rare-cases-18502925
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 02:43 pm
Six month report, all's well, good conversation with doc.

I asked him about that test that photo'd the nerve on my last visit - it was so cool. It's a set up of Ocular Coherence Tomography, OCT.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_coherence_tomography
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19338607
He said it is revolutionizing seeing what is going on with the retina and optic nerve in practice.
Roberta

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 03:27 pm
@ossobuco,
All is well. Good.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 03:42 pm
@Roberta,
Adds, he said that when that was first being used, patients' eyes still had to be dilated for the OCT, and some portion still do for the OCT, but the resolution has improved, so even without dilation is still terrific for many situations.

Today, an ordinary visit, mine were dilated, no fancy schmancy, so now my back yard is looking strikingly sunny. Also I can see more places I should get around to scrubbing. Well, that will go back to normal soon.
And six months from now they'll run the OCT again and I can be dilation free. Good to know in advance.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 04:09 pm
I keep trying and trying to change the tags to cataracts, retinitis pigmentosa, and glaucoma, all three of which I have (or had, in the case of cataracts) and if anyone with eye problems is out there looking about any of those, it would be good to have those tags. But I can't get past the magic name osso, or the word eyes, depending on which of the others I try to add. I could use some back up.
jespah

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 04:13 pm
@ossobuco,
Ask and ye shall receive. Cool
ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 04:15 pm
@jespah,
Very Happy
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 06:15 pm
I enjoyed reading about this and wish you well.

I am VERY nearsighted but really have always thought that being deaf would be worse than losing my sight.