osso and her eyes, again

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 06:59 pm
@PUNKEY,
Thanks, Punkey, I wish you well too.
I'm somewhere on the skids - I can hear but say what a lot and can't afford (presently) any kind of aid. I've had a batch of eye trauma, but am actually damned lucky, as my RP is unusually slow and the glaucoma in the one eye was hell for a year but settled down and is very contained; it's called traumatic glaucoma. That nerve photo (OCT) showed damage typical to RP but not glaucoma, thank my dirty britches. So my stuff is not presently progressive - but I started this thread when I was scared out of my mind, and keep it up to let folks know, but also for others dealing with all this.

I've broken down a few times in the thread, so it goes.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 07:01 pm
@PUNKEY,
Enough about me and me and me - tell me about your eyes if you want, Punkey.
JLNobody

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 11:20 pm
@ossobuco,
Osso, your last post to Punkey reminds me of the time at a party when I suddently realized that I was hogging attention from a small group of friends. I said "Pardon me for hogging all our attention." I turned to a young person and said, "Tell us about you. What do you think of me?" Razz
ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Mar, 2013 09:04 am
@JLNobody,
Very Happy
ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2013 08:44 pm
@ossobuco,
Well, this and that has happened.

I thought I wrote about it here, but can't find it. Just as well, I was probably whining.

My eye with the five surgeries that caused an annoying md to laugh and ask if I knew I had palsy (what a card) has acted up. I've no idea if those surgeries caused anything, but I can see my face, thank you.

Anyway, lefty has blepharitis. About two weeks ago, I woke up with a slight blimp eye. I researched online and figure it was blepharitis related. I was, you know, busy re choices for fantasy football, due in short time.

I mostly didn't worry about it as I looked at this and that online and saw no immediate need to freak.
But time went by and eye got fatter and more oushy. Giant pink pig. Oh, and red creeping up the cornea.

Diane was out of town on her own serious business.

Wake up my neighbors? by then, what with my worry time, it was getting to 10:30 Saturday night. Last time on earth I want to go to UNM emergency.
I like my neighbors, but hey. They don't need to deal with this.

I called 911. The paramedics were great, especially the first at the door. But, two weeks prior I'd been with the ones with all the cords, the blood pressure scare.

But I was freaked about my pig eye, the baddie. You would be too. I need that eye.
This was all strange in that I mostly needed a ride (to hell).

They had trouble placing me, re my eye history. I got shunted to later.
Which turned out to be right, more or less.
Well, ophthalmologists seem not to be on call.

I saw a nurse practicioner that I liked some time in the morning. I got there at maybe ten pm, was seen at maybe 9 am. The place is a zoo, but interesting. I almost was interested, except it was hard to keep warm and curl up.

Meantime, I'd not wiped off of green glop from my eye (let's estimate approaching an inch long) so some nurse might notice. One did, and pushed for me to be seen, but, no. Not yet.

Honey, you are not in Los Angeles anymore.

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2013 08:46 pm
@ossobuco,
Scary stuff.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2013 08:50 pm
@ossobuco,
To add - this is not all against UNM, at all. I admire how the place copes. I'm strongly for it.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2013 09:00 pm
@ossobuco,
I bring this up as Lefty was odd this morning. I gave it a shot of antibio. Guhhh.

I'll be emailing my ophthalmologist. No way I'm going to emergency for this.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2013 10:23 pm
@ossobuco,
But back when I was catching the rampant bus home, I talked with a clearly blind man. He straightened me out, re catching my bus, to cross Lomas to the other side. Which I did.

He was maybe 28.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2013 11:09 pm
@ossobuco,
I suppose I need to add that on my trip to the hospital, I was helped to deal with the bus. That wasn't true the time I took the bus before that. Fking speedster on accessing highway 40, about threw me across the floor.
So this time I was glad.

Maybe they have hired saner people.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2013 11:23 pm
@ossobuco,
Throwing in an oy. Don't know what to say. Not sure what's going on.

Osso, please let us know. You know I worry.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2013 07:18 am
reading along

sending an oy!
ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2013 08:18 am
@JPB,
Well, there are varied kinds of blepharitis, but they all involve the lipids in the eyelid. There are normal flora bacteria and sometimes a fungus in the mix depending on your type of blepharitis (one can have more than one type). When one or more of the channels for the lipids to get out is blocked, the blocked goo gets hard and the bacteria can act up. Which is what happened the night I went to emergency for it (that was saturday and sunday) and was fixed when I took antibiotic. I saw an ophthalmologist on Tuesday when it was almost all better and he told me to just use the anti bio before retiring, and only for a couple of more days. This goes against the usual prescription re antibiotics, but in this case the bacteria were normal lipid flora and the stoppage had stopped.

We'll see; I think I have enough erythromycin left to do the job but will email my main ophthalmologist (not the one I saw last Tues.) after I've had my morning coffee to see if he wants to see me/wants to prescribe more antibio.

Me crabby.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 10:00 pm
@ossobuco,
I got an email from my eye surgeon, copasetic.

At the least I can get to him.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 10:17 pm
@ossobuco,
That was me trying to post photos re Katy.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 10:41 pm
@ossobuco,
Most sites I've read about this, chalazia, are pretty calming, no big deal.
A couple say it can get serious re infection. Orbital somethingorother.

I think an inch of green glop counts as infection. I'm moderately irritated that almost everyone else in the emergency waiting room was taken before me - the nurse who did the surveying, taking our bps every few hours, saw the glop (I didn't wipe it off on purpose, it was green) and tried to get me upgraded, and no.

This was all based, I now recognize, by where the paramedics sent me - they told me they had trouble deciding.
Sturgis

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 01:29 am
@ossobuco,
Hoping all of this gets resolved quickly and there's a good permanent treatment so you'll not have to deal with this again.

(by the way, it's not whining when you're talking of serious issues or any matters of personal health and well being)
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 10:59 am
@ossobuco,
Oy, hope this gets resolved soon. {{{{osso}}}}
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 05:45 pm
@ossobuco,
DAmn , I hope you get this behind you real quick. Im soon gonna need some new recipes for pumpkin pies.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 06:40 pm
@farmerman,
I've read a lot re chalazia/meibomian cysts since I posted on this. Apparently they come and go, can last for months and are no big deal, especially with people with blepharitis, unless they become orbital, as in massive infection. Urgh, as that's what it felt like in the emergency room a while back, with the green glop and conjunctivitis.

This time it's hard to tell if it the lid is infected - it was slightly swollen but no conjunctivitis today, so I'm thinking not - but I got all scaredy and emailed my main man, and he emailed back that he had sent a long term antibio prescription to walgreen's in case I ever get stuck with obvious infection again on a weekend (no clinic hours). Let's say I'm watching, and doing a lot of warm compress stuff.

If this was going on in my good eye, I'd be a complete mess.