US DECLARES A SWINE FLU EMERGENCY

farmerman

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2009 10:44 pm
@chai2,
On A2k its always more fun to take a previous statement , even one as reasonable yours, and , by applying a bit of the superlative in his comparison , one can make it appear that a reasonable precaution is "extreme".
As I said, its easy to see where brown is coming from in this so keeping a sense of humour and merely poking him back is just as reasonable. If he cares not for his children as much as I care for mine, well, I shall be a good guy and not bitch at his careless use of our overextended health insurance system where we irresponsibly pay for "lifestyle illness".

patiodog

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 05:19 am
@farmerman,
People are so selfish. Europe had something of a golden age after the plague wiped out a third of the population. Now, confronted by economic convulsions, overpopulation, and environmental devastation we're trying to prevent a pandemic? Do we not care about the people to walk the earth after us?

If we really cared about the future, we'd let this flu burn whither it will...
farmerman

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 05:25 am
@patiodog,
and with a lot of cleansing fires.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 05:35 am
Someone I know says she got an email from OSU medical center saying they've got a confirmed case of swine flu and wanted to tell her (not sure why her) before it hit the media. Might be true, might not be.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 06:14 am
@patiodog,
Look on the bright side!

I suspect it will burn whither it will willy nilly.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 07:38 am
It's all fun and games until someone gets an eye poked out Smile
dyslexia

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 07:42 am
in defiance of all reason, yesterday I wore my 5 yr old pig suede jacket.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 08:29 am
@dyslexia,
Let's hope no one mistook you for a football.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 03:01 pm
Apparently a really big bottl;e of some IPA has the same powers to send this flu into hiding as does a shot of Tammyflu.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 03:08 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

It's all fun and games until someone gets an eye poked out Smile

after that, it's a sport
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 06:36 pm
Quote:
"We expect to see more cases, more hospitalizations, and, unfortunately, we are likely to see more deaths from the outbreak," Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius told reporters Wednesday on her first day at work.

But certainly nothing that would dwarf a typical flu season. In the U.S., between 5% and 20% of the population becomes ill and 36,000 people die -- a mortality rate of between 0.24% and 0.96%.

http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-sci-swine-reality30-2009apr30,0,3606923.story
ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 06:55 pm
@patiodog,
Right, Patio, I meant to post that, but I was off having fun today. So tnx.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 07:02 pm
@ebrown p,
Well ebrown p, I have to say you sound sensible to me.

I've carefully read the CDC's recommendations on flu prevention, and those practices do NOT include opening a bathroom door while holding a paper towel, or wearing gloves on subways/buses.

I personally do not have the time to worry about germs/viruses all day long.

I think there's a very fine line between "legitimate concern for our personal health" and "being neurotic." But that's just my personal opinion.

My point: Let's try to enjoy life, shall we?

I work in a public library, where germs/viruses are virtually always rampant. I do NOT open (public) bathroom doors with paper towels in hand. I have not been ill in years.
BorisKitten

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 07:10 pm
@chai2,
Oh, and chai2, sweetie, I actually DO look left, right, then left again before proceeding in my car.

My sister was killed by a drunk driver running a red light, 30 years ago. (I also virtually Always wear my seat belt.)

So NO, I don't mean to say you're neurotic, here. Please don't take offense!

Kinda wish I knew more about ebrown, tell ya the truth.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 08:11 pm
@BorisKitten,
I've posted on the door fear before, snorting, but I can see it in a hospital situation.

Mostly I think germs inure us against germs (to make quite a long story short, immunologically), but I can see precautions with immuno challenged - whatever the current word is - people.
0 Replies

candide

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 08:59 pm
Maybe if were really lucky it will take out half the world population and fix all the proplems we won't take responsibility for.

Then we can start ******* up all over again. Except where to we dispose of 3,350,000,000 dead bodies?
ebrown p

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 09:40 pm
@candide,
The more I learn about this "emergency" the more I think that everyone is overreacting (and this time I mean governments, schools, vice presidents and everyone).

The mortality rate is about 5% in Mexico (and this includes selection bias) and about less than 1 out of 1000 everywhere else in the world.

I guess I understand the overabundance of caution... I mean who wants to be the public official who calls it wrong. But at what point does someone stand up and say... ummmm ... it looks like there really isn't that much to this story? After all closing schools, shutting down businesses, stopping air and bus travel... all of these things are awfully costly if it turns out they weren't warranted by the real facts.

OK, I will do it.

Ummmmmm.... it looks like there might not really be anything to this story...
candide

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 09:51 pm
@ebrown p,
I think everybody is waiting for more facts and intill then.......MAYHEM!!
ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 09:56 pm
@candide,
This gets less cute to me... (and hi, amigo)

I admit I'm not much of a fear bearer..
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 06:42 am
@patiodog,
From the same article;
Quote:
Though scientists have begun to relax about the initial toll, they're considerably less comfortable when taking into account the fall flu season. They remain haunted by the experience of 1918, when the relatively mild first wave of flu was followed several months later by a more aggressive wave.

The longer the virus survives, the more chances it has to mutate into a deadlier form.

"If this virus keep going through our summer," Palese said, "I would be very concerned."

Lucky the whole world is just coming into summer I guess.

Oh... wait a minute...

0 Replies