Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 06:33 am
@patiodog,
I think of them as Public Enemy No 1.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 06:52 am
@BorisKitten,
BorisKitten wrote:

(I also virtually Always wear my seat belt.)

No offense taken BK...

but, this quote above, doesn't make sense.

You virtually always wear a seat belt?

Why not always?

I always wear one, and don't worry about it. Wearing one helps to ensure I stay alive to enjoy life.

Taking flu percautions that others don't is just a matter of course, like clicking on your seat belt before starting the car. I don't even think about it, any more than I think of covering my mouth when I cough.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 07:02 am
@farmerman,
Amen.
spendius

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 07:11 am
@dlowan,
Are you having a good time Bunny running around with a clipboard looking important and concerned to save everybody's life.

There are 60 deaths and about 600 manglings in the UK every week caused by driving motor cars. I don't know about asthma and other lung pollutants but the swine flu is chickenfeed by the side of that lot.

Millions of people don't even have clean water to drink. Permanently.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 07:44 am
If we expect our nurses to wash their hands properly before taking care of us, why wouldn't we do the same to take care of ourselves?

I just can't get past that some people think these are such arduous tasks, that would require everyone to be constantly thinking about it, and taking up all our time. It's just one of those things that are 2nd nature, like saying good morning.

These comments that washing hands and (gasp) using a towel to turn off the faucet and open the door being so extreme is utterly ridiculous. It's has if it's being proposed we quit our jobs and live in a closet by ourselves.

News flash....good handwashing technique is something that should be practiced anyway, as unimaginable as that is.

Get over it. Wash your hands well, avoid crowds and eat right/drink plenty of water. What a radical concept.

If this, or any virus gets to the breakout stage, who do you think is more likely to get sick? Those who may have been harboring the virus anyway, or those who took simple easy steps to avoid it? I said "more likely".

I'm truly befuddled that anyone would think these common sense practices are so hard to remember, and do. The worst that will happen? You decrease your liklihood of getting sick, but wow, at such a great cost...washing your hands the correct way.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 08:30 am
@ebrown p,
Quote:
I also find it odd that you are quoting the gun nuts about having something and not needing.
The gun enthusiasts havent coopted this little ditty. Im only quoting the line as was listed in the Huey Lewis song of the same name. Things arent always one dimensional.

I can somewhat understand your "live by a primal code" philosophy. I, however, like the techy advances weve made in the last 500 years, especially in epidemiology. Epidemics used to ravage our planet every 100 years or so, and since weve developed the germ theory, our numbers of worldwide killer epidemics has dropped remarkeably.

I give a pat on the back to epidemiologists and microbiologists whove tracked this sucker down to a pig farm in NC in 1998. Science can be near to magic sometimes , dont you think?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 09:13 am
@ebrown p,
Quote:
it would probably avoid the costs of the current panic.
. Do you really think that there is a panic going on out there? Most of the responses in Mexico have been pretty passive (If youd seen the charicatured face masks with the big Zappatista moustaches and cartoon faces. I think everyone handled the condition well.
hamburgboy

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 05:44 pm
@farmerman,
i'm not up to much posting yet , but have stareted scanning the newspapers from around the world again .
here is an article from TIMESONLINE re. swineflu that caught my attention :

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/health/article6623554.ece

Quote:
July 3, 2009

Swine flu cannot be stopped as 100,000 new cases per day feared

(hamburgboy = hamburger)
0 Replies

hamburgboy

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 07:06 pm
the WHO also declares that the swine flu will likely be unstoppable - though the majority of the cases have so far been fairly mild :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8130196.stm

from the BBC : last updated at 22:50 GMT, Thursday, 2 July 2009 23:50 UK

Quote:
The UN's top health official has opened a forum in Mexico on combating swine flu by saying that the spread of the virus worldwide is now unstoppable.

World Health Organization head Margaret Chan added that the holding of the meeting in Cancun showed confidence in Mexico, which has been hard hit.

The WHO says most H1N1 cases are mild, with many people recovering unaided.

As the summit opened, the UK alone was projecting more than 100,000 new cases of H1N1 a day by the end of the summer.

As the peak of the flu season approaches in South America, some areas have declared a public health emergency and Paraguay has reported its first death
ehBeth

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 07:12 pm
@hamburgboy,
Although people continue to die of this in Canada, it's almost fallen off the news here. I'll have to do some searching.
roger

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 07:16 pm
The way this thing is spreading in the northern hemisphere is real cause for concern, considering that the normal flu season is still maybe four months away. This thing has apparantly shown one mutation already. Seems likely it will do it again, making the problems either better or worse.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 09:06 pm
@roger,
alarming to me is that we are only just now beginning to make flu vaccine. I don't see from the production numbers any way that we will have enough when we need it if this thing mutates into a highly deadly form. The what do we do at that point? Normally you give flu vaccine to the weakest members of the collective, but we already know that this flu kills primarily the most healthy members.
0 Replies

hamburgboy

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 08:50 am
@ehBeth,
i believe the medical experts have a hard time assessing the eventual risk of a full-blown swine flu epedemic at this time .
while they do not want the population to become unduly alarmed , they also do not want us to take it too lightly .

certainly in canada the SARS problem is well remembered by the medical researchers who made some severe mistakes in asssessing the threat of SARS - there are still people suffering from the infection - and i understand that lawsuits are still winding their way through the courts .

that seems to be one of the reasons why we are being told : " don't be UNDULY alarmed " , but also being told : "don't even think of trying to get your kids infected by attending a swine flu party " .

it would not surprise me if we are at least several months away from having an effective vaccine available . vaccines take time to develop - and usually a testing period of several months .

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2009/07/02/flu-parties.html

Quote:
Swine flu party? Bad idea, experts say

Last Updated: Thursday, July 2, 2009 | 3:08 PM ET
The Canadian Press

Health officials are giving a big thumbs-down to the idea of so-called swine flu parties where people who already have the new H1N1 virus are brought together with others, including children, in order to infect them.

The apparent reason is that some people believe it's better to get H1N1 now while it causes mostly mild illness than in the fall when the virus might become more deadly.

Infectious disease experts, however, say deliberately attempting to develop immunity against swine flu is not a good idea.

Dr. Michael Gardam of the University Health Network in Toronto says he has heard about people tossing around the idea of flu parties for their children.

But he says the disease is not always benign, and children have become seriously ill or even died after getting infected.

in canada , native northern communinities have been hit early and hard by the swine flu .
on-site medical personnel blame the lack of clean water and such basic things as hand-sanitizers for it spreading in those communities .

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/story/2009/06/22/mb-fluplan.html

Quote:
Northern Manitoba native groups co-ordinate swine flu response
Last Updated: Monday, June 22, 2009 | 9:25 AM CT
CBC News

Critical incident managers from northern Manitoba aboriginal reserves are in Winnipeg this week to co-ordinate their response to the swine flu outbreak.

Staff from about 30 First Nations will be studying pandemic management and communication strategies. Some northern communities have been hit hard by swine flu.

Sydney Garrioch, grand chief of the northern chiefs, said northern communities need to maximize their pandemic response systems. "It's desperately needed," he said of the planning and co-ordination session. "Some communities don't have an organized system at all to work with and they have very limited resources or infrastructure in place."

The planning session starts Monday and runs until Thursday.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 09:12 am
@hamburgboy,
Quote:
it would not surprise me if we are at least several months away from having an effective vaccine available . vaccines take time to develop - and usually a testing period of several months .

the formula is decided upon, though is untested. The problem now is that it is impossible to produce the two doses per person needed between now and the start of flu season. Only a fraction of the desired amount will be ready. And it may not even work.
Letty

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 09:20 am
@hamburgboy,
Welcome back, hbgb.

Remember this?

http://theragblog.blogspot.com/2009/04/swine-flu-scare-and-1918-spanish-flu.html
0 Replies

hamburgboy

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 03:00 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawk wrote :

Quote:
the formula is decided upon, though is untested

1) will it prove successful during the testing stage ?

2) will it work without major side-effects in the general population ?

i well remember taking the oral vaccine during the 1976/77 swine-flu scare .
(i think i have the time-frame right ?) .
from what i recall , two doses were given out before the third - and final - dose was withdrawn because of possibly severe side-effects .

http://archives.cbc.ca/health/disease/clips/12711/

i believe some very difficult decisions will have to be made before approving the so far untested vaccine for widespread use .

roger

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 03:11 pm
@hamburgboy,
I have the same recollections and share the concerns for a vaccine produced on a crash basis. I routinely get the usual flu shot on an annual basis. If this one is available to me, I would give it a lot of thought before accepting it.
hamburgboy

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 03:15 pm
i wanted to add this link but didn't want to lose the thread in the process :

http://books.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=12660&page=R1

to read parts of this very interesting report , click on the arrow > at the bottom of the linked source .

Quote:
The Swine Flu Affair
Decision-Making on a Slippery Disease

In early February 1977, less than two weeks after taking office as Secretary of Health, Education and Welfare, I was faced with a difficult health policy decision: Whether to release stocks of influenza vaccine that had been withheld after use of the vaccine was linked with the Guillain-Barré Syndrome"an often paralyzing and sometimes killing side effect.

In the fall of 1976, HEW had begun vaccinating millions of citizens in an unprecedented national influenza program"an attempt to vaccinate virtually the entire American population against swine flu, and to vaccinate high-risk persons against both swine flu and A/Victoria flu.

Two main formulations of vaccine had been produced for this nationwide immunization drive: one, monovalent"the swine flu vaccine alone; the other, bivalent"the swine flu vaccine combined with A/Victoria vaccine. But over a two-month period in the fall of 1976, use of these vaccines on millions of people

had turned up a hitherto unrecognized association between flu vaccine and Guillain-Barré Syndrome. Was Guillain-Barré the result of the swine flu vaccine, the A/Victoria vaccine, or all flu vaccines? No one could be certain.

(the 20 page part of the report can be found at the link - but this small part of the report may suffice to show the rather difficult decisions that likely will have to be made again ) .

let's just hope that the majority of the current and upcoming swine flu cases will continue to be rather mild .
hamburgboy

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 03:20 pm
@roger,
roger wrote :

Quote:
I would give it a lot of thought before accepting it

just imagine the difficulty parents with children will have : should the children have the vaccination or not ?
that'll be a tough one imo .
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 03:23 pm
@hamburgboy,
hamburgboy wrote:

let's just hope that the majority of the current and upcoming swine flu cases will continue to be rather mild .

On the other hand: a Hong Kong girl has contracted a strain of swine flu resistant to Tamiflu - the world's third reported case. ...