Interesting Ways to Propose

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 12:51 pm
I know a friend of a friend who recently thought up what has to be the most "unique" (I'll leave it at that) way of proposing to his beloved, at least that I've ever heard of:

He takes his fiancé-to-be to a nice restaurant. Unbeknownst to the beloved, he has earlier worked out a scheme with the waiter whereby the waiter, at some point during the meal, pretends to steal the woman's purse and runs out the door. The man then heroically chases after him, leaving the beloved behind for a few moments. The man returns looking a little roughed up but with purse in hand. He suggests to his beloved that she check the purse to make sure everything is there. A little shaken up, she does so and unexpectedly finds a ring among the contents, whereupon the man falls on bended knee and asks for her hand in marriage.

Alrighty, then! I wish them a happy marriage. Do you have any interesting proposal stories?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 5,664 • Replies: 24

Linkat

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 12:55 pm
@Shapeless,
My future husband looked at me and said, I think we should just go ahead and get married.

What a romantic!
Linkat

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 12:58 pm
My other thought, as cool as that idea is, what if some other hot handsome buffed guy also goes running out and gets to the "purse snatcher" first, proceeds to beat the crap out of the poor sap, returns the purse to your friend's girl, she opens the purse sees the ring and falls madly in love with the hunk?

Or what if the girl is tricky - she trips the would be thief, he hits his head and is knocked out - could damper things a bit.

Really though it is a cute idea.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 01:08 pm
@Linkat,
I think it could work if you know your beloved isn't going to be terrified for the few moments while the man is heroically bounding after the "thief," or that she won't come chasing after you. Otherwise, she might actually just prefer your future husband's method. Very Happy

I was trying to think of what would would be even more unnecessarily terrifying than the purse-snatcher scenario. Here's the best I came up with: you take your beloved to a fancy restaurant, order an expensive bottle of wine, and as you down my first sip you pretend to choke, perhaps even falling from your chair and writhing a bit. Finally you put your hand to your mouth, pretend to cough something up, and then dramatically open your hand to reveal a beautiful diamond ring.
chai2

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 01:18 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

My future husband looked at me and said, I think we should just go ahead and get married.

What a romantic!

What a guy.

When Wally and I got together, we had both just come out of bad marriages. I made it clear to him that I need some space for a while, to get my life back in order, that I couldn't handle the thought of making a committment at that moment, etc.

He said, "That's fine, but remember, I'm only going to ask you to marry me once."

A few months later, we were sitting on the couch watching TV, no where near any romantic talk going on, when out of the clear blue sky he says (not even changing his tone) "will you marry me?", the same way he would have said we were almost out of peanut butter. He didn't even look at me.

I looked at him and thought "well, that's a lousy way to propose", but then I remembered what he had said, and I believed him.

So I said "yes" and that was it.

Shapeless, I can appreciate that some people want to stage a production over getting engaged, but that's not my style.

I really don't want/need the rest of the world to know what's going on when that happens.

So, no billboards set up along the route I take to work, or planes towing signs or skywriters for me thanks.

Linkat

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 01:49 pm
@Shapeless,
Either you could terrify the poor girl - I guess it depends on the girl. She may love or she may hate it.

By the way he is now my husband so as unromantic as it was - I guess it is what you feel for the person that really matters in the end.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 01:52 pm
@chai2,
Besides all those billboards and crap are expensive - you need the money for the wedding.

Yeah I think we were both sitting on the couch watching TV as well - then we went out and looked at rings. Kind of glad I did as the type of ring I thought I wanted (much more flashy) actually didn't look good on me - I ended up with a simple round diamond - it just plain old looked better on my hand than the one with two smaller diamonds next to the round one in the middle.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 02:54 pm
forgive me shapeless, but I have to tell this story, even though it isn't about an engagement....

One time I went to a happy hour with a few co-workers, must have been 5 or 6 of us.

It was a busy happy hour, a Friday around 6pm, the place was full. A table nearby had 5 or 6 people too, just relaxing and joking.

All of a sudden, this young woman stormed up to their table and started arguing with one of the men there, loudly.

She said "So HERE you are! Out with your friends drinking and having a good time when you told me you were working late! I called your office and they said you were here. I've had it with you Steve. You're always lying to me, and you'd rather spend your time with your friends instead of me! This is the last time you'll do this to me, I'm breaking our engagement!"

With that she pulls this ring off her finger, and throws it at him.

The entire place was sitting there, mouths open, watching. Holy ****, she just threw her engagement ring at him! Damn! The guy was just sitting there with this shocked look on his face.

Then she said "I don't want anything more to do with you. Here, you bought me these earrings and you can just have them back (she pulls them off and heaves them at him too - Boy was she mad). Here, you gave me this stupid scarf and I never liked it, go hang yourself with it. "(pulls it off, throws it on the floor and stomps on it)

His co-workers were all just staring at this, like they can't believe this guys life is falling apart right there. Well, none of us in the place could believe it.

Then she says "You know, you gave me this blouse too! Take it back" Off comes the silk blouse....then the skirt too. Shocked

Finally, she pulls out a boom box and turns it on and starts to dance. It was all a joke his friends were playing for this guys birthday. The place was in an uproar.

That young lady was really a good actress, she had us all going until the very end.
djjd62

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 03:00 pm
some comedian was talking about the baseball game proposal, the score board flashes "ellen, will you marry me?, bob"

can you imagine some random couple ellen and bob on their first date, she thinks you're a creep and never calls you again, or worse she says yes
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 03:14 pm
@chai2,
Genius. Very Happy
CoastalRat

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2009 08:40 am
@Shapeless,
I have a friend who dressed up as a knight and got a horse. He had his future father in law bring his intended to the stables where he got the horse from and as she was walking toward the stables, he gallantly rode up to her. And then, when he pulled on the reins to stop the horse, said horse came to a screeching stop and he hit the ground rather suddenly. But he quickly regained his composure, crawled the few feet toward her and proposed. She accepted once she stopped laughing and they have been happily married for 17 years or so now.

Me? My future bride looked at me one evening while we were sitting in her parents home and suggested it was about time for me to propose. I took the hint and did so. And I've been acting on her hints now for almost 27 years. (Although I tell people a totally different story about how I got married.)
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2009 11:06 am
http://pbfcomics.com/archive_b/PBF084-No_Survivors.gif
Shapeless

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2009 11:22 am
@Gargamel,
Ha! Reminds me of the last scene from Grosse Point Blank.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2009 11:28 am
@Gargamel,
The severed-head question mark is a nice touch...
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2009 11:29 am
T and I had been dating forever before we got engaged. We started dating in High School - I was 17, she was 16. I finally proposed toward the end of college.

She wanted it to be a surprise though, so I threw her off the scent. A couple of months before I actually proposed, I took her to the ballet and insisted that we both dress formally - I even wore a tux.

No proposal.... She was a little miffed.

Then a couple of months later we went to a nice dinner at the Hyatt, went for a carriage ride, and I proposed as we were crossing the river.
Shapeless

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2009 12:17 pm
@DrewDad,
One of my good buddies did something similar. He and his then-girlfriend had a discussion one night about how they both felt marriage was the next step. Some time later they decided it'd be nice to take a romantic vacation somewhere, so my friend buys two tickets for a summer cruise or something. His girlfriend, sensing the inevitable is now just a few months away, is ecstatic. But instead of waiting until the trip came around, he proposed the very next day, in the morning after they'd come home from the grocery store. She never saw it coming, and loved it.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2009 05:58 am
@Shapeless,
I proposed my sweetie this way...

We usually goto a nearby Hindu temple where I gave her a "laddu" (A small ball of sweet cottage cheese) which is the god food. I asked her to share it with me, she broke it two halfs and found a ring inside.

Just when she found a ring the temple bell was ranged (by some random visitor)!

It was divine, for sure! Smile
Gargamel

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2009 08:28 am
@vinsan,
Awwwwwwwwww.
chai2

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2009 09:40 am
@Gargamel,
Gargamel wrote:

Awwwwwwwwww.

I agree, that was really cool. Private, but special.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 12:37 pm
I worked with a man who took his girlfriend to his hometown of Montreal and proposed on top of Mt. Royal.

A woman I knew was awoken by a call from her boyfriend, telling her that a friend of hers would be over in an hour to send her on a scavenger hunt. She was then led through her life, starting at her parents home, the schools she attended, the places she worked and the place where they met. At each place a friend or relative gave her something. At the final stop, a bar where they went on there first date, her best friend was waiting with a stack of bridal mags. They had a glass of wine and an appetizer together. When they finished, a limo was waiting outside which took her to a bed and breakfast on Boston's North Shore. She went to the desk, where there was a packed bag of clothes waiting for her. She was then directed to the beach, where her boyfriend waited with a blanket, a small fire (it was spring), a bottle of champagne and a ring.