Just a matter of time – I’ve lost it/insanity

Linkat

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 02:51 pm
I’ve lots of work to do " but I cannot stand it any longer. I liked my job generally as much as you can. But with the downturn, we’ve laid off and are slashing everything. So more work for those that stayed behind. But I kept positive " at least I have a job.

After the layoffs " emails about too many pens (I am serious). I now use pens I have gotten free from hotels that I have around the house. Stuff surrounding span of control, people losing titles, possibility of not managing people, emails of no merit increases, threats of no profit sharing/retirement benefits/almost everything/new lean philosophy implemented. All this stuff gives me more projects and things to track. But I’m positive I have a job.

Now even considering the bad economy, I get a resignation. Not just a bozo that just gets by, but someone that contributes a great deal and is great to work with. We try to see if we can offer something " as this is in part to location. Nope no can do, we are cutting in my location " we can not add. Well doesn’t matter this guy has had it. He lost his title, is concerned about the direction (or lack there of) of what the h*ll is going on. Can’t blame him, I feel the same way.

I don’t know how much longer I can maintain “but I still have a job”. If I didn’t have kids, a husband (who isn’t working) and a mortgage, I could do what this guy is doing. But instead I am headed to insanity.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 3,019 • Replies: 50

mismi

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 02:54 pm
@Linkat,
Good Grief Linkat - I think you do pretty darn well...reading that I almost lost it for you! Hang in there. I can't imagine how hard it must be for you.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 02:55 pm
@Linkat,
Sometimes, responsibilities suck.

And someone needs to fire whomever it is that has enough time to E-mail people about using too many pens.
Linkat

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 02:56 pm
@DrewDad,
I would, but it is kinda hard to fire the president of our division.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 02:59 pm
@Linkat,
I've been insane before on a job, but it was one with an endpoint I was holding on for. I greatly sympathize.

Shall we take up an old advertising ball point pen collection? No, I suppose that wouldn't be good.
Linkat

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 03:00 pm
@mismi,
I want to cry. I schedule our work out and our Texas location as well as work as another location. I really see the impact since I give these assignments out - I work all afternoon for the each months assignments, then I am told take this person and that person off this project so now everyone else's work increaseses more and it was barely do-able as it was. Sometimes I am doing my work as well as another level of work because we don't have enough people.

As much as we could use my husband's salary (we have started to get into our savings to pay bills), it is helpful having him home - he does pretty much all the laundry and kid picking up and homework and our yard looks great.
DrewDad

@Linkat,
So anonymously forward it to his boss, and ask, "why does he have time to worry about this?"
DrewDad

@DrewDad,
Make sure you scrub the header info, though..... Wink
Linkat

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 03:02 pm
@ossobuco,
I am exaggerating a bit, but there was a huge thing about how many different pens are ordered. So now we can only order when we are all out of pens completely. I usually use colored type of pens as I proofread and review stuff - easier to see than the usual blue and black pens. Also, adults prefer not to have comments in red as it reminds them of school - so I like a bright purple or green for proof reading.

It is just easier now for me to get my own so I don't get any grief.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 03:03 pm
@DrewDad,
Oh, they'd spend even more time to hunt me down. Easier just to get my own pens.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 03:05 pm
Not to mention, last week I'm on a conference call and some one asks me why some of this stuff is late. Because we have too much work dodo head! I did say because we are so busy - I guess I prioritize the work that has a regulatory deadline over a report to a bunch of bozos. I did leave the word bozos out.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 03:08 pm
@Linkat,
I know it is good to have him home...I don't know how full time Mom's do it when there husbands are working as well. I just work 18 hours a week and feel I am always behind. But I know having him back to work would be somewhat of a relief wouldn't it? I would be crying - trust me...I am so not cut out for that kind of responsibility....I don't wear it well...but you seem to do a great job, girl.
Linkat

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 03:09 pm
@mismi,
thanks - I figured it was better to write it hear than actually saying it.

Although there is a possibility I could - just get me the right way.
Linkat

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 03:10 pm
And I am desperate - I just bought a lottery ticket - pray for me!
mismi

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 03:28 pm
@Linkat,
thoughts and prayers girly Smile
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 03:44 pm
@Linkat,
talk away girl when you want to - this A2K family here somehow have a way of listening and giving a perspective that makes the "figuring" a little less hard when it's spinning around.

thoughts for you. x
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 04:00 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I would, but it is kinda hard to fire the president of our division.

they "laid-off" the president of our company the other week - about a week after the meeting where he said he didn't know if there would be more lay-offs, possibly because he might be on the list. We hold our breath every Tuesday, and I lower my chair in hopes no one notices me.

Rant on, kiddo, this is a great place to do it.
sakhi

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 11:03 pm
@Linkat,
Hey Linkat, here's hoping things get better on the work front. Sounds tough...

It isn't pleasant at all where I work either. I have now survived a few rounds of layoff in which everyone I worked with in B'lore (and my manager in the US) were laid off.

I used to really like working here but I'm not so sure now.

Where I work, they don't bother about pens and other operational costs - in fact, they gave us bonuses in Dec (they're crazy!!). And then they go lay off the *best* people (intelligent, experienced, and sensible ones). The company ends up paying dearly (in more ways than one) for this.

And now, we know that there is more layoff and other cuts to come. Entire divisions will be shut down. It's so bad now that I am hoping I get laid off next time.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 12:47 am
OK there are a few things you can do:

- Get your husband to work one day a week.
- Get the kids part time jobs (I had all sorts of odd jobs when I was young).
- Rent out a portion of your house to a border, or put in a secondary suite / basement suite.
- Draw up a budget and identify expenses that can be omitted / postponed without additional costs.
- Shop around to confirm your mortgage payments are as low as possible given this very low interest-rate environment.
- Look into other ways to reduce costs such as shopping around on insurance rates, and reducing energy consumption.

The bottom line is that reducing overall financial stress, will make work related stress easier to handle!
chai2

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 06:40 am
feeling your pain linkat.

I think part of it is that the higher ups want to feel like they are "doing something", so they start with this micro managing crap. It seems to be spreading through the corp I work for like the Spanish Flu.
0 Replies