Just a matter of time – I’ve lost it/insanity

DrewDad

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 06:48 am
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:
- Rent out a portion of your house to a border, or put in a secondary suite / basement suite.

What a great idea when one has children living in the house!
Linkat

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 06:54 am
@ehBeth,
Yep - common feeling - I know on the day that the ax was coming down I felt the same way. Fortunately we knew ahead of time the time - only because the local news announced it that morning on the drive in - not because anyone in the company told us ahead of time.

I know this president - not personally, but I have "worked" for him at another company before - it seems he goes from company to company to slash things and make worklife in general h*ll. After experiencing it elsewhere I sort of know what to expect. I figure in a couple of years he will be gone from here too and some where else to inflict pain on others. I wonder how he sleeps at night?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 07:00 am
@Chumly,
Your funny:

-How do you get your husband to work one day a week when he doesn't have a job?
-My kids are 10 and 6 - and they go to school too young to work parttime and how the h*ll do I get them to a job?
-I live in a two bedroom condo - no area to rent out unless my husband and me sleep in the living room.
-We've done the budget thing and slashed and changed phone service, etc to allow for the lowest prices possible
-We have a low mortgage (it is in the low 5s) and have other reasons why we cannot refinance at this time.

We have enough money put away that we don't have to worry right now. I just hate taking out of savings as we want to buy a house in the next couple of years (once the real estate market is such that we can sell). So we are not in dire financial need right now - but could be if hubby doesn't get work in the next 10 months or so. We have wiggle room, we just would have to give up the hope of buying a house.
chai2

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 11:19 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Your funny:

-My kids are 10 and 6 - and they go to school too young to work parttime and how the h*ll do I get them to a job?

Aren't there any coal mines in your neighborhood?

Small people are useful for slithering through small places, once you slather them with hog fat.

school.....holy crap, these kids today, talk about spoiled.

well, the 6 year old could stay in school another year or 2, but what's this malarky about a 10 year old still living the life of Riley, sitting on her butt all day?
Linkat

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 12:20 pm
@chai2,
I do constantly tell them they need to pull their own weight and get a job.

But mommy I'm too little to work; I can't drive; I don't know how to take the bus; you wouldn't want me to get lost - whine, whine, whine.

Too bad they closed the rock quarry where I live.
Green Witch

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 03:18 pm
@Linkat,
I'll pay them a penny a piece for picking dandelions.

I'm sorry you're going through this, Linkat. It's the sort of thing that drove me out of the corporate offices to a life of digging holes and pushing wheelbarrows full of manure around. I think you need to chant "this too will pass..." and it will, just not yet.
Linkat

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 03:20 pm
@Green Witch,
Yeah - I've been thinking of leaving the corporate world, but alas others need healthcare, food, clothing, shelter, etc. or they start whining especially my husband.
Green Witch

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 03:22 pm
@Linkat,
You really can't leave the benefits when you have kids. What does your husband want to be when he grows up?
DrewDad

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 03:23 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

You really can't leave the benefits when you have kids. What does your husband want to be when he grows up?

OK, that's a little out of line. Being out of work doesn't make one a child. How would you feel if I talked about stay-at-home moms that way?
Linkat

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 03:24 pm
@Green Witch,
Ironically he is a recruiter. He was recruiting, but the company he was recruiting for decided they would only pay him commission so he was pretty much working for free - he decided to look elsewhere and is in the job search process now - he has had a second interview, but did not hear back.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 03:24 pm
@DrewDad,
Oh, he's a child for other reasons - not because he isn't working.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 03:38 pm
@DrewDad,
I didn't mean it that way DD. I'm a big fan of stay-at-home parents, mommies or daddies. I know Mr. Linkat tried to make a go of his own business for awhile and I was wondering what direction he was now pointed in. I also noticed in a number of Linkat's posts that she often lumps her husband into the Big Kid category.
Chumly

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 05:56 pm
@DrewDad,
My mom did, else we would have had to give up the house.............in any case the facts of the matter remain that the people most lilky to cause you harm are the ones closest to you such as family members...........strangers are actually statistically safer.

Drew Daddy, you are not thinking but simply responding to your defensive pack instinct!
Chumly

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 06:12 pm
@Linkat,
To wait until the real estate market improves is simply not logical. On a percentile basis, you will gain far more in this down market by "buying up" now.

You get your husband to work one day a week by saying......"get a job and help out your family!

As to kids working, I had summer jobs such as gardening and winter jobs such as babysitting from my early teens, I have been on set watching babies in toilet-paper commercials making good money! So yes kids can earn money!

I do not know what you mean by "We have a low mortgage (it is in the low 5s)" however if you are trying to say that your mortgage rate is 5%, then that is way too high and a variable rate will be vastly better.............if you have locked long, you are paying too much.

To make excuses for not taking appropriate action is not going to improve your circumstances! It's only going to allow you to falsely rationalize your inactions.

Again........the bottom line is that reducing overall financial stress, will make work related stress easier to handle!
DrewDad

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 08:57 pm
@Chumly,
Strangers who would choose to live in a family's home would be a self-selected group, and not subject to statistical analysis.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 09:07 pm
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:

To wait until the real estate market improves is simply not logical. On a percentile basis, you will gain far more in this down market by "buying up" now.

There are a couple of things wrong with this. The main one being that she doesn't think her condo would sell right now. Do you know the real estate market in her location better than she does? Do you know her finances better than she does?

Chumly wrote:
You get your husband to work one day a week by saying......"get a job and help out your family!

Gee. I'm sure they've had no discussions whatsoever about his job prospects.

Chumly wrote:
As to kids working, I had summer jobs such as gardening and winter jobs such as babysitting from my early teens, I have been on set watching babies in toilet-paper commercials making good money! So yes kids can earn money!

Do you know where they film toilet-paper commercials? Or how to get a kid such a gig? Do you know the ages and capabilities of her children?

Chumly wrote:
I do not know what you mean by "We have a low mortgage (it is in the low 5s)" however if you are trying to say that your mortgage rate is 5%, then that is way too high and a variable rate will be vastly better.............if you have locked long, you are paying too much.

Variable rate mortgages are a gamble. Even if such a gamble would be paying off in the current economic climate, your advice comes too late. Thank you, Cassandra.

Chumly wrote:
To make excuses for not taking appropriate action is not going to improve your circumstances! It's only going to allow you to falsely rationalize your inactions.

Again........the bottom line is that reducing overall financial stress, will make work related stress easier to handle!

Listening to an ass like you isn't likely to improve her circumstances either, Einstein.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 09:14 pm
@DrewDad,
Chum apparently hasn't read the thread or have any sense of the thread author's smarts.
A petunia telling a rose how to bloom.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2009 10:32 am
@Green Witch,
And being a big kid ain't all bad.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2009 10:33 am
@Chumly,
True - but with my husband not working and the fact we already had our condo on the market for over a year indicates that now isn't right for us. We cannot buy something without selling our current condo.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2009 10:36 am
@Chumly,
As far as telling him to go out and get a job -He is actively seeking employment - it ain't that he is sitting on his a$$. He has a phone interview today too. Honestly he is the type that can't sit still and wants to work. There is no pushing from me necessary and to do so would be cruel as he has already stated to me how bad he feels not contributing to the family. I tell her how much he helps me through tranporting the kids to school and other activities, laundry and all the extra stuff he is doing around the house to make it easier for me.

0 Replies