Our Toughest President...Here's The Proof

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 08:43 am
@A Lone Voice,
Quote:

I know his admin is preparing to gut our military; it seems to be the thing to do when libs get in the White House.

Funny, he's 'gutting' the military by increasing the budget by 4% next year.

Cycloptichorn
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 08:52 am
@MontereyJack,

MJackoff, you're a TROLL!
0 Replies

A Lone Voice

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 10:58 am
Let's see. He's cutting major weapons systems, missle defense systems based in Alaska (while doing nothing about Iran and Korea) and increasing the training of foreign militaries.

Special OP forces will also increase. Good news for SEALS.

China? Why worry? Sure, they are greatly expanding their military, have hacked into our grid infrastructure, and take the long view of global issues.

Obama, like Jimmy Carter and Clinton, seems to be taking the short view.

Let's create $9.1 trillion in debt for entitlement programs, but cut weapon systems that keep us ahead of China and protect us from stray missles from Iran and Korea.

I sure hope we survive these morons...

Quote:

Pentagon Pushes Weapon Cuts

By AUGUST COLE and YOCHI J. DREAZEN
WASHINGTON -- Defense Secretary Robert Gates on Monday unveiled a sweeping overhaul of weapons priorities to reorient the U.S. military toward winning such unconventional conflicts as the war in Afghanistan rather than fighting China, Russia or other major powers.

With thousands of jobs at stake, political battles over the proposal are likely to be intense. The defense secretary is seeking a wide range of cuts, affecting pet programs at almost every major U.S. contractor, as well as several high-profile contracts with European companies.

Mr. Gates's proposed baseline 2010 Defense Department budget of $534 billion is up 4% from last year. But it signals a major departure from business as usual at the Pentagon, with a heavy emphasis on overhauling a procurement process that he and congressional leaders have decried as being too heavily influenced by powerful contractors.

The new budget halts new orders of F-22 fighter jets and allocates billions of dollars in new funding for such low-tech weapons as the unmanned drones being used to hunt insurgents in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan.

The Pentagon chief said his plan represents "one of those rare chances to match virtue to necessity; to critically and ruthlessly separate appetites from real requirements," and that politics played no role in his analysis. "There's no doubt a lot of these decisions will be controversial," he said, adding that he hoped lawmakers would rise above "parochial interests."

Defense Overhaul Draws Wide Rebuke
Mr. Gates's proposed shake-up is expected to stoke debate about the importance of weapons-manufacturing jobs and appears to mark a turning point for an industry that enjoyed record business during the Bush administration.

Mr. Gates said Monday he planned to halt new purchases of the F-22 Raptor fighter jet from Lockheed Martin Corp. after delivery of 187 of the aircraft already ordered. He also said there would be no more orders for Boeing Co. C-17 transport planes beyond the 205 planned.

Both companies said his decision would prompt thousands of layoffs, handing congressional opponents a potentially potent political weapon. Mr. Gates tried to pre-empt criticism, saying Monday that any job losses would largely be offset by new positions to be created by companies receiving additional Pentagon money in coming years.

The Army's $200 billion Future Combat Systems program, led by Boeing and SAIC Inc., would be trimmed through a call to cancel an $87 billion high-tech ground-vehicle effort. Mr. Gates said plans for the program "do not adequately reflect the lessons of counterinsurgency and close quarters combat in Iraq and Afghanistan."

Other cancellations included an advanced satellite communications program, and the replacement of Air Force search-and-rescue helicopters. Shipbuilding is also getting trimmed, with the Navy holding off on a futuristic cruiser program. An older destroyer design will go back into production.

The International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers denounced the decision to discontinue the F-22 jet as unwise. "We simply cannot afford to cannibalize our national defense to repair damage caused by reckless financial institutions and greed-crazed corporate executives," union president Tom Buffenbarger said in a statement.

Contractors, including Boeing and Lockheed, said they were still studying Mr. Gates's decisions.

Defense stocks rallied after the budget announcement, ending a drawn-out period of uncertainty. Lockheed shares rose $5.97, or 8.9%, to $73.28; Northrop Grumman Corp. gained $3.96, or 9%, to $47.94; Boeing was up 47 cents, or 1.3%, at $38.16; General Dynamics Corp. rose $2.90, or 6.8%, to $45.56; Raytheon Co. was up $3.19, or 8.3%, at $41.66.

One big test for the defense plan will be winning over key Democratic lawmakers. Pennsylvania Rep. John Murtha, chairman of the House Appropriations Defense Subcommittee, said the plans were an important "first step in balancing the Department's wants with our nation's needs," but would require careful review.

Missouri Democratic Rep. Ike Skelton, chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, said the proposed budget was a "good faith effort," but that "the buck stops with Congress."

Connecticut Sen. Joe Lieberman and Oklahoma Sen. Jim Inhofe urged in a letter "not to allow deep cuts in U.S. missile defense programs that are critically important to protecting our homeland and our allies against the growing threat of ballistic missiles." The Missile Defense Agency budget is being cut by $1.4 billion.

Mr. Gates's plans have clear international implications. His decision to increase spending on the F-35, which involves European nations and defense companies, from $6.8 billion in 2009 to $11.2 billion in 2010 secures the program's future and will help keep costs in check for such allies as the U.K. and the Netherlands.

Mr. Gates also said he intended to cancel the Lockheed-led effort to build a new fleet of Marine One helicopters for the president.

Finmeccanica's AgustaWestland is a partner on that program, which had called for heavily modifying a US101 helicopter into a flying limousine. Mr. Gates said he decided to cancel the program because costs doubled to more than $13 billion and the schedule slipped to six years overdue. Finmeccanica said in a statement that the move would have no impact on the company's financial guidance and is in no way related to the technical characteristics of the helicopter."

Beyond military hardware, Mr. Gates said the Pentagon plans a 5% increase in the number of special operations forces, or 2,800 people. He called for plans to recruit more cyber-warfare experts, and to add Army helicopter pilots and maintenance crews, in a move that will help support operations in Afghanistan.

Mr. Gates also plans to hire more than 30,000 new civilian officials over the next five years, gradually reducing the number of contractors to 26% of the Pentagon work force, down from a current 39%.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123903026250593091.html
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 11:04 am
@A Lone Voice,
Stray missiles from Iran? Threatening the US? Wherever did you get such an idea?

Yes, there are weapons programs being cut. Boo hoo. The defense budget has bloated itself into a massive cow that needs to be trimmed. Nothing wrong with that.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 11:11 am
@A Lone Voice,
A Lone Voice wrote:
Let's create $9.1 trillion in debt for entitlement programs, but cut weapon systems that keep us ahead of China and protect us from stray missles from Iran and Korea.

I sure hope we survive these morons...

You do realize that the missile systems that N. Korea and Iran have are far from being serious military threats, right?

I would suggest that if you see a moron, you might be looking in a mirror.

And China is far more of an economic threat than a military one.
A Lone Voice

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 12:04 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:

You do realize that the missile systems that N. Korea and Iran have are far from being serious military threats, right?

Korea is sure improving their missle capability with every launch, aren't they? Iran, as the Obama admin continues to waffle and allow their capability to expand, might very well catch up in a few years, especially with the way they are purchasing Russian technology.

But then again, other governments are taking a long view. Obama, like most leftists, can only take a short view when it comes to the military and rarely thinks of the unintended consequences of their actions.

BTW, why the personal attacks, DD? Are you really that threatened by diverse ideas? Have you bought into the Obama cult to the extent you are personalizing attacks against his admin?

If China is only an economic threat, why are they rapidly increasing their military?

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 12:06 pm
@A Lone Voice,
A Lone Voice wrote:

Quote:

Korea is sure improving their missle capability with every launch, aren't they? Iran, as the Obama admin continues to waffle and allow their capability to expand, might very well catch up in a few years, especially with the way they are purchasing Russian technology.

Right now, N. Korea is where we were 50-60 years ago with missile technology, if that. They are not going to 'catch up' any time soon.

Quote:
If China is only an economic threat, why are they rapidly increasing their military?

They may be a much greater threat to other Asian nations, but not to us. How exactly do you think they are going to transport that military over here to get at us? We own the ocean and the skies and that isn't going to change based on Obama's budget cuts, not in the slightest.

Cycloptichorn
DrewDad

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 12:24 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
They may be a much greater threat to other Asian nations, but not to us. How exactly do you think they are going to transport that military over here to get at us? We own the ocean and the skies and that isn't going to change based on Obama's budget cuts, not in the slightest.

I'd suggest that that the Russian Federation is much more strategically threatened than the U.S.
0 Replies

A Lone Voice

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 12:36 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:

Right now, N. Korea is where we were 50-60 years ago with missile technology, if that. They are not going to 'catch up' any time soon.

Aren't you assuming they are starting from scratch? With technology theft, possible assistance from other countries, (such as that nuclear scientist from Pakistan who provided help to some countries) and other means, most experts don't believe it will take them 50 to 60 years.

And with NK throwing the UN out again, who knows what they are up to?

Quote:

I guess the question is, how long will we own the skies? China is rapidly building their air force and navy, and they of course already have a huge standing army.

What keeps us ahead is our technology. The advantage of having better fighters, ships, etc. Yet this is what Obama is cutting.

How long will we keep this advantage? Again, take the long view.

China invade us? Not as long as we have nukes, right? Just as we wouldn't invade their country. MAD and all.

Unless they are working on a missle shield...

As our military has stated, future wars might very well be fought over declining resources. One thing I like about Obama and this congress is their push for alternative energy. Will we get there in time, though?

China won't be a threat, as long as the US remains strong. It's the way of the world...
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 12:49 pm
@A Lone Voice,
Quote:

Aren't you assuming they are starting from scratch? With technology theft, possible assistance from other countries, (such as that nuclear scientist from Pakistan who provided help to some countries) and other means, most experts don't believe it will take them 50 to 60 years.

And with NK throwing the UN out again, who knows what they are up to?

First, I didn't say it would take them 50-60 years; just 'no time soon.' Which is true. Even with help, it takes advanced production facilities to create and shoot reliable missiles. Please recall that this last 'test' of theirs ended in failure.

Quote:

I guess the question is, how long will we own the skies? China is rapidly building their air force and navy, and they of course already have a huge standing army.

How long? As long as we want. Our current fighters are unmatched in any capacity by Chinese fighters. We can kill them before they even see us on the radar. It is unthinkable that they could match our level of air superiority within the next decade or two, whether we keep building more F-22's or not.

Quote:

China invade us? Not as long as we have nukes, right? Just as we wouldn't invade their country. MAD and all.

Oh, it's not the nukes - it is the enormity of their supply lines combined with the superiority of our navy and air force. I don't think you've put much thought into what a titanically difficult problem it would be for China to attempt to invade America. I think we could hold them off with technology from three decades ago, let alone our modern forces.

I agree that one cannot stand still when it comes to military technology; but we are not stopping our research on new military technology in toto, just cutting some programs. Which there's nothing wrong with.

I would challenge you to provide a viable plan for Chinese aggression towards us, that you couldn't poke 50 holes in immediately. I haven't seen anyone present such a plan. That being the case, I assert your fears are without merit and Obama's cuts to certain weapon systems will have effectively zero effect on our ability to defend our country from Asian aggression.

Cycloptichorn
A Lone Voice

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 01:29 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:

First, I didn't say it would take them 50-60 years; just 'no time soon.' Which is true. Even with help, it takes advanced production facilities to create and shoot reliable missiles. Please recall that this last 'test' of theirs ended in failure.

In your opinion, or one you can cite, what is 'no time soon'? Five years? Ten? Three?

Should we prepare? Ignore NK? Take the long view, as they seem to be doing?

Quote:

How long? As long as we want. Our current fighters are unmatched in any capacity by Chinese fighters. We can kill them before they even see us on the radar. It is unthinkable that they could match our level of air superiority within the next decade or two, whether we keep building more F-22's or not.

Why is it unthinkable they might match us in a few short years?

If you recall, they couldn't match the silence of our subs (until the Clinton admin allowed the transfer of this technology to China). Now, we don't have near the advantage we had a few short years ago.

Is it safe to assume China is standing still? How many years cushion are you willing to gamble with?

Re supply lines, invading home countries, etc; I don't believe this is a worry, and not really a threat.

But you didn't mention the military concerns of a war over limited resources I raised. This is a much greater threat than actual invasion...

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 01:36 pm
@A Lone Voice,
If we get our act together on renewable energy generation, they can have all the resources they like; we won't need to fight over them. We're more likely to get into a fight over fresh water than anything else.

Quote:

Why is it unthinkable they might match us in a few short years?

I think you heavily underestimate how far ahead we are.

Quote:

Is it safe to assume China is standing still? How many years cushion are you willing to gamble with?

Many years. See, we are not standing still either; I don't know why you presume we are. Just b/c some programs got axed, doesn't mean that others aren't moving forward. I know for a fact that many advanced weapons systems are still being researched and produced...

I find this alarmism about a 4% increase in the budget to be an uncompelling argument, to put it simply. There is a lot of fearmongering about the 'red scare' of China but precious little data showing they are actually a threat.

Cycloptichorn
DrewDad

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 01:42 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
If we get our act together on renewable energy generation, they can have all the resources they like; we won't need to fight over them. We're more likely to get into a fight over fresh water than anything else.

Cheap energy will eliminate that scarce resource, as well. Perhaps more quickly than other scarce resources.

I imagine that the biggest strategic concern that we have is not China or Iran or N. Korea or Russia, but China and Iran and N. Korea and Russia. But I think the ideological goals of those players are just too disparate to present a credible threat.
0 Replies

A Lone Voice

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 02:47 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:

I agree with this, to a point. Have you read much of James Kunstler? His view is that we will be hard pressed to replace fossil fuels to the point of keeping our society functioning. 'The Long Emergency' anticpates conflict in the Middle East over a declining oil supply.

Quote:

Many years. See, we are not standing still either; I don't know why you presume we are. Just b/c some programs got axed, doesn't mean that others aren't moving forward. I know for a fact that many advanced weapons systems are still being researched and produced...

I find this alarmism about a 4% increase in the budget to be an uncompelling argument, to put it simply. There is a lot of fearmongering about the 'red scare' of China but precious little data showing they are actually a threat.

I could post a hundred links talking about the threat from China. Here's one from the Naval Institute:

Quote:

Report: Chinese Develop Special "Kill Weapon" to Destroy U.S. Aircraft Carriers

Advanced missile poses substantial new threat for U.S. Navy

U. S. Naval Institute
March 31, 2009

With tensions already rising due to the Chinese navy becoming more aggressive in asserting its territorial claims in the South China Sea, the U.S. Navy seems to have yet another reason to be deeply concerned.

After years of conjecture, details have begun to emerge of a "kill weapon" developed by the Chinese to target and destroy U.S. aircraft carriers.

First posted on a Chinese blog viewed as credible by military analysts and then translated by the naval affairs blog Information Dissemination, a recent report provides a description of an anti-ship ballistic missile (ASBM) that can strike carriers and other U.S. vessels at a range of 2000km.

The range of the modified Dong Feng 21 missile is significant in that it covers the areas that are likely hot zones for future confrontations between U.S. and Chinese surface forces.

The size of the missile enables it to carry a warhead big enough to inflict significant damage on a large vessel, providing the Chinese the capability of destroying a U.S. supercarrier in one strike.

Because the missile employs a complex guidance system, low radar signature and a maneuverability that makes its flight path unpredictable, the odds that it can evade tracking systems to reach its target are increased. It is estimated that the missile can travel at mach 10 and reach its maximum range of 2000km in less than 12 minutes.

Supporting the missile is a network of satellites, radar and unmanned aerial vehicles that can locate U.S. ships and then guide the weapon, enabling it to hit moving targets.

While the ASBM has been a topic of discussion within national defense circles for quite some time, the fact that information is now coming from Chinese sources indicates that the weapon system is operational. The Chinese rarely mention weapons projects unless they are well beyond the test stages.

If operational as is believed, the system marks the first time a ballistic missile has been successfully developed to attack vessels at sea. Ships currently have no defense against a ballistic missile attack.

Along with the Chinese naval build-up, U.S. Navy officials appear to view the development of the anti-ship ballistic missile as a tangible threat.

After spending the last decade placing an emphasis on building a fleet that could operate in shallow waters near coastlines, the U.S. Navy seems to have quickly changed its strategy over the past several months to focus on improving the capabilities of its deep sea fleet and developing anti-ballistic defenses.

As analyst Raymond Pritchett notes in a post on the U.S. Naval Institute blog:

"The Navy's reaction is telling, because it essentially equals a radical change in direction based on information that has created a panic inside the bubble. For a major military service to panic due to a new weapon system, clearly a mission kill weapon system, either suggests the threat is legitimate or the leadership of the Navy is legitimately unqualified. There really aren't many gray spaces in evaluating the reaction by the Navy…the data tends to support the legitimacy of the threat."

In recent years, China has been expanding its navy to presumably better exert itself in disputed maritime regions. A recent show of strength in early March led to a confrontation with an unarmed U.S. ship in international waters.

https://www.usni.org/forthemedia/ChineseKillWeapon.asp

Obama is gutting the F-22 fighter program and the Navy continues to shrink from its goal of 313 ships that was set a few years ago with these cuts.

Quote:

And how long did it take do get the F-22 up and running? These systems take an inordinate amount of time.

Bush and Rumsfield were idiots for the way they fought the war in Iraq. And Obama, like those morons, is also being shortsighted here.

And this is just Year One of an Obama admin. This is what is most frightening of all...
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 02:54 pm
@A Lone Voice,
Quote:

And how long did it take do get the F-22 up and running? These systems take an inordinate amount of time.

Bush and Rumsfield were idiots for the way they fought the war in Iraq. And Obama, like those morons, is also being shortsighted here.

And this is just Year One of an Obama admin. This is what is most frightening of all...

The replacement for the F22? Still being funded and researched. We have 180-something F22s as it is and none of them can be touched by any other intercept fighter on the planet. The program doesn't need any more money and we don't need any more interceptors right now.

If the Obama admin were really smart, they'd be spending their money in space research. Own the sky, own the ground...

As for the resource thing; those who claim we will be wedded to fossil fuels lack both imagination and the ability to read a graph of the nature of scientific development, in it's exponential glory.

Cycloptichorn
A Lone Voice

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 03:28 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:

The replacement for the F22? Still being funded and researched. We have 180-something F22s as it is and none of them can be touched by any other intercept fighter on the planet. The program doesn't need any more money and we don't need any more interceptors right now.

If the Obama admin were really smart, they'd be spending their money in space research. Own the sky, own the ground...

As for the resource thing; those who claim we will be wedded to fossil fuels lack both imagination and the ability to read a graph of the nature of scientific development, in it's exponential glory.

187 F-22s. Over 660 F-15s, which are becoming difficult to keep active to due age related issues.

I agree about space research, btw. What China did with that weather satellite is frightening, wouldn't you agree?

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 08:23 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Funny math they teach in Berkley:

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/20090420/obama-100-million-federal-budget.htm
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 08:32 pm
Whether or not th F-22 or any other weapon system has a a snowball's chance of making us more secure (And I will argue vociferously that they do), why, for the purposes of economic stimulus, should we not fund them?

State senators and representatives are bitching loud and strong about these cuts because, primarily, of their economic input.

So are we to believe that economic stimulus dollars devoted to enhancing the Smithstonian and favoring promotion of condoms is a better spend than improving our defense systems?

If, to revive our economy, we have to vomit billions of taxpayers dollars, doesn't it make more sense to spend this cash on things that even might have a benefit to our security, rather than upscaling a ******* exhibit hall?

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 08:42 pm
"Our Toughest President!"

Yeah, as respects Somali pirates.

However, this is not a puff president. He can and will be tough.

Unfortunately he will and can be tough with us, as opposed to our foreign enemies.

He's no McCarthy, McGovern, Carter, Mondale, liberal, he's a might strong leftist.

He has no problem with Chavez.

He's happy to follow the Chavez model:

Play the have-not against the haves:

The latter may have the dough, but the former has the votes.

He will, mark my words, be trying to establish a "permanent" majority of have-nots who will declare him the Liberator, the Savior; the Expected One, funded, for as long as possible, by the haves.

When, after 8 years, Obama seeks a contitutional amendment to expand his possible term, we will think of Chavez (if we are not intoxicated by Barrack).

farmerman

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 05:21 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
deja vous.
Most all of this was said about Bush, especially the part about his seeking to dispose of term limits for the presidency. Does anyone remember?

Course Bush never had the ability in any kind of one on one with foreign leders that Obama seems to exude. Time will tell.