What Do You Think Of Humans?

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2009 03:57 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Quote:
Hi David! We're on at the same time! We're having a conversation! Hurray! I'm grinning like an idiot
(hey, maybe I'm one of the 95% idiotic population) - but you must be TIRED! It's 3:00 in the morning in NY....

Hi, Rebecca!
Sometimes, I fall into an alternate state of awareness,
while at my computer.

Quote:

You know - I've had to think long and hard about my purpose with this restaurant. I did feel that I was doing something a little more worthwhile with my life and time teaching and I did love it. But I've come to view this as worthwhile and in some ways much easier and less pressure filled so it's easier to learn about and enjoy the people because there's no other agenda.
I'm not responsible for helping them overcome learning disabilities and learn how to read. I'm not responsible for helping them overcome low self-esteem and past failures, etc., etc.
All I'm responsible for is helping them have a good meal and a good time - and that's something I enjoy doing too.

Blessed Freedom ?

Quote:

As the summer comes - I can sit outside with them and enjoy the sunshine
and learn about their lives and drink a glass of wine with them. I've decided just to go with it and enjoy this part of my life right now - and sure- I'll return to teaching someday. But this job has helped me really see the good and happy side of most people and realize how much I like them.
And that's been good for me.

U shoud CELEBRATE! Does your family help u ?

R u having Beef Wellington there ?

Quote:

You should see some of the faces I see. I'm taking my camera to work starting Monday
and doing some portraits and then you can see what I see.

*I just realized today IS Monday - it's my only day off - so it still feels like Sunday.
I'm taking my camera to work tomorrow - Tuesday...

That sounds like FUN.
Maybe u 'll stir up some business from the denizens of A2K.

David
aidan

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2009 04:26 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Yes, it does feel sort of like blessed freedom ( from responsibility in some ways )- I even feel freer there than I do at home sometimes where I have all my chores and responsibilities. There I can sort of just hang out and be creative- I just have to make sure I keep it clean and don't give anyone food poisoning. And that's not hard for me - I enjoy cleaning. Laughing

Yes - my daughter has become an excellent waitress and as a very creative sort, is in charge of presenting the desserts attractively.
My son, someone who's bright and athletic but in whom I had never seen signs of having a creative bone in his body- is an EXCELLENT and artistic chef. He creates works of art and wonderful soups- from scratch- no recipe - all instinct. It's been lovely to see this and learn more about him- I thought I knew it all.

Anyone's welcome to visit of course. I haven't seemed to have inspired very many lasting friendships among the British a2k brigade.
Oh well - can't be everything to everyone I guess.

Nice talking to you David.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2009 04:50 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Quote:
Yes, it does feel sort of like blessed freedom ( from responsibility in some ways )- I even feel freer there than I do at home sometimes where I have all my chores and responsibilities. There I can sort of just hang out and be creative- I just have to make sure I keep it clean and don't give anyone food poisoning. And that's not hard for me - I enjoy cleaning. Laughing

Yes - my daughter has become an excellent waitress and as a very creative sort, is in charge of presenting the desserts attractively.
My son, someone who's bright and athletic but in whom I had never seen signs of having a creative bone in his body- is an EXCELLENT and artistic chef. He creates works of art and wonderful soups- from scratch- no recipe - all instinct.
It's been lovely to see this and learn more about him- I thought I knew it all.

U NEVER KNOW!

Quote:
Anyone's welcome to visit of course.
I haven't seemed to have inspired very many lasting friendships among the British a2k brigade.
Oh well - can't be everything to everyone I guess.

Nice talking to you David.

LIKEWISE, REBECCA!
CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR GOOD FORTUNE!
DAVID
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2009 06:47 am
@candide,
candide wrote:

Good and safe rule. I have often thought about the actual percentage, is it actually 70%, 80%, or 95%.

It's got to be lower then 95% if you think about it.

I would place it more around 50%

Although I wouldn't use the term stupid. More like uncapable (is that a word?), lazy or manipulative.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2009 07:19 am
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:
Sure, the question the becomes (in fact it arguably was the main question all along) by what measure do we decide what is or is not human, and further by what authority is present day man the arbiter of what is or is not human?

I agree again. Although this does assume that we will survive long enough to "bridge the gap" in the process of artificial evolution which we have begun. But I think we will (just my opinion, I have no crystal ball).

Humans have short memories when it comes to our perception of the world. We remember history, but we don't feel part of it. Each generation "feels" itself to be the starting point of everything, and the very definition of "what is normal". We place artificial and somewhat arbitrary definitions onto particular classes of humans (Homo Habilis, Homo Erectus, Neanderthal...) even though the dividing lines between these classes are blurred by centuries of transition and cross breeding.

At present, we define what is "human" by a broad swath of genetic code which matches that of the present generation. At some point in the future I think we will need recognize that the question of "humanity" will not be so easily defined by genetics alone and will have to incorporate some recognition of self-awareness. I wish I could live long enough to see it, but I suspect that even at our present rate of exponential advancement, it's still several hundred to a thousand years away (a mere blip in normal evolutionary and geologic timescales).
Chumly

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2009 10:14 pm
@rosborne979,
Word up!
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2009 06:04 am
Humans?... I like 'em a lot.

But you gotta cook em slow, or they are too tough to chew.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2009 06:47 am
@OGIONIK,
OGIONIK wrote:

i "think". im definitely in the 5%.

O.o

That 5% could probably quit smoking without a problem. Most likely, they didn't smoke to begin with knowing the dangers associated with it. They don't take drugs either.
0 Replies

hamilton

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 06:25 pm
i think that we suck!!!
0 Replies

agreen325i

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 03:16 pm
i think humanity is cruel.
0 Replies