What Do You Think Of Humans?

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2009 11:15 am
I think as a species we're a failure... and are nearing the same fate as the dinosaurs...near being a relative term
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 13 • Views: 4,941 • Replies: 49
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2009 11:30 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Being a hopeful sort, I'd like to give humans on Earth about 100 more years. However, the increasing rate of losses in terms of lost ground with our environmental health is beyond alarming. I pray we're not beyond the point-of-no-return, but mounting evidence seems to indicate otherwise.

So, I think the human race are/is an abject failure having all the potential to make it a paradise but turning into a sewer with greed, selfishness and neglect.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2009 11:53 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
I think as a species we ran into problems when we developed such an amount of compassion that we ignored survival of the fittest as far as intellect.

As our brain developed, we could afford to have members who were not as fit physically. Hell, I was blessed with poor eyesight, and if glasses, contacts, corrective surgury hadn't been invented through our intelligence, I'd have been dead long ago, crossing the street or walking off the edge of something.

Not to say you must have intelligence above a certain level, but everyone should have something to offer. Some people have more brains, others have more brawn, some have both.

Now we have lots of people that, in the darwinian sense, are useless both physically and mentally.

But they are tolerated, and are given the excuse of "they made poor choices", or "they haven't been educated about that" i.e. getting pregnant when it was unwanted.

I really get tired of that "made poor choices" ****. Some people **** up, knowing they can use that excuse, and there is some sort of safety net they can fall into.

I say take away the safety net for a while, and let's see how fast more people start to make excellent choices.

What do I think of humans? I think humans tolerate far too much poor performance. Not to say everyone needs to be an alpha plus. I mean in that people who are a delta minus are given the tasks suitable to a gamma plus, and everyone has to live with, and come to expect, and accept, the meager results. I think many humans will take sloppy shortcuts if they think no one is looking, and that is bringing us down as a whole.

Hey, I'm no alpha, but but don't try to pretend I'm capable of, or deserving of that work. I am the absolute best epsilon minus I can be.
aidan

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2009 12:08 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Quote:
What Do You Think Of Humans

I like them. I was thinking just the other day that they're the only thing that make life worth living.
ebrown p

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2009 12:09 pm
Most of the humans I have met have seemed pretty decent.

Spiders I don't like so much.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2009 12:32 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
I think humans tolerate far too much poor performance.

Not only tolerate, Chai2, but we actually reward people for poor performances and some even go so far as to put these slackards on pedestals. Witness, GWB, Reagan, ...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2009 01:13 pm
We also reward super-power performances no matter how corrupt.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2009 01:22 pm
Humans are simply part of the trend toward artificial intelligence and cybernetics. In and of themselves, humans are no more / no less than a stepping stone.
fresco

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2009 01:50 pm
@Chumly,
Chumly,

I presume that reply is a bait dangling operation ! Laughing
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2009 02:19 pm
We shouldn't judge the entire species because of the shallow and thoughtless actions of a few. There are several nice humans out there. You just have to know where to look.
chai2

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2009 02:42 pm
@NickFun,
Well of course there are "nice" humans out there nick.

No one said there wasn't.

There are a lot of nice humans who can't hold a job for more than a few months at a time, and not because of situations beyond their control. We keep hiring them, with the knowledge they never stayed at a job for any length, and they weren't much good while they were there.

We hire them, then are disappointed when they decide not to come in, because they didn't feel like it.

There are a lot of nice humans that cost others a lot of time, energy, quality and money, because they are so nice, we can't tell them to shape up. We can't be hurting other people feelings by telling them for the umpteenth time they need to at least show up on time.....or at least show up.

Before I get jumped on, these are not the people who have legitimate problems, and who work around them, but sometimes fail. In fact these people are every single one of the human race.

Over compassion has prompted those who would have been gleaned out to enjoy the privilege of making bad choices throughout their entire lives.

The human quality of compassion is a wonderful thing. But it has become overdeveloped in us to the point where it is unacceptable to be dispassionate.

I don't know who said it first, but nice is overrated.

Nice not only allows some people to continue to not be accountable for their actions, and being nice keeps those being shortchanged by these people from saying anything.
ebrown p

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2009 03:43 pm
@chai2,
Chai,

I don't at all understand your point. What is wrong with compassion?

If I understood your point, I would most likely point out that you don't seem to have a very good understanding of evolution. In an earlier post, you seem to say that people getting pregnant was an example of the "failure" of darwinism (when, of course reproduction is in fact a key point of darwinism).

Of course.... compassion is beneficial for us evolutionarily. If it weren't, we wouldn't have it. The fact that we take care of each other doesn't only make life pleasant... it also allowed our species to flourish, developing from a small band of primates to a species that is second only to insects as far as our scope and impact on the earth.

The benefits of compassion are clear. We care for each other. Work together to cure disease and develop technology to better our lives and make us more productive. And when we compete with other species for resources, the fact that we work together has ensured that we always prevail.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2009 04:08 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

The human quality of compassion is a wonderful thing. But it has become overdeveloped in us to the point where it is unacceptable to be dispassionate.

Perhaps you'd like to read the above ebrown.

It also might help if you read the words both before and after the post you referenced about becoming pregnant without wanting to.

There is my compassion. I have given you a chance.

But I'm not going to keep spoon feeding parts of my posts back to you. So, take the compassionate chance I gave to to carefully reread what I wrote. If you then still don't understand it, deal with it.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2009 04:33 pm
a lack of adversity in life makes men weak in mind and body. Thanks to technology and science the human race is a sorry sight today. But the storm is coming, this problem will be solved. If enough people survive and we don't toxify the earth with radiation we will rebuild.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2009 05:51 pm
@chai2,
<ebrown sobs>
If... your ... going... to ... be ... so... mean.... how.... can .... I ... procreate ..... like ... this ...
chai2

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2009 06:00 pm
@ebrown p,
hopefully you won't.

then we'll have less people that can't keep up, slowing the rest of us down.
rosborne979

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2009 06:04 pm
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:

Humans are simply part of the trend toward artificial intelligence and cybernetics. In and of themselves, humans are no more / no less than a stepping stone.

I think Chumly's right. Humanity will survive, but in what form, I'm not sure.
ebrown p

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2009 06:13 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
then we'll have less people that can't keep up, slowing the rest of us down.

That would be fewer people who can't keep up...
JTT

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2009 06:40 pm
@ebrown p,
Quote:
Chai2 wrote: then we'll have less people that can't keep up, slowing the rest of us down.

Quote:
ebrown p: That would be fewer people who can't keep up...
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2009 08:20 pm
As well documented in the tv shows Lassie and Rin Tin Tin, humans are dogs best friend. It was probably also documented in many an episode of Frasier.
0 Replies