Baseball Playoffs Start Today!

jespah

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 06:39 am
Well, in these playoffs I think we've seen everything except maybe locusts on the field. Tonight should be interesting, to say the least.

I would love to find the dolts in the Chicago-area media who oh so helpfully published the name and town of the poor sap who reached for that ball. Of course the guy's phone is now disconnected. I wonder if he's considering a radical makeover and the witness protection program.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 07:01 am
Was he the guy that the cameras keep going back to in the last innings of last nights game after every critical play?

I thought that Alou summed it up beautifully, "I'm truly sorry for the fan..."
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 07:57 am
The fan went BACK to the game? That doesn't seem possible.

I have a friend who looks a lot like that guy, and I'm actually worried about him.

Crazy crazy stuff. Sad
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 08:33 am
I think all will come out in the wash, but, there are some true crazies out there :sad:
0 Replies

angie

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 09:18 am
Roberta,

You wrote: "May the best team win." The Yanks and the Sox are so evenly matched, I don't think there is a "better team". There will probably be one or two quirk plays that could make the difference. Of course, that assumes that both Roger and Pedro bring their best stuff, which may not happen. Either way, this has been an incredible season and an incredible series.

I hope you read what I said about a level playing field. That really is the difference. There are people who say football has surpassed baseball as our national pastime. I'm not sure about that, but if it is true, it's because of the inability to compete for all but a select few cities. IF MLB institutes a cap and revenue sharing, IMO, baseball will always generate more interest and support than football or any other sport.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 09:48 am
angie, for pure viewing pleasure - I prefer basketball, I can't just sit and watch baseball anymore; goes to slow. And, football is too much commercials, reviewing plays and in the huddle...........

Doesn't mean I don't care though!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 10:29 am
Re the poor guy who interfered with the foul ball at Wrigley in Game 6: Of course, it's not really his fault that the Cubs lost that series. But I strongly suspect that it will be remembered as being his fault because it's human nature to single out one event to sum up a complicated situation.

Take the infamous error by Bill Buckner in the '86 World Series. He will always be remembered for that, but there were other mistakes by the Sox that cost them that game. As I recall, Schiraldi, the relief pitcher, was awful when he came in to protect the lead.

Anyhow, getting back to the Cubs fan, I don't buy his explanation: All he thought about was the ball coming toward him. Really? In a key game, sitting in the front row, it never occurred to him to look for a Cub outfielder trying to catch the ball? It just doesn't wash. And it's no excuse.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 11:20 am
There were a whole passel of people who tried for the ball. There is a great picture of hands that had been reaching for it suddenly recoiling in horror.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 11:41 am
Hands towards the ball: a "natural" movement.
Makes me wonder: how often do we sabotage ourselves with such "natural" movements?

For the brighter side, with the elimination of the Cubs we can assure the end of the world is not near anymore.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 12:32 pm
A sports announcer here had a good analogy:

paraphrased as:

What if the fan had been paying attention to Alou and then got beaned by the ball.

Good point!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 12:49 pm
In reference to the sportswriter's point: The fan was trying to catch the ball, rather than protecting himself from it. I also wonder why, when the ball left the bat, he didn't notice Alou start to move in his direction?

My sense is that the fan, like so many others attending a game on national tv, wanted to be famous for a moment: Fan makes great catch in stands, fellow fans give him high fives. Well, he's famous, all right, only not in the way he intended...
0 Replies

angie

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 12:57 pm
fbaezer wrote: "For the brighter side, with the elimination of the Cubs we can assure the end of the world is not near anymore."

Wanna bet ? The Sox are still in it !!!!

Bill: I used to love basketball. I've been a Celtics fan all my life. The game has changed so much, however, and tghough I still watch, it's just not the same. Too much outside shooting, not enough driving to the hoop, very little real team play. Except, of course, for Kidd, who is amazing, and duly "hated" in Boston.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 01:20 pm
angie, I do think that players have out sized the dimensions - raise the hoops, move the 3 point line out etc. Still, the speed seems to be what I most enjoy......
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 01:26 pm
I'm with Angie re "old school" hoops. I sometimes watch women's games just to get a taste of how the game is played when slam dunks aren't the goal of every offensive series. I also like college hoops (men) because there's some variety in strategy. I used to love watching Princeton when they ran those backdoor plays all the time. Now that's poetry in motion!

[Perhaps we need a new thread on this topic...]
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 03:53 pm
angie, among the seven signs of Doomsday we have:

6. "The Cubs and the Red Sox play the World Series".

The key is what does "and" mean.
I understand it means they face each other.

I was really afraid because sign number 7 stands:

7. "A robot from the Alps rules California".
0 Replies

angie

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 06:07 pm
fbaezer wrote:

"I was really afraid because sign number 7 stands:

7. "A robot from the Alps rules California".

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

thanks !!

now, off to watch the game..........
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 07:12 pm
GO sox! Go sox!
0 Replies

angie

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 09:39 pm
I just turned it off.

Grady Little is an idiot. He has cost them games all year; they are where they are IN SPITE OF HIM, not because of him.

Pedro pitched seven strong stressful innings.
He gave the a three run lead.
He had a 100 pitch count.
The bullpen has been amazing.

HOW DO YOU LET PEDRO PITCH IN THE EIGHTH ???

I don't care what happens from her on, GRADY THE IDIOT HAS TO GO !!!!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 09:49 pm
Extra innings! Wow.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 09:55 pm
long nite ahead i'm afraid...

pedro was great, no doubt about it.
0 Replies