Baseball Playoffs Start Today!

Roberta

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 09:10 pm
This Yankee fan is checking in. If the Bombers don't go all the way, then I'm hoping for a Boston/Chicago series.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 09:54 pm
That play at the plate today in the Marlins-Giants game was a thriller.

Gotta be happy for Pudge after all those years of suffering in Dallas.

Still hope the Cubs can get it done.

Sox's home run Trot lets them live another day.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 05:03 pm
Things are looking good for the Yankees, much to my dismay. Red Sox and A's will now fight to the death in Game 5, while NYY can rest and wait.

Meanwhile, Atlanta-Cubs in about an hour. Should be interesting. Will hordes of Chicago fans take over Turner Field at the end of the game? Stay tuned...
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 05:41 pm
I'd say the Sox have the edge with Pedro going tomorrow.

Kerry Wood vs. Mike Hampton tonight and both have been strong so far.

This should be a close, low-scoring game, with one pivotal little play making the difference.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 10:05 pm
Cubs win! Hard to pick a favorite between them and the Fish.

Yankees and Red Sox? Could it be?
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 09:49 am
Have you noticed that the NL Championship Series (Cubs-Marlins) is very very similar to the World Series envisioned by "Back to the Future II"?

It is said that if the World Series is Cubs against Red Sox, it will be a sign that we are near the End of Times.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 10:56 am
Braves' loss was a big disappointment to me, the biggest since, well, last year's. Which was the biggest since the year before that. And so forth...

Anyhow, I suspect the hated Yankees will waltz into the Series after Boston and Oakland kill each other off. Hope I'm wrong.

If the Cub pitchers can stay at the level they were vs. the Braves, they'll be hard to beat. Don't forget, Sosa did virtually nothing for the Cubs, and they still won!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 11:08 am
I wanted the Yankees to get knocked out almost as much as I want the Red Sox to win.

Thanks to the rally shots that were downed yesterday in the presence of the newly acquired Rally Nomah life size cut-out in my living room, the Sox are still in it.

They're beating Oakland tonight.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 11:17 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
...the newly acquired Rally Nomah life size cut-out in my living room....

Your apartment is done in early shortstop?

Go Sox!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 11:18 am
Good luck to the Red Sox. My selfish concern is for the team that has the best chance of beating the Yankees to win. Red Sox starting pitching seems a bit thin after Pedro, who's pitching tonight, but I guess the same could be said for Oakland's after Zito these days.

Too bad Minnesota couldn't have put up more of a fight...
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 11:45 am
jespah wrote:
[
Your apartment is done in early shortstop?

Go Sox!

Yes. I consulted with many fine interior decorators before deciding on the Nomah look. It looks divine strategically placed next to the wine rack and my Pollock original to the left of his head.

It was a bday gift this weekend.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 12:01 pm
Whatever works, Slappy. If having Nomar in the home means the Yankees lose, I'll get one myself!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 12:27 am
I guess I'll have to find someplace else to talk about the playoffs.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 05:20 am
Babe Ruth sleeps for another series.

Sox and Cubs in the Series sounds good to me.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 08:01 am
Wow Cubbies! I can't quite believe it. This town is starting to take on that aura, where if you see someone smiling for no apparent reason you can say something like, "So, watching the game tonight?" and elicit a huge grin and 5 minutes of chat.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 08:29 am
We're one step closer to one of the "Seven Signs":

The Cubs and Sox are in the LCS.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 09:06 am
The Cubs vs Boston in the World Series would be scary for sure. Their fans would be pleased, of course, but the implications for the Natural Order are hard to fathom. After all, one of those teams would have to win!

Roberta: It's OK to root for the Yankees here. I'm a Braves fan, and everyone is nice to me (well, sort of)...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 10:52 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:

It was a bday gift this weekend.

Happy birthday, SDH!

NOMAHHHHH!!!!

PS Any word on Johnny Damon? Last I heard he had a concussion but was still in the hospital for more tests. Argh, you practically heard the collision all the way here in Brighton.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 12:23 pm
Thanks, Jes...Damon has a concussion, but so far they say he'll be ok. I'm sure he'll be swollen up. They kept showing the replay of that...scary stuff.
I couldn't believe those jackass fans heckling Ortiz and Jackson when walking to the dugout...

Couple things: A's and their fans are whiners. Complaining Lowe made an obscene jesture...what's obscene about pumping your fist?
Manny's homer...walking down the line was "weak." Please, the guy gets his first homer of the series, let him soak it in.

I was in the Fenway area last night watching the game. From the amount of craziness that went on after...when the Sox win a World Series, Boston is going to fall into the ocean.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 12:56 pm
Well, I wouldn't buy a lifeboat just yet, Boston fans, but I agree the town will go nuts if your team wins. And deservedly so!

I happened to be in Boston for the infamous sixth game of the '86 Series. I was staying with an old high school friend and his wife, and he was a Mets fan. He was too nervous to watch the game, so his wife and I watched on TV while he hid out in his bedroom. I was rooting for the Red Sox (as Yankee hater, I felt a kinship). After it ended, he asked what happened. What could I say? That he missed one of the most incredible games ever played?

Anyhow, here's hoping the Red Sox beat the NY team this time around!
0 Replies