Baseball Playoffs Start Today!

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 02:00 pm
And I'm going to the home games. Can't wait.
0 Replies

wenchilina

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 02:38 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Couple things: A's and their fans are whiners

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-10/423021/fanowned.jpg
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 09:23 pm
Cubs get even and the Sox appear to be on the way to a 1-0 lead.

Together with Arnold elected Governor, I'm sure those have to be signs of the Apocolypse.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 09:31 pm
Yay Cubbies!! Very Happy
0 Replies

angie

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 10:08 pm
Hey Georgie Whine-brenner,

Can you spell S W E E P ??????

Go SOX !!!!!

And BTW, for all you Oakland fans, it WAS a fumble !!!!!

hahahahahahahahahahaha
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 10:28 am
Would love to see Bosox sweep NYY. Whinebrenner would implode for several reasons:

1) Losing in the playoffs
2) Being swept
3) Losing to Boston

But I won't be greedy, just let the Yankees lose. If Boston wins tonight, it's well on the way to happening. We must remind ourselves, though, there's many a slip twixt the cup and the lip...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 12:27 pm
... and some involve a ball rolling between one's feet.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 12:41 pm
Indeed. Though these Red Sox, as I keep reading, are a different breed from the, ahem, under-achievers of years past...

I just had this thought: Wouldn't it be cool if Boston won tonight and then on Saturday? It would be all but guaranteed that it would be Clemens' last game in the NYY uniform, as they would be down 3-0. And it would happen at Fenway. 'Tis a consummation devoutly to be wished...
0 Replies

angie

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 09:13 am
Ok, so now the series is tied 1-1.

I still like our chances, especially tomorrow against R A A H - G E RRRRR.

(BTW, I'm not a Grady LIttle fan. IMO, this team is winning is spite of him, not because of him. What kind of bonehead move was is to start Jackson last night instead of Walker who is the hottest player on the team right now! And could someone please explain to old Grady what a freakin' bunt is!

One of the best things about the Yankees losing this year woud be the firing of Joe Torrie - then perhaps the SOX could pick up a manager with a working brain.)
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 01:30 pm
For some reason I like Joe Torre, despite his managing NYY. Maybe because he and his older brother Frank played for the Braves, and maybe because he's a class act, constantly challenged by a childish tyrant of an owner.

What I love about Steinbrenner (ha) is his favorite refrain: "We have to win because we owe it to the people of NY." As if he were from NY (he's not--and currently lives in Florida) and as if it's not all about his huge ego...
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 03:18 pm
Angie, the main reason Jackson started over Walker, is he usually starts at second when D.Lowe pitches, because he's a ground ball pitcher, and Jackson has more range and has a better arm in the field. Plus, Walker is a lefty, so he supposedly wouldn't hit as well off of Petite, also a lefty.

What I want to know is(also if he knows what a bunt is), what the hell was Sauerbeck doing pitching? Not that it made a difference.
0 Replies

angie

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 04:30 pm

Slappy,

re: "Sour"beck. IT DID make a difference. We were just two down when Grady brought him in. We were still in the game. Why bring in someone whose history shows he cannot get anybody out ? Basically he walks almost everyone. He's useless. The game last night was huge - I would have brought in Timlin who has good stuff and is a fierce competitor. Or Aroyo. Or Donald Duck. Anyone but Sourbeck.

I know Jackson is supposed to provide better defense, but he's really not that much better. Looked like he made two errors on the same play last night. And what you lose in offense by not having Walker in the lineup definitely tips the scales. Walker is our hottest hitter now. IMO, he should have started.

Grady drives me crazy, just like Jimy used to. The press conferences either leave you scratching your head or or throwing things at the TV. And what's up with his speech ? Does he sound "all there" to you ?

Sorry, but the Sox make me crazy. We get so close, so damn close, every year. A sharp manager could make the difference.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 12:45 pm
Today may be the biggest game of the series, though you never know. Needless to say, it's REALLY important that the Sox win. I'll be rooting for them!
0 Replies

angie

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 06:34 pm
(sound of head pounding on table, repeatedly)

Here we go again.

Clemens and Pedro were both great, no surprise there.

Nomar went 0 - 4.

bench clearing brawl.

yadda, yadda, yadda.

I CAN'T TAKE THIS ANYMORE !

I'd have a drink, but I know it wouldn't stay down.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 10:48 pm
I watched the early part of the game, then left to see a movie--and I missed all the fun! Beanballs, a take-down of Don Zimmer (yea!), grounds-crew dude jumping into the NYY bullpen. Jeez. Too bad Boston couldn't pull it off at the end...
0 Replies

angie

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 09:53 pm
YES !!!!!

YES !!!!!!!!

Oh YES !!!!!!!!!!
[/size]

It's a 2-2 series. D-Lowe goes tomorrow.

And Grady has decided to start Walker - HELLO !

If only Nomar weren't struggling so - he breaks my heart. He's such a fierce competitor, and he looks so awful. (sigh)
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 10:08 pm
One more... can they do it?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 09:33 am
Actually, 2 more.
0 Replies

angie

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 09:46 am
Yep, two more.

And if it rains tomorrow (wed), which it looks as if it might, then Wakefield could actually start thursday again. He is so in the yanks' heads now, that might not be a bad idea.

And then, oh yes, if it goes to game 7, it would be Raahgerrrr against Pedro again, this time in the Bronx.

Question: can Pedro pitch wearing a bullet-proof vest ?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 10:16 am
NY Times has an article today about what a nightmare it might be if Game 7 occurs in NY, and Pedro, Public Enemy #1 right now for Yankee fans, pitches. Bleacher fans like to throw batteries at players, that sort of thing.

So, let's hope Boston takes the next two. Oh, wouldn't that be sweet!
0 Replies