OVER THE COUNTER DEADLY REMEDIES

ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2015 09:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
I almost bought it once (shudder) - they have it at Walmart (or had it), which I rarely go to, but did that day. I bought something else healthy sounding, but I moved to the more expensive Blue Buffalo (or some name like that) that I got from a very careful small local pet supply shop, Jack and Rascals. Good people there.

On second thought, I'm not sure the Blue Buffalo food was more expensive by much per pound. It came in a bigger bag than the one I got at WMart that time. I think that was back when Katy first came to live at my place. The very first bag I got her, the day before I met her, was from our local grocery store, a place with a poor selection. It was probably Purina; only bought that once.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2015 09:27 pm
Beneful is made by Purina. I thought they had more integrity than that. But in the face of the lawsuit they said they will continue to make it.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2015 09:35 pm
@edgarblythe,
The person who knows a lot about dog food on a2k is ehBeth; I listened to her advice and also Ragman's, whose the one who told me about Blue Buffalo.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2015 12:29 pm
Here is a list of what these people feel are the worst dog treats on the market.
http://www.holisticandorganixpetshoppe.com/top-worst-dog-treats-on-the-market.html
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2015 10:26 pm

Grain-Free Dog Treats

Yield: 22 cookies

Grain-Free Dog Treats

Ingredients
1 medium banana, mashed
3 tablespoons creamy (natural) peanut butter
1 large egg
1 3/4 cup garbanzo bean flour
*1/4 cup rolled oats (optional)

Directions
1.Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
2.In a small bowl, mix together the banana, peanut butter and egg; mix until completely combined. To a medium bowl, add the flour and rolled oats; mix. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and combine until the dough comes together.
3.Transfer the dough to a piece of heavily floured wax paper. Note: The dough will be sticky so flouring everything (wax paper, rolling pin and cookie cutter) is important. Roll the dough to a 1/4-inch thickness and cut out the cookies using a cookie cutter of choice. Re-roll the scraps and cut out more cookies. (I used a small heart cookie cutter and ended up with 22 cookies.) Transfer the cookies to a parchment-lined baking sheet. These cookies won't spread so placing them close together is okay. If you don't want to roll the dough out, alternatively, you can scoop teaspoons of dough onto a baking sheet, flattening the cookies with the ball of your palm.
4.Bake the cookies for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown. Allow the cookies to come to room temperature on a cooling rack. Cookies will be good for up to 2 weeks in an airtight container.

Notes

*Oats are technically a grain. I added them for texture. You can of course eliminate this and you'll be good to go.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2015 06:46 pm
Rocky was underfoot while I baked that recipe. He almost acted as though he knew it was being done on his behalf. When I finally handed him one, he snatched it like a hungry dog and ran off to eat it. I filled up a coffee can with these things.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2015 06:50 pm
@edgarblythe,
Similar but different in that I did use mixed flours, re Katy's treats. Happiness.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2015 07:23 pm
They didn't need the oats to have a good texture. I spooned the dough instead of rolling it. It came out of the bowl in almost disc shapes. Oh, and the nearby Kroger did not have garbanzo flour, so I bought a bag of garbanzos and ground them in the blender.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2015 08:00 pm
@edgarblythe,
I have a red mill flour that is garbanzo and fava beans. Forget why, thinking it was for making dosas, but not sure.
I'm one who actually likes fava beans.

Haven't made dosas in a few years..
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2015 08:09 pm
@ossobuco,
I have been known to enjoy fava beans. My wife does not fancy them, so I don't buy many. I know about Red Mill. I think if I had been in HEB I might have found the flour.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2015 08:56 pm
@edgarblythe,
I had fresh ones in italy, forgetting where, somewhere in Tuscany, simple, with some fresh pecorino. I was, I suppose, a tourist at the beginning but morphed over the trips - now a long time ago - and a few italian tourists would ask me directions. I changed clothes by the second visit, once I observed how people dressed. Having italian tourists ask me was oddly nice, and was comedic, but I tried to help with my sincere efforts. I remember on my first trip, a sacristan at a church in Rome asked me if I was Portuguese.

Yes, I know bad stuff re fava beans, I gather a genetic problem.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2015 09:26 pm
I've only had dried and canned. HEB sometimes has some, sometimes they don't.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2015 09:33 pm
@edgarblythe,
Once and only once, no matter my asking at the grocery store, they stocked a Progresso fava bean soup.
I liked it.
Maybe I was the only one.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2015 09:58 pm
I can't recall a brand name, but Progresso may have been it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 01:08 pm

Blue Buffalo gets slammed by a **** storm of new lawsuits

Nestlé Purina PetCare Company (Purina) aren’t the only people suing Blue Buffalo, now consumers have jumped on the litigation bandwagon and Blue Buffalo is getting slammed by a multitude of lawsuits alleging deceptive advertising practices. The growing number of lawsuits filed against Blue Buffalo keep growing and they are claiming, among other things, that the company falsely represented that their pet food does not contain ingredients – such as chicken/poultry by-product meals and corn – when it appears as if Blue Buffalo’s pet food might actually contain those ingredients.

Because of the number of class action lawsuits involved the U.S. Judicial Panel on Multi-District Litigation has agreed to consolidate seven false advertising class action lawsuits filed against Blue Buffalo Co. Ltd. for misleading customers about the ingredients in its pet food. They alleged that Blue Buffalo misled its customers by claiming its pet food products did not contain any chicken by-products, corn or grain and led them to pay premium prices for the pet food. The class-action lawsuit was transferred to another court where several related lawsuits making the same allegations will be heard together.

The smoking e-mails

It is safe to assume that Blue Buffalo was aware, at some point, that their pet food did contain the vilified ingredient they based their marketing claim on, when during pretrial discovery—the process by which litigants demand internal documents and communications that could become evidence—e-mails revealed that Purina claims reinforce its allegations. In May, e-mails between a Blue Buffalo ingredient broker (Diversified Ingredients) and a major supplier (Wilbur-Ellis) suggest strongly that they did indeed sell pet food containing by-product meal. In an e-mail to Diversified Ingredients, a broker working for Blue Buffalo, a sales manager for supplier Wilbur-Ellis wrote that it did include “some by-product meal” in shipments from a Texas plant intended for Blue Buffalo.

Realizing that the inclusion of by-product meal now has potential legal consequences, Diversified Ingredients expressed alarm to Wilbur-Ellis and a way to respond to the kibble crisis:

“I think if we work together, we can band-aid this situation,” Diversified’s Collin McAtee wrote on May 15 to Darwin Rusu of Wilbur-Ellis. Referring to a “smoking gun,” McAtee added, “If you are going to fill these contracts for any reason, then I’m going to have to go to Blue Buffalo to address the breach of contract and undoubtedly divulge the details of what was shipped and the possibility that Rosser’s material is the smoking gun for their problems. That I do not want to do. If the finger is pointed in that direction and then later verified to have been the cause, then Diversified and Wilbur will both have to answer to this in litigation with Blue. The liabilities in this could be enormous. You are talking about massive product recalls, potential market share loss, etc. That would undoubtedly be in the several million dollar range.”

Blue Buffalo then claimed they were duped by their supplier, by publicly revealing that contrary to prior assurances, Blue Buffalo admitted that ingredients from their supplier did in fact contain poultry by-product meal after all — proving that the central allegations in Purina’s false advertising lawsuit against them. Despite Blue Buffalo’s admission, no mention was made about taking steps to recall the mislabeled pet foods, nor to compensate the millions of consumers that purchased the falsely labeled products.

Voodoo science performed in a highly sophisticated lab

Purina claims that testing of Blue Buffalo’s pet food were conducted in a “highly sophisticated, independent lab“, while Blue Buffalo calls their testing “junk science” and claims the testing was performed with a rudimentary microscope under less than optimal conditions with questionable methods. Regardless, the results of testing and analysis reveal that, in some instances, 9 out of 10 Blue Buffalo products tested contained poultry by-product meal, even though the packaging indicated otherwise. Instead, tests indicated the products contained several signature elements of poultry by-product meal: eggshell, raw feather and leg scale. Further, that quantities of grain were found in samples of Blue Buffalo’s pet food that were labeled “grain-free.”
http://www.poisonedpets.com/blue-buffalo-gets-slammed-by-a-****-storm-of-consumer-lawsuits-based-on-deceptive-advertising-claims/
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2015 01:01 pm
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10419061_10206601378339579_9157043457041179879_n.jpg?oh=58a8a31b1641c8eec28acb05b0caed5e&oe=55ABD78A&__gda__=1438086901_3429c1af267a4f29eaaaddd2a7801a09

Carr‎Fight for Fred....Ban products that are unsafe for dogs to consume

This exact Nylabone is the cause of our sweet Riley s death. We did a Google search and found that these kill thousands of dogs each year. As the dog chews on the nylabone the hard plastic begins to have very sharp edges. Riley swallowed just the end piece and it pierced his intestines. We had no idea till an autopsy was performed and the veterinarian showed the contents of Riley s stomach. The veterinarian determined that was the cause of death and went as far as to write a letter to the company. Unfortunately nothing has been done as these are still on shelves. This is just ridiculous!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2015 01:05 pm
@edgarblythe,
Ay yi yi..
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2015 08:55 pm
Of course, much of what I post here is for the individual to investigate on their own, just in case some over zealous link is off.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 04:11 pm
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/v/t1.0-9/11267457_1617739725140381_4843205924585746051_n.jpg?oh=1da0cd4b681a03cd8f12c480f0d58d90&oe=56244545
0 Replies