OVER THE COUNTER DEADLY REMEDIES

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 07:06 am
Last night my wife tld me about a news item she saw, about Hartz flea killer liquid, which squeezes out of a tube onto the dog's skin. There apparently is a class action lawsuit because it allegedly has harmed a number of dogs and even killed some. The symptoms are loss of appetite, loss of balance, possible coma - I am not sure what else since I didn't actually see the story.
A few weeks ago my 12 yr. old dog died with those kind of symptoms. We thought it possibly was parvo, but, I didn't 100% believe it. Well, I used a different brand name of the same kind of remedy on her shortly before she died. I intend to get both products side by side to compare ingredients.

New Haven

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 07:09 am
Better to use the flea pill, is what my vet has told me!

Drunk

It's almost a hopeless act to join a class action suit involving a dog. Dogs and other pets are considered PROPERTY by the courts and law suits involving meds and vets usually end up in the washout! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 09:31 am
The American people need to know if the remedy maker is a crook. I am not asking for anything out of this mishap, except to know the truth and to get any proven unsafe products removed from the shelves.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 11:05 am
Hi edgar! I believe that this is the same flea killer that is being linked some cat deaths. http://www.pandecats.com/x/hartz_warning.htm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 11:22 am
I think you are right. I bought a different brand, but, these companies copy one another. There has to be a connection.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 11:28 am
The EPA has already been investigating Hartz for these complaints but the toxicity levels for dogs seems to be minimal. The larger problem appears to be with cats. Of course each case is different and if your dog had some pre-existing condition that was triggered... Well..

http://www.fox8wghp.com/foys/EPA_Report.pdf.

sorry to hear about your dog.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 11:56 am
That link came up Page Cannot Be Found.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 01:29 pm
Since the link does seem to be having some problems I'll post it in it's entirity:

UNITED STATES ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY
WASHINGTON. D.C. 20460
Office of Prevention. Pesticides andToxic Substances

MEMORANDUM

SUBJECT: Review of Incident Data for Four Hartz Mountain Flea and Tick Control Products (2596-146, -147, -148 and -150)
DP Barcodes: D276262 (Registration # 2596-150)
D276263 (Registration # 2596-148)
D276274 (RF 9804 Topical)
D276701 (Registration # 2596-147)
D276720 (Registration # 2596-146)
D277612 and D277613 (label amendments for 2596-148 and 2596-151)

FROM: Virginia A. Dobozy, VMD, MPH Reregistration Branch I, Health Effects Division (7509C)

THROUGH: Jerome Blondell, PhD, MPH Chemistry and Exposure Branch, Health effects Division (7509C)

O:Arnold Layne/Linda DeLuise (Registration Division) Janet Andersen/William Schneider/Jim Downing (Biopesticides and PollutionPrevention Division)

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY Detailed incident reports for Categories D-A (death) and D-B (major events) on four Hartz Mountain products [2596-146 Control One-Spot for Dogs (2.9% methoprene and 45% permethrin). 2596-147 Control One-Spot for Cats (2.9% methoprene), 2596-148 Advanced Care Flea and Tick Drops for Cats (85.7% d-phenothrin and 2.9% methoprene) and 2596-150 Advanced Care Flea and Tick Drops for Dogs (85.7% d-phenothrin and 2.9% methoprene) were reviewed. Data were available from 3rd quarter1998 through 4th quarter 2000 for products 2596-146 and 2596-147 and from 1st quarter 2000 through 4th quarter 2000 for 2596-148 and 2596-150. The detailed data we rerequested due to large numbers of incidents reported in the quarterly aggregate reports for these products. The registrant, Hartz Mountain, maintains that the following number of incidents should have been classified as D-C (minor events): 3 for 2596-146, 30 for 2596-147 and 46 for 2596-148.

The incidents (number of affected animals) were categorized as to whether the product was responsible for the adverse event using the following categories: definite, probable, possible. unlikely. unrelated and unknown. If an incident report was from the ASPCA/National Animal Poison Control Center, their causality category was used. For product 2596-146, the majority of deaths (141/239, 59%) involved cats which were accidentally or intentionally treated with the product. In addition, 17/239 (7%) cats exposed to treated dogs died. Permethrin toxicosis was the cause of death in the majority of cats. Clinical signs of toxicity prior to death included tremors, seizures and ataxia. which were reported in a majority of cats exposed to 2596-146. One death in dogs was categorized as probable and another as possible. The majority of the D-B (major events) cases [316/346 (91%)] were reported in cats treated directly (294/316, 93%) with 2596-146 or exposed to treated dogs (22/316, 7%). Clinical signs of toxicity included those reported for the D-A cases. i.e., tremors, seizures and ataxia. Only 30/346 (9%) of the D-B incidents were reported in dogs. Six cases in dogs were categorized as probable or possible. For product 2596-147, there were a total of 202 deaths reported for 2596-147, 75 (37%) of which were considered unlikely due to product exposure, using NAPCC categorization. A total of 109/202 (54%) were unknown, mostly due to lack of detailed information. NAPCC toxicologists appear to have been convinced that cats reported to have neurological clinical signs of toxicity prior to death were either: 1) exposed to another insecticide used for adulticide control (methoprene is only an insect growth regulator); 2) accidently or intentionally treated with 2596-146; or 3) exposed to dogs treated with 2596-146 or another concentrated permethrin product. In the NAPCC reports, there are notations in the narrative sections where the toxicologists repeatedly questioned owners and veterinarians about such exposure. Even if owners insisted that a cat was exposed only to 2596-147, an incident was still categorized as doubtful (unlikely using EPA categories). However, 5 cases were categorized as probable or possible. Nine cases of liver failure, including two cats from one household, were diagnosed in the D-Aincidents with 2596-147. Findings of liver failure were supported in one of two companion animal safety studies in which 2/5 kittens treated at 5x the recommended dose had elevation of liver enzymes. However, in another companion animal safety study, there was no elevation in liver enzymes when kittens were treated at 5x the recommended dose for four weekly intervals. The majority (109/169, 64%) of the D-B incidents were categorized as unlikely caused by 2596-147. As with the D-A cases, NAPCC toxicologists were reluctant to conclude that a methoprene-only product could be responsible for the incidents. In 128/169 (76%) of the cats, the clinical signs of tremor and/or seizures were reported. The incidents in three cats were categorized as probable or possible. There were multiple cases in the D-A and D-B incidents in which cats experienced possible dermal hypersensitivity. Clinical signs observed in 2 hours or less of product application included hyperactivity, nervousness, trying to bite at application site. hissing, agitation. tachycardia. dyspnea and panting.

For product 2596-148, the majority of the incident reports in cats for the D-A category were from Hartz Mountain and did not contain sufficient information to establish a cause of death. Of the total 35 cats involved, 13 were reported to have the neurological signs of tremors and/or seizures prior to death. One cat may have had an anaphylactic reaction to the product. Of the 104 total cats which experienced major events, the product was definitively associated with the reaction in 8 cats, probably associated in 10 cats and possibly associated in 46 cats. Of the 104 cats, 91 were reported to have tremors and/or seizures. For product 2598-150, there were five reports of deaths involving 4 dogs and 1 cat. The cat had seizures six hours after application and died possibly as a result of the seizure control treatment. In three of the dog cases, there was not enough information to categorize the cause of the death. In the fourth dog, the case was categorized as unlikely.There were two D-B reports involving 1 dog and 3 cats. The dog was reported to have seizures 11 hours after product application. The three cats had neurological signs and breathing difficulties.There was some evidence of possible packaging mix-up in the incident data. Based on internal communication. it is possible that the dog product 2596-146 was accidently placed into packaging for the cat product 2596-147. Five companion animal safety studies were reviewed. In two studies (MRIDs45410906 and 45435901) conducted with a 3.0% methoprene, cats or kittens were administered 5x the recommended dose. Both studies were classified as unacceptable because they did not meet guideline requirements. In one study, signs of toxicity were observed at 5x the recommended dose; therefore. a 3x level should have been tested. In the other study, animals were not observed for clinical signs of toxicity immediatelyafter product application. A study conducted in adult cats and kittens with a 95.7% d-phenothrin and 3.09%methoprene product (MRID 44864007C) was also unacceptable. Adult cats treated at 5x the recommended dose had excessive salivation, restlessness and scratching. There was decreased body weight gain and food consumption in adult cats and male kittens. A full study using 3 dose levels should have been conducted instead of the limit test since there was evidence of toxicity at the 5x dose. Companion animal safety studies in puppies (45006402C ) and adult dogs (45006403C) with this product were acceptable and demonstrated no evidence of toxicity at 5x the recommended dose. Acute toxicity studies (MRIDs 45410901 through 45410905) conducted with Hartz Test Sample #11146 (3% methoprene) demonstrated that it is has low acute oral and dermal toxicity, is not a dermal or eye irritant and is not a dermal sensitizer in laboratory animals.Proposed label amendmentsfor products "596-148 and 2596-150 (85% d-phenothrin foruse on dogs and cats) were reviewed. Hartz Mountain is proposing adding the followingto the label, "Cats don t like to get wet and can try to remove moisture by licking or rubbing the area. Twitching, running away or shaking. They can send ripples down their back which may look like tremors. After treatment with this product, your pet may exhibit these normal behavior patterns. You will need to differentiate these patterns froman adverse reaction by considering whether they are similar to your experience when your cat's back gets wet with plain water or are more serious. This product is oil based and your pet may sense the moisture from it until it dries in about 24 hours."

RECOMMENDATIONS

1. The EPA Office of Enforcement and Compliance Assurance should be asked to sample available product 2596-147 from market outlets across the country, especially those likely to have old product on hand (e.g.. hardware and garden stores) and have theproduct tested for composition.

2. The possibility of packaging problems should be thoroughly explored to determine ifand when it occurred, which products were involved, how much product was mixed upand what actions Hartz Mountain took to rectify the situation. EPA laboratory audits of manufacturing facilities should be included in this effort. Until OPP knows ifcontamination occurred, it is not possible to clearly determine if any of the D-A or D-B incidents in cats with 2596-147 were due to the registered product (methoprene only).

3. It is recommended that product 2596-148 be re-evaluated for its safety in cats. There is significant evidence from the incident data that some cats develop neurological signs of toxicity after exposure. A margin of safety was not been established in the companion animal safety studies. Therefore, studies should be repeated. It is unclear how the stripe-on method of application contributes to the toxicity. i.e., whether the toxicity observed insome cats and not others is due to ingestion, along with dermal absorption, of the product; However, other pyrethroids, such as permethrin, are extremely toxic in cats at a lower percentage of active ingredient.

4. It is strongly recommended that the proposed labeling for products 2596-148 and 2596-150 not be accepted. Many incidents for 2596-148 from the NAPCC in which tremors were reported were categorized as high, medium or low suspicion that the product was the cause of the adverse reaction. The proposed labeling revisions may cause
owners to delay treatment of potentially fatal neurological signs of toxicity. Early, aggressive treatment of pyrethrin/pyrethroid toxicity often results in full recovery but pets not receiving aggressive care may die.

5. The registrant has misinterpreted the 6(a)(2) regulations in classification of D-B and D-C categories. Surviving animals which experience seizures should be classified as D-B (major events). (Tremors would not normally be considered life-threatening; however, they may progress to seizures in many cases.) The registrant should be notified, that until further notice, separate reports should be filed on each case involving seizures. tremors or other significant signs (D-A, D-B, D-C) as a
condition of continued registration.

6. Label revisions of concentrated permethrin products to warn pet owners about the dangers of permethrin toxicity in cats directly treated or exposed to treated dogs should be required.

7. Incidents with product 2596-147 should continue to be monitored for evidence of liver failure and dermal hypersensitivity reactions. As a condition of continued registration, the registrant should be required to submit detailed reports on all such reactions.

8. The registrant should submit the missing reports listed on page 20 of this review.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 02:38 pm
Since it does not exclude dogs, it is still possible it is what happened to my dog. I never said "of a certainty" - yet. Thanks for sharing the report. I had not even read anything about all this before the two links provided here.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 07:25 pm
Condolensces from me to your family on the losss of your dog.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 07:49 pm
Thanks ragman. She was just something special.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 11:38 am
I'm sorry too, edgar. I hope this gets off the market fast if it is related.
0 Replies

gstevens

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 12:07 pm
Hartz Mountain Flea Drops
My 3 year old Siamese (indoor) cat died this past weekend. I put on the drops and she ran and hid; she kept on twitching her ears so I washed off the drops a few days later. Hartz says that hers is a "normal" reaction. I noticed later that what appeared to be purring was really deep breathing; she stopped eating. I took her to the vets and he put her on heart medication; still her breathing became more labored. Again I took her to the vets but despite repeated care, her heart gave out.
I am sick about it.
The chemical has been banned from use on lawns; how can they use it on animals?
0 Replies

ginia

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 01:59 am
Hartz Medication Containing Permethrin
Hi everybody. Very Happy

I want to let you all know that today is the first time that I switched to a new flea and tick medication for my pup. The name is Bio Spot, and it contains the deadly ingredient Permethrin. I didn't know this at the time, someone just told me to check the active ingredient and find out if deaths have occurred- and indeed they have. It's not only Hartz medication that containd Permethrin, it's many medications- so if this is an active ingredient DONT BUY IT!! I will be calling the company I bought it from and see if I can purchase something else. I am very sorry to hear of deaths of some of your companions, but lets be thankful that this info has come out before more of our pets fall ill. Bottom line: Companies- including our government value the almighty dollar rather than protecting people and things we care about of course the company is going to cover it up and of course there's going to be lawsuits- but I doubt it'll do anything. But it's our job to protect our pets, and if enough people don't buy tick preventitives with this active ingredient, these companies will be forced to change the way they do things.

Good Luck.

Gin & Bruiser Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 03:28 am
Over here they sell a product called "Frontline" which sounds similar.

The Camp we live in is infested with crows. Several times a year they put out poison bait for them. We're well warned in advance, but the crows are said to pick up the bait and drop it all over Camp. Quite a few people have lost their dogs this way.

Early last year our saluki (Sage) go real sick at about the time they were putting the bait out. We figured the crows must have dropped some bait in the backyard and she ate it. After a week or so she pulled through, but was never quite the same afterwards. In September of last year Sage started picking up fleas again, and without thinking we treated her with the Frontline. She died the next morning.

My heart goes out to everyone who has lost a dog like this.
0 Replies

Anoxia

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 07:31 pm
The animal services officers in this county have said that HARTZ is not a good brand to use. Someone donated a ton of that to their animal shelter, and they refuse to use any of it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 08:50 pm
I'm sorry, everyone, for your loss. At least maybe this thread will save a few animals.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 09:25 pm
A friend of mine used the Hartz flea killer liquid for kittens on her darling 3-month-old kitten, and it was in a coma for a week. (The product is labeled for kittens over 8 weeks old.) Her vet told her the stuff is poison. Fortunately, the kitten survived.

Unfortunately, so did the fleas. Sad
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 06:08 pm
ProHeart 6 heartworm injections recalled

By Carolyn Campbell / 11 News

To keep man's best friend healthy, you've got to keep them free of deadly heartworms. Vets thought they had the perfect solution in ProHeart 6. It's a twice-a-year injection instead of the more common monthly chewables.

AP

"A lot of the owners who had the monthly heartworm preventatives never used it," said Dr. Marc Hays, a Houston veterinarian. "On a routine basis, they forgot."

ProHeart was a standard at the SPCA until two months ago when the drug was voluntarily recalled.

Since 2001, more than 18 million doses of ProHeart have been administered to dogs around the country. Since then, the Food and Drug Administration has received 5,500 reports of severe adverse drug reactions. Six-hundred of them were deadly.

"We did have one dog that succumbed to this sudden death syndrome," said Dr. Hayes.

But he still believes in the drug. "I would still use that product if it came back on the market again," Dr. Hays said. "What we're trying to do is prevent heartworms which I think causes many more deaths."

Questions & Answers regarding ProHeart recall
"It didn't involve taking pills -- a lot easier to take and just as effective," Dale said. "It's just less convenient and I'm not as sure of it as I am that shot."

Research and testing on ProHeart continues, and it may be back again. But, for now, Spike will have to go back to chewables and his good health will depend on Dale remembering to give them once a month.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 11:33 pm
When my cats had a flea problem I took them to the vets and had them bathed. When I went to pick them up I asked about the flea drops. The vets assistant told me to stay away from hartz as it had been known to kill cats. The chemical they use is meant to fight fleas and ticks on COWS! Shocked The dosage and potency of this poison is way to much for small animals like cats and dogs. She did recommend frontline to me though (but they sell it IN the vets office so i'm not sure if she was sincere or just trying to sell the in-house brand). The active ingredient is called fipronil.

I used it on my cats and one of them acted as if I had poured acid on the back of his neck. He flinched away from me and ran and hid and kept blinking his eyes as if they burned. My other two cats did not have any reaction to it besides the annoyance of having stuff put on them. After about an hour my first cat seemed fine again. I don't know if frontline is any safer than that other stuff. I stopped using it when the fleas disappeared and have never had to use it again so far ( my cats are all inside only cats). I hope people keep updating this because I would like to know if frontline is OK, I won't be able to keep the fleas away forever.

On a side note, to keep fleas from re-appearing in a newly de-flead home, sprinkle 20 Mule team Borax soap under couches and beds, any dark carpeted place where fleas like to breed. The soap will kill any eggs and it will not harm carpets or pets. I found this stuff at Wal-Mart in their laundry detergent aisle.