OVER THE COUNTER DEADLY REMEDIES

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 05:58 pm
Hartz To Pull Products Following Pet Deaths
Products To Be Relabeled Immediately

POSTED: 3:33 pm CDT June 8, 2005

Hartz Mountain Corp. will stop production of several flea and tick products that may have caused numerous deaths in cats and kittens, Local 2 reported Wednesday.

It includes the following pet product brand names.
Hartz Advanced Care 4 in 1 Flea & Tick Drops Plus+ for Cats and Kittens
Hartz Advanced Care Brand Flea and Tick Drops Plus+ for Cats and Kittens
Hartz Advanced Care 3 in 1 Flea & Tick Drops for Cats and Kittens
Hartz Advanced Care Once-A-Month Flea and Tick Drops for Cats and Kittens

Hartz agreed to relabel and then stop production at the insistence of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the agency said.

In the short term, the agreement calls for immediate relabeling of the products. The new labeling will state that the products are not to be used on the most vulnerable animals, including cats and kittens that weigh less than 6 pounds, cats older than 13 years, or kittens less than 5 months old.

Hartz will stop all new production of the cat and kitten products by Sept. 30, 2005, and not sell or distribute any affected product after Dec. 31, 2005.

"EPA is taking this action because there are safety concerns with these products,'' said Susan B. Hazen, principal deputy assistant administrator at EPA. "Pet owners should be alerted to these concerns, and may choose to transition to alternative products. We take seriously our obligation to ensure that pesticide products, when used as labeled, are safe."

The company agreed to a prohibition on any remaining retail sales by March 31, 2006. This orderly transition allows consumers and distributors to move to alternatives flea and tick products and will be strictly monitored.

Hartz will also be notifying their distributors and retailers of the changes in order to ensure a workable phase out.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 08:17 pm
Thank God! I've been warning people about Hartz flea products for a couple of years now. A friend almost lost her 6 mo. old kitten/cat because of these. It went into convusions, then a coma, and stayed that way for a week. The vet said it was a miracle she made it and told her to NEVER use that product again. Said he'd seen dozens of deaths from it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 08:43 pm
Now, the dogs . . .
0 Replies

PiratesOfSML

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 01:32 pm
OVER THE COUNTER DEADLY REMEDIES
Exclamation Exclamation Arrow It seems that Sergeant's flea and tick collars kill as well, just something for any one to know....read read read the ingreients any thing that is listed in this list and others you can find DO NOT USE!!!![/B]
(+)-cis,trans-Phenothrin , (+)-trans,cis-Fenothrin , (3-Phenoxyphenyl)methyl 2,2-dimethyl-3-(2-methyl-1-propenyl)cyclopropanecarboxylate , (3-Phenoxyphenyl)methyl d-cis and trans* 2,2-dimethyl-3-(2-methylpropenyl)cyclopropanecarboxylate *(Max. d-cis 25% : Max. trans , 02093 (CA DPR Chem Code) , 069005 (US EPA PC Code) , 2093 (CA DPR Chem Code) , 26002-80-2 (CAS Number) , 26002802 , 26002802 (CAS Number) , 3-Phenoxybenzyl (1R)-cis/trans chrysanthemate , 3-Phenoxybenzyl chrysanthemate , 3-Phenoxybenzyl d-cis and trans-2,2-dimethyl-3-(2-methylpropenyl)cyclopropanecarboxylate , 3-Phenoxybenzyl ester of DL-cis-trans-chrysanthemum , 3-Phenoxybenzyl ester of dl-cis-trans-chrysanthemum monocarboxylic acid , 3-Phenoxybenzyl-d-Z/E-chrysanthemate , Anvil (insecticide) , Cyclopropanecarboxylic acid, 2,2-dimethyl-3-(2-methyl-1-propenyl)-, (3-phenoxyphenyl)methyl ester (26002-80-2) , Cyclopropanecarboxylic acid, 2,2-dimethyl-3-(2-methyl-1-propenyl)-, (3-phenoxyphenyl)methyl ester, (1R-cis)- (51186-88-0) , Cyclopropanecarboxylic acid, 2,2-dimethyl-3-(2-methyl-1-propenyl)-, (3-phenoxyphenyl)methyl ester, (1R-trans)- (26046-85-5) , Cyclopropanecarboxylic acid, 2,2-dimethyl-3-(2-methylpropenyl)-, m-phenoxybenzyl ester , Cyclopropanecarboxylic acid, 2,2-dimethyl-3-(2-methylpropenyl)-, m-phenoxybenzyl ester, (+)-(Z,E)- , Cyfenothrin , D-Phenothrin , m-Phenoxybenzyl-(+-)-cis,trans-chrysanthemate , Phenothrin , Phenothrin (26002-80-2) , Phenoxythrin , S-2539 , S-2539 Forte , S-2539Forte , Sumithrin Exclamation Exclamation
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 01:47 pm
As I understand it, the ones avaiable through the vet are now very safe. We use Advantage on our pets and have never had a problem with it.

We used an early one - about 15 years ago - that had a chemical called Phention (I'm not sure how it's spelled but it sounds like Fen-thigh-on) and it nearly killed our dog so watch out for that chemical too.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 02:14 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
ProHeart 6 heartworm injections recalled

By Carolyn Campbell / 11 News

To keep man's best friend healthy, you've got to keep them free of deadly heartworms. Vets thought they had the perfect solution in ProHeart 6. It's a twice-a-year injection instead of the more common monthly chewables.

AP

"A lot of the owners who had the monthly heartworm preventatives never used it," said Dr. Marc Hays, a Houston veterinarian. "On a routine basis, they forgot."

ProHeart was a standard at the SPCA until two months ago when the drug was voluntarily recalled.

Since 2001, more than 18 million doses of ProHeart have been administered to dogs around the country. Since then, the Food and Drug Administration has received 5,500 reports of severe adverse drug reactions. Six-hundred of them were deadly.

"We did have one dog that succumbed to this sudden death syndrome," said Dr. Hayes.

But he still believes in the drug. "I would still use that product if it came back on the market again," Dr. Hays said. "What we're trying to do is prevent heartworms which I think causes many more deaths."

Questions & Answers regarding ProHeart recall
"It didn't involve taking pills -- a lot easier to take and just as effective," Dale said. "It's just less convenient and I'm not as sure of it as I am that shot."

Research and testing on ProHeart continues, and it may be back again. But, for now, Spike will have to go back to chewables and his good health will depend on Dale remembering to give them once a month.

my pooch who is now my avatar had two horrible reactions to the proheart. the first time, my vet insisted it was the rabies shot which he had never reacted to before. When it happened the second time, they insisted it was the distemper shot which again he had never reacted to before. Fortunately both times, we had not left the vet's office and good old bernard was fine after they gave him some benadryl.

they told me that there were no reports of dogs having reactions to the proheart at the time. lo and behold the truth comes out. needless to say after the second shot, he got switched back to the monthly chewables and every time he gets any shots now he is pretreated (i am guessing again with benadryl).

i have used advantage on him many times with no adverse reactions. i think they came out with a new one called advantix to treat fleas and ticks. boy i hope the advatage isn't the same category as hartz! scares me...
0 Replies

chikyla

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 09:06 am
Our german shepard/lab mix has had fleas for a few weeks. I find about 2-4 on him every time I check. We have used Natural defense topical treatments and baths with no resolve. Also started putting apple cider vinegar in his water. His skin is starting to get red and irritated and feel we have to use something stronger but what is safe???
We also have a cat but he doesn't seem to have fleas (probably far fetched)?
Thanks for any recommendations for safe flea removal
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 12:00 pm
I buy flea treatment from the vet. Last time cost about 53 dollars for three months worth.
0 Replies

liefland

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 09:31 pm
@Aldistar,
My cat Cleo is dying, I was away for a week and my friend looked after her. She bought the Hartz UltraGuardPlus for Cats and administered a dose to Cleo. It has been a few days. Cleo is dying. She is lying in the corner of my kitchen, unable to move, sleeps all the time, very still. Yesterday she lay in her litter box. It is heart-breaking.

Lauren Liefland
San Diego
[email protected]
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 09:46 pm
@liefland,
I don't know if a vet can save her. It may be worth a try.
0 Replies

dothavens

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 10:59 am
As everyone knows, their pet is family. I only use medications from vets or vet prescribed. Some of the over the counter stuff is o k but I have always, ALWAYS been told by everyone----DO NOT BUY ANYTHING HARTZ--IT IS DEADLY. I know sometimes you cannot afford a vet or his medicines because it costs a fortune to raise a child or animal and your animal is your child; mine is any way; and if you cannot get the medications, go to the internet and find solutions. There are herbs that repel fleas and ticks. (they smell good too) I do not remember off hand but it is on the internet. I am so sorry to those of you who have lost your pets. I lost my kitty of 16 years and dog of 14 years last year within 3 months of each other and it is the worst pain that there is.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 12:21 pm
Sorry for your loss. I still miss the very first dog I had. He died in December of 1956.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2015 05:39 pm
Petsmart and Petco said they will quit selling Chinese made pet treats.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2015 08:44 pm
Lawsuit claims Purina Beneful dry 'kibble' dog food is killing dogs
http://www.wcpo.com/news/national/lawsuit-purina-beneful-dog-food-may-be-killing-dogs

Young said, "We received hundreds of complaints. Nationally, there have been thousands of complaints about dogs who have eaten this dog food by Purina Beneful and suffered very serious side effects, including death."

"The issues are pretty similar across the board," he said, "liver and kidney problems, which results in diarrhea, bloody stool, vomiting, and secondary harm."

Specifically, the suit lists the automotive antifreeze component propylene glycol as a primary ingredient in Beneful’s dog food.

Propylene glycol, a substance the suit says is toxic to cats and dogs, may be included in Beneful’s ingredients list because it helps retain the food’s moisture, according to the suit.

Propylene glycol is a familiar ingredient in food safety cases. Fireball Whisky was recalled in Finland, Sweden, and Norway last October for what some claimed were dangerous levels of the chemical in the product. No recall of the whisky was made in the U.S.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 09:06 pm
This from a Facebook post:

Khristie Collins-Reed

March 4 at 11:40am
I purchased a Real Ham Bone made by Dynamic Pet Products, from Wal-Mart on Sunday 3/1/15. I gave it to Fred, our bassett hound, he chewed on it and ingested some. By Monday morning 3/2/15, he was vomiting and having severe diarrhea. By the afternoon, he was bleeding out of his rectum and we rushed him to the vet. He was put in intensive care and we were told he was so sick, the vet recommended we put him to sleep. I am never going to forgive myself for buying him that deadly treat. Please share this so others don't make the same mistake I did. DYNAMIC PET PRODUCTS (in Missouri) know they've killed dozens of dogs and they still sell them at big retail companies like Sam's Club and Wal-Mart.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2015 05:13 pm
Also a Facebook post:

To all my friends and family. My Dachshund Harley became very ill. Took him to Caring Hearts Vet Clinic. Received a call a bit ago that Harley had passed. They did surgery yesterday evening and found that the treats were blocking his digestive tract, had major inflammation in stomach, colon and pancreas. The vet seems to think he was poisoned. He told me there had been a lot of recalls for the Canine Carryouts and MANY OTHER DOG FOOD AND TREATS. According to research I have done this morning, Del Monte Pet Products, a division of Del Monte Foods, distributes these products. As per some info I found, they do import some of the ingredients from China. Please check you dog's food and treats and if they contain propylene glycol or if they are processed and/or packaged by Del Monte foods STOP feeding them these products. Nestle Purina also distributes these products. Propylene glycol is anti-freeze. ( EDITED SECTION TO CLARIFY) Since so many people are saying that propylene glycol is not anti-freeze, do some research and you will find it is in the supposedly new pet friendly anti-freeze. According to research by myself and others there have been multiple issues with tainted propylene glycol and other ingredients that are imported from China. Many of the pet food company's bags, Del Monte included do not say where they are manufactured, they ONLY SAY DISTRIBUTED BY. If you have any doubts, please take the time to research this for yourself and then you can make the same decision I have. )
This is the the list that I have found that has had recalls in the past:

***WARNING TO ALL DOG OWNERS***
So far, the list of brands with treats have some ingredients made in China, and are not listed on the package or that are being linked to pet illness and deaths are:
Waggin Train
Canyon Creek Ranch
Dogswell
Booda Bones – Aspen Pet
Milo’s Kitchen
American Kennel Club
Hartz
Dingos
*Beefeaters*
Cadet
Sargents
Ever Pet (Dollar General)
Home Pet 360
Walgreen’s new brand – Simple
TheKingdomPets
Benefuk
Beggin' Strips
Pupperoni
Canine Carryout
Snausages
ANYTHING CONTAINING PROPYLENE GLYCOL
If your pet has eaten tainted treats, symptoms may include:
Decreased appetite
Decreased activity
Vomiting
Diarrhea
Increased water consumption
Increased urination
Lethargy
Anal/Rectal bleeding
Seizures.
Also found this shared on a post shared by someone who shared my post:

From the cdc website
Propylene GlycolCAS ID #: 57-55-6
Affected Organ Systems: Dermal (Skin), Renal (Urinary System or Kidneys), Respiratory (From the Nose to the Lungs)

Cancer Effects: None

Chemical Classification: None

Summary: Propylene glycol is a synthetic liquid substance that absorbs water. Propylene glycol is also used to make polyester compounds, and as a base for deicing solutions. Propylene glycol is used by the chemical, food, and pharmaceutical industries as an antifreeze when leakage might lead to contact with food. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has classified propylene glycol as an additive that is “generally recognized as safe” for use in food. It is used to absorb extra water and maintain moisture in certain medicines, cosmetics, or food products. It is a solvent for food colors and flavors, and in the paint and plastics industries. Propylene glycol is also used to create artificial smoke or fog used in fire-fighting training and in theatrical productions. Other names for propylene glycol are 1,2-dihydroxypropane, 1,2-propanediol, methyl glycol, and trimethyl glycol. Propylene glycol is clear, colorless, slightly syrupy liquid at room temperature. It may exist in air in the vapor form, although propylene glycol must be heated or briskly shaken to produce a vapor. Propylene glycol is practically odorless and tasteless. — with Larry DeeWaard.
roger

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2015 05:32 pm
@edgarblythe,
I think most dog kibble contains propylene glycol to retain moisture. It's another case of the dose making the poison. In reasonable quantities, dogs do well with it. Tainted pg is a different matter. It should not be used in kibble meant for cats in any amount.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2015 06:44 pm
@roger,
I went through my dog's goodies and ended throwing out one near full bag of food. I prefer to err on the side of over caution.
roger

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2015 08:38 pm
@edgarblythe,
Probably the right move. Somewhere, I heard that Purina's Benefull was one of the worse things you can give a dog, and it sounds so wholesome.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2015 08:59 pm
@roger,
There is a class action lawsuit against Beneful. Thousands of people have claimed injury or death from that one.