A2Kers, where are you? Where is everyone?

ehBeth

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 07:06 pm
@kickycan,
kickycan wrote:
a thread about how cool it is to watch paint dry now.

that's boomer's territory

maybe you could do something about bedding and thread counts?
dlowan

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 07:06 pm
@kickycan,
I already did it.

http://able2know.org/topic/110617-1
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 07:09 pm
@ehBeth,
Don't START me on bedding and thread counts!!!

I love high thread counts...
ehBeth

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 07:11 pm
@dlowan,
kicky (was it kicky?) had a great thread about what's on your bed? it's one of my all-time a2k favs, much like the mashed potatoes thread on abuzz was one of my favs there.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 07:12 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Don't START me on bedding and thread counts!!!

I love high thread counts...
overly high thread counts are nothing more than egotism run rampant.
dlowan

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 07:18 pm
@dyslexia,
Small thread count, eh?

There, there...
dyslexia

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 07:21 pm
@dlowan,
we have 1000 count and 300 count, the only noticable difference is the cost.
Setanta

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 07:44 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
There's plenty of loonies posting . . . just no interesing ones . . .

Uhm . . . PQ . . . if you thought the fountofwisdom episode was exciting, i'd say you need to get out more, Girl . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 07:46 pm
@Robert Gentel,
The other site i mentioned would list the number of people viewing threads, and then the number of logged-in members. It is immaterial to me, but i wonder if that would be difficult for you, or involve code you'd rather not deal with.
Setanta

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 07:51 pm
@kickycan,
Quote:
I think I'll go start a thread about how cool it is to watch paint dry now.

If it's cool to watch paint dry now, wouldn't it have been cool to watch paint dry in the past? Won't it be cool to watch paint dry in the future?
djjd62

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 07:54 pm
@Setanta,
there won't be paint i the future, it'll all be holograms
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 07:59 pm
@Setanta,
It wouldn't be hard, but that number is moving anyway, it's not useful enough to be on every page (it will probably just be on the home page or somewhere like that), and that's where the link to private messages is going to go.
0 Replies

bathsheba

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 08:01 pm
@msolga,
I do find the new format more frustrating than the old a2k.

I post about the same as usual, maybe less lately because of health issues.

I wasn't that interested in the US election so that did not affect my posting.

I don't like YouTube or Facebook.

I do think a2k tends to be cliqueish in some respects. Although there are many great, supportive folks here....sometimes one feels a bit left out and ignored.
Setanta

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 08:06 pm
@bathsheba,
Quote:
I do think a2k tends to be cliqueish in some respects. Although there are many great, supportive folks here....sometimes one feels a bit left out and ignored.

I think that is a fault of the perceptive vacuum of online conversation. You can't see us, and we can't see you, so if you make a remark which everyone reading accepts, you may not know that it has been noticed and "approved of" because you don't get the eye contact signal, the slight nod, which would signal you in face-t0-face conversation.

Sometimes i have gotten a lonely feeling while posting here (or elsewhere), but then i notice that people responded to me much later than when i had originally posted, or that by the time stamp, they were posting in another thread while i was making my post. People here whom i've met in person, and whom i like sometimes seem to ignore me . . . but this is a much more tenuous form of contact, and i know those people have nothing against me. There is an optimum time of day to communicate with the 'Mer'cans, which is late morning and early afternoon, USA time. For those from Oz, it's about 16 hours later (they're a day ahead of us most of the time).

I hope you will stick around, because i've often enjoyed your posts, even if i haven't taken the time to say as much.
bathsheba

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 08:15 pm
@Setanta,
Oh, I'll stick around, even if I do feel ignored (sniff). Not that I have much of anything interesting to say, but some posters make me laugh with their repartee and I do need something to laugh about lately. The topics are diverse and I like that.

How long have you been at a2k, Setanta?
dlowan

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 08:32 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

we have 1000 count and 300 count, the only noticable difference is the cost.

Nonsense.

You may not be able to feel it, but I bet Diane can.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 08:43 pm
@bathsheba,
Since late in 2002, i don't recall the exact date. Jespah sent me an invite (we had known one another at Abuzz, and had met in Salem, Massachusetts), but i didn't respond immediately.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 09:26 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Taking the opportunity to take a closer look at this thread today. (Been frantically busy, the last couple of days ...)

Quote:
What you do see here is two huge stumbleupon spikes. The first one in December was to the Funny Signs thread, and the second one in Jan/Feb is to the Ostrich in a bar joke thread.

During the spikes, the online count was higher than average, usually for a few weeks. Then it drops back down to normal.

So when you talk about these "spikes", Robert, does this mean higher than average visitors (including A2Kers & others) to particular threads? Just curious to know if participation (ie posts) to these 2 threads was higher than average, too. (Don't worry if this requires time you don't have right now to respond.)
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 09:35 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
So when you talk about these "spikes", Robert, does this mean higher than average visitors (including A2Kers & others) to particular threads?

The majority of those two spikes consisted of new visitors.

Quote:
Just curious to know if participation (ie posts) to these 2 threads was higher than average, too.

On both there were visitors who registered and posted, it's easier to see on the ostrich joke thread where over a dozen new members posted to during the spike.
msolga

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 09:46 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Ah. Thanks, Robert.
0 Replies