A2Kers, where are you? Where is everyone?

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 04:12 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I've seen 500 or a 1000 online at the same time before, which I thought was cool. I wonder how many were bots?

Some of those were large spikes, and others were the maintenance script having a bug that we were wrestling with for a while (it'd also not update the view counts on topics, so if you see a lot of 0-view topics and a large count it usually means the maintenance script stopped for some reason.

And bots generally constitute a handful of the number at any time. There are only a couple of bots that come by every day, and we filter most of them to 1 session per bot instead of how they used to take up one session per page load on the old software.

And the users online versus posting is always going to have a disproportionate ratio. Think of all the books you've read versus the books you've written. Or all the news articles you've read online versus the ones you've added comments to (most of them have places to comment).

There are just always going to be more readers than writers. We get about 10,000 people a day who come from a particular link or search and 80% just read what they came for and leave. 20% or so click further and might read more. Fewer still will register, and then post, and so on. That's par for the course, and there's going to be more passive interactions than active interactions.
Gargamel

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 04:16 pm
@genoves,
genoves wrote:

You are supposed to be a writer , correct? I don't know if you will read this since most people want to wish that I wasn't writing on these threads. But SOME do and I will write for them.

Since I presume you have read American Literature, I will answer your query using the words of the great poet -_Walt Whitman--

"I AM LARGE--I CONTAIN MULTITUDES"--Leaves of Grass.

Genoves? Am I going to have to keep you up all night, via your mother, again? Watch it, young man!

I was gonig to leave you alone, until I saw you quoting Whitman. That I will not abide.
msolga

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 04:17 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
Quote:
The fountofwisdom episode was very exciting.

Interesting you mention that, Pentacle Queen. In an earlier post, Robert commented (with graphs) on "peak & trough" A2K periods. The two peak (usage-wise) topics he mentioned surprised me, as I hadn't personally participated in them at all. I'd imagined the peaks to be the US election threads (when the election date was very close & just after - & also the "fount episode".) Maybe they seemed to loom larger (in my perceptions) because both issues lots of regular A2Kers very actively involved?
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 04:19 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
But (& someone correct me if my perception is wrong here) lately I've notice most of the newbies (& there seem to be quite a few of them) tend to be "one-off- topic -posters", who don't really stick around & actually become involved in A2K.

It's always like that. We have thousands of people just come to read. Hundreds who post, and dozens of "regulars". The majority of people who post will always be mainly interested in getting their one thing answered or said. The ones who stick around will always be in the minority.

Think of it in terms of your own participation on the internet.

How many pages have you read, without writing on?
And how many sites that you've written on do you become a regular in?

For us, it's pretty steady, and about 80% of the visitors are just going to read the one page they came for. Out of the 20% who interact further a smaller percentage will register and post. And out of those, a smaller percentage will become a regular.

We've had some new regulars, but yeah, the casual users do outnumber them vastly now just as they always have.

Quote:
Generally with thread topics about a particular personal issue, like a failing marriage, or an unfaithful husband ....

Here's a good example about how these perceptions are so arbitrary. In the next post:

The Pentacle Queen wrote:
There's been hardly any philosophy posts recently, and no screaming newbies on 'relationships and marriage' for my entertainment.

So one person's perception is that we pretty much only get one-off relationship posts, and the other thinks we don't get them any more.

That's the thing with these state of the site perceptions, it tends to be based on the few minutes one user saw what. A couple of anything is all that a user needs to declare a trend in the state of the site.
Foxfyre

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 04:21 pm
@msolga,
I missed out on the "fount" episode. Sad
msolga

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 04:23 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert, I was wondering about ways of encouraging some of the many "oncers" to stick around longer.
msolga

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 04:25 pm
@Foxfyre,
Surprised Really?

But that would have been impossible, Foxfire! Laughing
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 04:25 pm
@msolga,
sticky traps?
msolga

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 04:27 pm
@djjd62,
Bribes? Wink
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 04:40 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
Interesting you mention that, Pentacle Queen. In an earlier post, Robert commented (with graphs) on "peak & trough" A2K periods. The two peak (usage-wise) topics he mentioned surprised me, as I hadn't personally participated in them at all. I'd imagined the peaks to be the US election threads (when the election date was very close & just after - & also the "fount episode".) Maybe they seemed to loom larger (in my perceptions) because both issues lots of regular A2Kers very actively involved?

Well the peaks were largely peaks of casual traffic. The regulars constitute less than 10% of the visits, and the regular user traffic is very different. Here's a graph of the visits from regulars and you can see that it has different peaks and valleys than the site on the whole:

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/4853/regulars.jpg

msolga wrote:
Robert, I was wondering about ways of encouraging some of the many "oncers" to stick around longer.

Less navel gazing is the biggest thing I see in the feedback I get from completely new visitors. For a while I used the signature "Coming up next on able2know, able2know" because it was reflecting the feedback I got.

The new users don't care about the site yet, and don't know any of its members. The easiest way to draw them in is to make the site less self-referential and more broadly interesting to those to whom our drama means nothing.

But to be honest, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Like I keep saying, there are always going to be more casual visitors than addicts. We can do our best to make it an inviting place that more will want to spend time in but the passive interaction will always dwarf the active interaction and the ratio is not something to worry about in itself unless it's trending negatively. And it's really not. We have heaps more casual users now than we did before, just as we always have because most of the folk who come here come to read, and not write.
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 04:43 pm
@Foxfyre,
No you didn't fox- I was arguing with you I seem to remember.
Man, that whole thing was totally fucked up and sensationalist. It was like A2K meets The Daily Star.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 05:03 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Slipping in the odd question here instead of using Contact Us or the Bug thread --
is it only my computer, or can we recently not remove our own tags? I tag a lot and once in a while totally screw up a word or phrase regarding spelling or, worse, fact - and can't get rid of them now, whereas I use to be able to.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 05:33 pm
@ossobuco,
That's a bug, will be fixed shortly.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 05:51 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Great, thanks, sorry for tangent.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 06:06 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
Well yes I remember going a rather pleasant round or two with you PQ, and the name 'fount' rings a bell. But I wasn't part of any issue there I guess. Gee, I always miss all the fun.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 06:24 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

And bots generally constitute a handful of the number at any time. There are only a couple of bots that come by every day, and we filter most of them to 1 session per bot instead of how they used to take up one session per page load on the old software....

Thanks for clarifying, sorry if I misled anyone with my remarks.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 06:38 pm
@jespah,
hehehehe

this thread gives me ads for wrinkle removers and something to do with bed-bugs

gotta love it!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 06:58 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
I don't see how the new format makes it boring.

But it sure as hell is right now. I have no idea why and I don't blame the new format.

Maybe we're all just moving on?

I'll tell you what it is. It's because everybody kept giving me **** for posting all those threads about sex and dirty stuff! And now I've stopped. See what you've all done!?
dlowan

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 07:02 pm
@kickycan,
Piffle.
kickycan

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 07:04 pm
@dlowan,
Yeah, you're probably right.

I think I'll go start a thread about how cool it is to watch paint dry now.