A2Kers, where are you? Where is everyone?

msolga

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 01:32 am
OK, I know it's Sunday night (Oz time) the slowest time of the week, but there are a mere 102 people online. And by far the most of them aren't posting anything!

I may be imagining it, but there seem to be far fewer folk participating than a few months ago. I'm wondering why this is.

Are you:

Less interested in posting now that the US election is over?

Spending a lot more time YouTubing & FaceBooking than before?

Less interested in the internet in general, with more serious things (like making ends meet & holding onto your job in this recession) taking up your time & energy?

Going through one of those "low A2K interest phases" that besets all of us, from time to time?

Or ....?

I'm interested. If indeed you are A2King less, tell us why.
And what you're doing instead.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 44 • Views: 18,703 • Replies: 269

roger

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 01:38 am
@msolga,
'Bout the same, really. Satureday night here, or Sunday morning if you want to be picky.
msolga

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 01:43 am
@roger,
It's good to know there are stalwarts (sp?), roger! Smile

But I have notice a lot of familar faces are either not around at all, or posting less ....
dlowan

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 01:51 am
@msolga,
A2k is boring as bat ****, to me, anyway, right now.

And I can't think of anything to post to interest me or anyone else.

But I am certainly not face-booking or anything!

Just doing heaps of other stuff.

Like I was out shopping earlier today...then reading just now.
msolga

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 01:54 am
@dlowan,
Yeah, I can understand that, Deb.

I find myself posting less because I'm busier than normal (for this time of year) at work, & often posting to the same threads a lot.
roger

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 02:17 am
@msolga,
Oh yes. There a lot of people who only post to certain threads. I was wondering about smorgs the other. She popped up as the last poster on the British thread, and I saw she was all over that particular thread. I've got official status on the Yabberliner as Ship's Rat, but seldom show myself. There are lots of people there you never see elsewhere.
msolga

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 02:22 am
@roger,
Perhaps that could be it, Roger? Many are still here, but segregated in they're own particular interest areas?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 03:20 am
I guess it's a bit silly, in a way ... asking absent folk to tell us why they're not here! Wink
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 03:37 am
@msolga,
I agree with all of the above, especially what Deb wrote. (I've to do a lot of [legal] paperworks, literally thousands of photos want to be 'done', some research work waits to get finished ... and at the moment, the goulash-kind ragout has to be 'watched')
0 Replies

genoves

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 03:53 am
@dlowan,
Is it as boring or stinky as Rabbit ****???
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 05:59 am
@msolga,
I agree with your observation and feel the new set-up of A2k is bugging many people. Privately I have had a number of comments passed on to me by people who can't be bothered anymore and I think that is regretful.

msolga I just wonder how these missing people are going to answer you when they're not here anymore? Smile
Setanta

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 06:07 am
Well, it's just 7:00 am here, which is about 8:00 pm there, i think? At any event, i was up at about 5:00 am, and i've been killing monsters for most of the last two hours, which is far more interesting than this site, especially at this time of day. I enjoy the Oz contribution, but the time doesn't work out right. When i got up, i was listening to the ABC world service for a while, i guess that's your English language service, since i could understand what they were saying. Dutchy's comment about the new site format is accurate, i think. There are some of the "old timers" who have just never "come back," as it were. Others were a long time in showing up here, like Neo, who didn't show up here for a very long time after the format change. Others just haven't shown up at all. The lack of private messaging is one problem. If you don't have someone's e-mail address, and you don't care to publish yours here (too right!), it's harder to keep in personal touch with members whose conversation one enjoys.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 06:12 am
There are two reasons that I am not posting much on A2K. One is that I am finding less and less that interests me. I am not in the mood into getting into arguments with people.

Second, both Mr. P. and myself have been having some major league health problems, and spend a lot of time in doctors' offices. I have found a forum that addresses my primary problem, and am spending some time there, where I can get some information that is relevent to my condition.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 06:22 am
I just realized another reason why i post and read here less often--that is the number of nut cases here. There is a growing list of people whose posts i simply do not read. Even in threads in which i take an interest, if i see one of those idiots is the last person to have posted, i don't look at the thread. One of them showed up in this thread, and fortunately, you all had the good sense to ignore him. But it is simply a far less charming place to come to any longer.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 06:23 am
i go through phases, i'll post all over the place for a few days and then very little for a few days

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 07:08 am
@Dutchy,
I don't really see how the new format really affects anyone, except perhaps those who just don't like change, and didn't hang around long enough to get used to it?

I don't see how the new format makes it boring.

But it sure as hell is right now. I have no idea why and I don't blame the new format.

Maybe we're all just moving on?

I suspect the numbers who are here and not posting just followed a search engine here, looked up what they were interested in, and moved on.

Francis

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 07:35 am
@dlowan,
Deb wrote:
I don't really see how the new format really affects anyone, except perhaps those who just don't like change, and didn't hang around long enough to get used to it?

I do see why it affects ME. And I really do like change.

But change to me means it has to change for better. And I do not see what is better in this new format.

I.E. - Can I find what I said by Christmas, two years ago, easily? NO, I can't!

Can I find what you replied to one of my questions, six or eight months ago? NO, I can't!

Can I send you a PM asking you some stuff that are not worth, or not interesting for anybody else to read? NO, I can't.

I could go on and on..

But I do post less and less.

Maybe because there are less and less people interested in what I post...
dlowan

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 08:12 am
@Francis,
Yeah...the search stuff still isn't good.

I see it affects you...doesn't have a big impact on me though.

Maybe a critical mass of people I like to interact with are hardly here any more, or not at all.

Anyhoo, I still check the place, and if I find anything I am interested in, I post. Sometimes quite a lot.

Other than that, c'est la vie.

Stuff changes and we move on.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 08:33 am
I still come online just as often, but I find less that I can participate in without repeating myself. Some of the threads I usually like get sidetracked by persons I don't care to be involved with, so I wait until the good guys post on there to even read.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 08:39 am
Been busy with Butrflynet's move from California to Albuquerque NM. Hope she arrives safely tomorrow, Monday, towing her car on the back of the U-Haul truck and driving across the desert.

BBB
0 Replies