I'm sitting here watching paint dry!!!!

dlowan

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 07:05 pm
I am!!!!

After seven and a half years, I have finally summoned the courage to begin to paint my place.

I have just put the first sample pot on a little wallette thing I have (my passage kind of goes back in stages...with architectural pillar looking things which can be painted).

A sample pot covered more than half one of those things, and I am watching it dry!!!

And the colours I am trying!

Not at all what I had imagined.

I finally decided to use this company's paints:

http://www.porterspaints.com.au/

And it goes on SO easily!

The paint I am trialling for one wall of my living room is SUPPOSED to be slapped on....it is a stone wash finish.....it is called lead, but on the site's colour charts it just looks black...I just checked...but in the stone wash it isn't....it is kind of a dark grey, inky blue colour, with much more white and texture in it than shows there...

Accent colours are a sort of deep aubergine called Mousse, which I can't find online...and the blue I have just trialled....Oceanus.

But who knows?????

I am thinking of a metal finish for my patio walls...it streaks and ages with time and is very subtle...I can't find it on the chart online.

This is FUN!!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 6,274 • Replies: 97
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 07:09 pm
It's one of my favorite things to do, picking paint colors... absolute play in the doing.

I like grey walls... the front galleries in our old studio were a warm grey. Looked really good, well, to us, and was a great backdrop for art work - paintings, photographs, sculpture... people tended to look good next to it too.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 07:11 pm
I feel better now... I'm in this place near two years and still have the chips on the walls for consideration, other stuff going on. But I can barely wait to get going on the painting.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 07:11 pm
wow, these seem like dark colors. May I ask what color your furniture have?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 07:18 pm
Is it the Lead in the coarse stone finish?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 07:36 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
wow, these seem like dark colors. May I ask what color your furniture have?

The rest of the living room (dirty white right now) will, I think, be Popcorn....and it is a place with huge North facing windows (think south for you wrong side uppers)....the Lead is nowhere near as dark as that irl.

My furniture is very varied...sofas at present are kind of very warm charcoal...with African mudcloth cushions, or crimson ones on the other one, and mudcloth-esque throws. Hopefully, if my current sofa crap ever gets sorted out, they will be warm chocolate leather with the mudcloth stuff still there.....

I have some wenge wood shelves and dining table.......an old Chinese cabinet, an old Indian chest, and a lovely golden brown wood Indonesian bench as a coffee table...ditto another armoire thing that holds the hi fi, which is going to become a linen chest and be moved, I hope.

There are lots of masks...Tibetan and New Guinean and African...on the walls, as well as a black and gold abstract wall hanging, and a red and black Indonesian one, at present...which I think will be going.

The blue and mousse will be going in the corridor....but you will see architectural details of them from the living room.....that leads out to a very light balcony.

If I don't like it, I can paint over!!! I had not expected to choose the colours I did, but they called to my heart......

I also have some old chinese window screens...well, one old and one new, which can be painted for brilliance if I wish....

ossobuco wrote:
I feel better now... I'm in this place near two years and still have the chips on the walls for consideration, other stuff going on. But I can barely wait to get going on the painting.

Dollink!!! Took me five years to cull and hang the art!!! And I am STILL moving it around!!

ehBeth wrote:
Is it the Lead in the coarse stone finish?

It's in Exterior Lime Wash...the interior was a bit too white.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 07:50 pm
That sounds very interesting. The furniture and accessories seem to
go together with the colors. I hope we'll see pictures of the finished
room.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 08:08 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
That sounds very interesting. The furniture and accessories seem to
go together with the colors. I hope we'll see pictures of the finished
room.

Dare I try the Lead now on part of really truly part of the living room wall???

(Gibber......meanwhile, I am watching Mousse dry.....)
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 09:20 pm
You missed a spot.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 09:25 pm
dadpad wrote:
You missed a spot.

All the comebacks to that one that I can think of right now are not fit for a delicate site.

:wink:
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 09:26 pm
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 09:56 pm
dlowan wrote:
dadpad wrote:
You missed a spot.

All the comebacks to that one that I can think of right now are not fit for a delicate site.

Let me just get it for you

Ok so it took a while to find a flirty comeback.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 10:11 pm
Now I am watching Lead dry....wow!!!!!!!

I might just ask them if we can put a hint of Indigo in the top coat....I just want a sort of storm cloud colour....

You can fix my ceiling where I got Lead on it if you want, Dadpad....
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 02:02 am
At least, if it's on the ceiling, it's not because you're a lead foot (or is it?)

Porters Paints have good colours / finishes.

My place is due for a run over, been here 9 years now. Do I have the energy? The whole place is the same colour - a sort of pinky beige, including doors ceilings, carpets, tiles. (bought off the plan - only 2 colour options) If I change one everything else will scream. I've just had the carpets cleaned, and they look good (for pale pink). It's a bit like living in the womb, except for the cat hair!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 02:44 am
margo wrote:
At least, if it's on the ceiling, it's not because you're a lead foot (or is it?)

Porters Paints have good colours / finishes.

My place is due for a run over, been here 9 years now. Do I have the energy? The whole place is the same colour - a sort of pinky beige, including doors ceilings, carpets, tiles. (bought off the plan - only 2 colour options) If I change one everything else will scream. I've just had the carpets cleaned, and they look good (for pale pink). It's a bit like living in the womb, except for the cat hair!

Oh my!!!!!! Pink.

Oh my.

Coat one of feature wall completed.

So different!!!!!

The colour makes everything stand out against it...like in storm light....you know that effect? I think I love it.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 03:04 am
Have fun and don't forget to stir early and often. My Bro spent a day taping and painting a particularly busy hallway only to have the fancy paint distribute it's particles to haphazardly to look like anything but an error. He and his wife are so far still trying to like it, but I don't think it'll work.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 04:30 am
My..er..particles seem happy.

Man...it's so different at night! The wall eats light.........it's amazing.....

Ow...my body!!!

Although the paint is so easy, I was tippy-toeing on a chair and stretching full-length to get to the top of the wall....and having to hop up and down from the chair.....then all the kneeling......who needs a gym????
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 10:34 pm
dlowan wrote:

Oh my!!!!!! Pink.

Oh my.

So different!!!!!

The colour makes everything stand out against it...like in storm light....you know that effect? I think I love it.

It's quite a good pink, really - you almost don't notice it's pink, it's just not white, or cream. Mist rooms are very light, so the colours provide a bit of a neutral background for my paintings and stuff (no masks in this house!). If you look at the Porters pinks, it's sort of "Cupcake" shade, but much, much lighter, an almost no-colour of that.

I love the look of things when there's a storm around - everything seems to be really charged and alive. Is that the sort of look you're getting?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 10:50 pm
margo wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Oh my!!!!!! Pink.

Oh my.

So different!!!!!

It's quite a good pink, really - you almost don't notice it's pink, it's just not white, or cream. Mist rooms are very light, so the colours provide a bit of a neutral background for my paintings and stuff (no masks in this house!). If you look at the Porters pinks, it's sort of "Cupcake" shade, but much, much lighter, an almost no-colour of that.

I love the look of things when there's a storm around - everything seems to be really charged and alive. Is that the sort of look you're getting?

Hopefully so!!!!!

I had them add some indigo to the topcoat...I really want that storm cloud colour.......anxiously watching right now as the first patch of topcoat begins to dry.......
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 10:53 pm
I hope we'll see a picture of that, dlowan!
0 Replies