Are You Ready For Fantasy Baseball - 2009?

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2009 01:21 pm
@realjohnboy,
What does everybody here do for a living I wonder? El Stud and I are partially retired but we continue to run a small business out of our home--provide technical services to insurance companies.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2009 02:06 pm
@mysteryman,
Here is a true story, MM:
When I was a lad of about 10, I was in church on a Sunday morning. We had a totally volunteer fire department. Calls were sent out not by toning or texting, but by very large honking of a horn atop city hall. 1-2-2 meant the fire was in a certain neighborhood; 2-1-3 meant another.
The priest that Sunday was new. It may have been his first sermon. Barely into it, the horn went off. 8 men got up and left. The priest started over, but the horn went off again with the same code. Very loud.
Jim M, a stalwart of the church, a member of our VA House of Delegates, and the father of 8 sons, stuck his head in a side door of the church, and having exchanged his suit for fire fighting gear, caught the eye of one of his sons. Off went the 13-18 year old boys.
The priest tried again, but the horn went off and we began smelling smoke. He gave up.

The Woolworth's store was on fire on Main Street. And most of the other buildings adjacent were made of wood and in danger. The trained volunteer firemen did what they know what to do. But the M family boys and many others pulled hoses to hydrants or did whatever they were told to do by someone who they probably knew in some other capacity. Employer, employee. Whatever
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2009 03:05 pm
@Gargamel,
If that .280 BA counts for Triple-A, I have just the man for you. Let me introduce you to Dusty Ryan... ready to make that trade now?
jespah

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2009 04:08 pm
@jpinMilwaukee,
http://skinnypuppy.com/
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2009 05:56 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
If the current league standings are an indicator of things to come, I have no way to go but up, but at least I'm ahead of the Ticomaniacs. Smile

Enjoy it while it lasts, Foxy.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 08:35 am
@jpinMilwaukee,
I so didn't account for two catchers in my pre-draft rankings. Now I got some phenom backup for the Rangers who will get, oh, 58 at bats?
Ticomaya

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 01:05 pm
@Gargamel,
Gargamel wrote:
I so didn't account for two catchers in my pre-draft rankings. Now I got some phenom backup for the Rangers who will get, oh, 58 at bats?

Yes ... I meant to congratulate you on that pickup. And just two picks behind Saltalamacchia. What a steal.
Gargamel

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 02:09 pm
@Ticomaya,
Sandoval was a nice grab--I say that without irony. I should have pushed him up a few pre-draft spots.
Ticomaya

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 04:30 pm
@Gargamel,
I pushed him up a LOT of pre-draft spots. We'll see how that works out for me ....
Gargamel

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2009 01:42 pm
@Ticomaya,
Question: is there a limit to total starts for our SPs?
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2009 03:01 pm
@Gargamel,
Do you mean how many SP's on one day?
jespah

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2009 03:23 pm
@realjohnboy,
I believe it's 4. You get 2 SP slots and 2 P spots which can be either starters or relievers.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2009 03:33 pm
Nah, I mean a season total for all pitchers combined. By all appearances it looks indefinite.

Curious because this is my first head-to-head league. I guess the limit makes sense for rotisserie leagues.
Ticomaya

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2009 04:32 pm
@Gargamel,
No limit.

(Note: Minimum innings pitched per week is 10.)
Foxfyre

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2009 04:39 pm
@Ticomaya,
Okay as a point of clarification, why that minimum?

And that does mean a composite minimum--all my pitchers have to pitch 10 innings among them?
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2009 04:53 pm
@Foxfyre,
Yes, 10 innings combined by all your guys. I don't know why Yahoo has that rule. I reckon there is a scenario that would cause a manager here to bench all of the pitchers after one really strong performance by one guy. I have never seen this become an issue here.
Foxfyre

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2009 04:59 pm
@realjohnboy,
Okay. Thanks. We were just curious.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2009 05:44 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:
I reckon there is a scenario that would cause a manager here to bench all of the pitchers after one really strong performance by one guy. I have never seen this become an issue here.

I seem to recall having done that against the Rednecks prior to the new rule being implemented.

I think JP called it the "Tico" rule .......
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2009 06:47 pm
@Ticomaya,
Tico, take one of the blue pills and one of the yellow ones. You are getting quite delusional.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 06:11 pm
Note that Gargamel is wheeling and dealing (adds, drops, trades) at a rapid clip. He evidentally, unlike most of the rest of us, knows baseball.
0 Replies