Are You Ready For Fantasy Baseball - 2009?

Gargamel

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 06:17 pm
We'll see about that. I also have some compulsive tendencies.

Off to wash my hands. Again.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2009 07:13 pm
Okay. Okay. ARE YALL READY FOR SOME BASEBALL? The MLB season starts on Sunday, April 5th. Our 1st week of matchup play runs through the following Sunday, the 12th. Time to start setting your lineups.
I am psyched!
My opponent the 1st week is the lushies. I think that is Pantalones. I hope he notices that 2 of his guys are on IR.
jespah

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2009 04:01 am
@realjohnboy,
W00p! I am ready! Tubas, you are goin' down!
Gargamel

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2009 08:47 am
@jespah,
I see that I am playing the Red Sox, basically. But I think you should pick up 'Tek.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2009 10:41 am
The desert Ticos are ready for the Desert Sandpaws. I'm anxious to see how my boys perform when the bright lights are turned on. I'm hopeful my pitching staff will surprise me -- but I'm not holding my breath.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2009 11:51 am
Still learning the routine for the baseball league here. In football you could see the power rating of one team versus its opponent on the matchup page. Is there anything comparable to look for in baseball?
Ticomaya

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2009 12:07 pm
@Foxfyre,
Not really. But if you smack talk really hard you might intimidate your opponent!

Football only has one game a week, so it's relatively easy to evaluate a particular player's chances against that particular defense each week, and attempt to predict results. In baseball, the only close equivalent is you can look at each of your players and see how they have done in prior meetings with their opponent for each upcoming game. In other words, I can look at Jose Lopez (for example) and see how he's previously fared against the pitcher he's facing in his next game. Thus, if Jose can't hit Liriano (for example), I might not play him that day, etc.
Foxfyre

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2009 12:13 pm
@Ticomaya,
Hmmm okay. (Knowing I won't have or take time to do that much, dusting off the Ouiji board again. . . . .)

Can't smack talk my opponent much this week. He's close enough to hide my pencils.
jespah

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2009 03:53 am
@Foxfyre,
This is a site Osso found a few years ago. Helpful re who's likely to play versus who's about to come off the D/L, etc.
http://64.246.64.33/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=kansascity2&page=mlb/injuries/injuryal.aspx
Click on the links under American League or National League as needed. This link happens to go to the American League, but since my teams are always very AL-centric, that works for me. Hope this helps.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2009 09:10 am
@jespah,
What I can't find yet this year is the CBS link I used to click on to see the schedule for the next bunch of days that had the games listed and innings lined up as well as starting pitchers.. where you could follow a game log re who was up to bat, who walked, etc.
I'm figuring that has just not started up yet for this coming week, but if I can't find something like that, I'll become disgruntled indeed.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2009 12:46 pm
I am in the market for a catcher. Will trade.
Gargamel

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2009 02:06 pm
@alex240101,
Keep your mitts off my trio of MLB's most mediocre backstops.
Foxfyre

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2009 02:09 pm
@Gargamel,
Last night ElStud was fishing for a catcher as one of his top draftees has been sent down to the minors for a few weeks. He finally picked one off the list that might possibiby or at least has a chance of getting some playing time. The pickings are really slim for catchers out there.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2009 04:29 pm
@jespah,
Hate to give away all my secrets, but:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/fantasy/wsfb/news/injuries.jsp
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2009 04:56 pm
Thanks to Jes, Tico et al for divulging all these trade secrets. (They know darn well we won't know how to utilize them, but it was a nice gesture anyway.)
realjohnboy

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2009 07:27 pm
@Foxfyre,
I don't use that stuff. Tico is serious about this. Yall do know, I hope, that below your avatar after clicking My Team is a Line Up line by date. Click on a date and it will show you which of your players have games that day. You can move them around for that day and then go on to the next day and change them around again.
If a < appears next to one of your SP, that means he is penciled in to start on that day.
So you can, as I suggested when I was trolling for players, set your entire lineup for a week in one sitting. and be done. But injuries or rainouts can throw things off. Since the season is new and you may not be familiar with your guys, you can click 2008 to see how they performed. That is right below the Line Up line, as I recall. I met my guys when they all came to the house for a cook-out, but I find that useful.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2009 07:44 pm
@realjohnboy,
I haven't checked today, rjb, but it didn't do that yesterday, except for one player.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2009 07:46 pm
@ossobuco,
Ok, it's showing more days and more players now. That's good.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2009 08:07 pm
@ossobuco,
But, the carat thingies (^) aren't up for many days yet. So it goes.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2009 08:19 pm
@ossobuco,
Yeah. Lineups are being finalized for the start of the season.
By the way, when you click on My Team and the listing of your players comes up there is this: Roster Edit Type---Drop and Drag---Classic. It is over on the right hand side just above the chart of your players. Yahoo has the Default setting on Drop and Drag, which I and my computer find cumbersome. Change it to Classic. You can always switch back if you prefer.
0 Replies