Are You Ready For Fantasy Baseball - 2009?

Rockhead

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 03:52 pm
I believe touchdowns are 6 points.

(could be wrong, no TV access here and all.)
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 03:59 pm
The scoring rules for the "Ha! Ha! The A2K NFL Pick-um Game" will appear on THAT thread in a bit.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 04:30 pm
@realjohnboy,
That's news to me just now - speaking from my refurbished computer, with a gee whiz for it so far (it's been twenty minutes.)
I gather from some discussion with the secundo in a two man office that my mac has been hard drive lame for quite a while, thus explaining a lot).

Sorry, Alex - we'll meet again. I'll bring the garlic.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 04:46 pm
@Rockhead,
To Tico - The point thing is too advanced for me... next year I'll pay attention to it re choosing players. This year was straange. I'm not sure if the draft noticed my list or not. So it goes.

To Spendi - I didn't watch sports at all for years at a time - though I was oligo avid for some years off and on.. I take it as a game with conversation here on a2k.
I did look into the derivation of one's percentage point on this baseball thread - and it's not simply about games won. Molto interessante e complicato. No link, since I lost all my links in the computer-folderama.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 04:50 pm
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
So, yes ... there's an incentive to finish last.

Could you enlarge on that please? Do they go back to their Mums comforting them? Is that the attraction?
spendius

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 04:52 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:

Are you actually saying Rocky that posters here are not singing from the same sheet on how points are accredited?

That's ******* amazing!!
spendius

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 04:59 pm
@spendius,
It's got me wondering if the anti-IDers on the evolution threads think that talking about Darwin is the same as Darwinianism. I had suspected as much. That it is nothing more that a subject with cachet if you got up the right buzzwords and there was no need to know what is being talked about.

Evelyn Waugh said that Americans don't expect you to listen to what they are saying.

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 05:01 pm
@spendius,
So we have trollerama?
spendius

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 05:05 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm really confused osso.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 05:36 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

(could be wrong, no TV access here and all.)

Yes ... 6 points. That has not changed in the many years since you had TV access.

Upon kicking an extra point, the 7th point would be attained ...
Ticomaya

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 05:40 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
Tico wrote:
So, yes ... there's an incentive to finish last.

Could you enlarge on that please?

The team that finishes in last place gets the best player in the next draft (first pick in the draft). Thus, an incentive to finish last.

Quote:
Do they go back to their Mums comforting them? Is that the attraction?

Did you honestly extrapolate that from what I wrote? Or are you just trying to take a shot and insinuate soccer players are tougher than NFL players? (... an issue we covered about 2 years ago, I believe.)
spendius

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 05:40 pm
@Ticomaya,
I've never seen anybody miss kicking the extra point yet. No doubt it must have happened.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 05:44 pm
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
The team that finishes in last place gets the best player in the next draft (first pick in the draft). Thus, an incentive to finish last.

That's ridiculous. Restraint of trade at least. Highest bidder gets the best players here.

Who says who is the best player?
Ticomaya

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 05:54 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
Who says who is the best player?

Well, the team that gets first pick gets the first pick ... and one presumes they will pick whom they believe is the best player.

Quote:
Highest bidder gets the best players here.

Who says who is the best player over there?
spendius

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 06:03 pm
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
Who says who is the best player over there?

Nobody. They bid and they take a chance.

The objective here is to win the Champions League which is international.

What happens over there if two teams are at the bottom and both want the same player and are playing each other in the last match to decide. Don't you get a match between two teams both trying to lose? That's really ridiculous.

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 06:39 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
What happens over there if two teams are at the bottom and both want the same player and are playing each other in the last match to decide. Don't you get a match between two teams both trying to lose? That's really ridiculous.

I suppose it's theoretically possible, but unlikely, given they might be in different Conferences, or the schedule just didn't work out for that to happen ... but truthfully, I'm not aware whether that scenario has ever occurred.

But one can also say it's ridiculous that the team with the biggest bankroll gets the "best" players.
George

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 08:31 pm
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
But one can also say it's ridiculous that the team with the biggest bankroll gets
the "best" players.

Maybe not in the draft . . .
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 05:06 pm
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
But one can also say it's ridiculous that the team with the biggest bankroll gets the "best" players.

Of course you can say it. You can say anything. But it's the policy of UEFA. It makes the Champion's League that much better and that is the major annual competition in Europe. In the world too. It has important cultural implications.

You can't do it because your sport is internal to the US. And because you have no relegation. I really can't understand that.

What happens when the "best" player, I assume from college games, doesn't wish to play for the team that picks him. You can play for a top team here at 16 (I think). Certainly 17.

Why are you so reticent about doing a longish post explaining it?

I'm often told that my posts are incoherent and I read them over and they are just as simple as I tried to make them.

Maybe the American attention span snaps at more than a line and a half and I have to take the blame seeing as how Americans cannot have faults. And from what I understand of your major sports they deal in short plays with relaxing intervals to give voice to the sponsor. Maybe that's where you learn to only concentrate in quantum spurts.
George

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 05:12 pm
@spendius,
Wait. What?
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 05:49 pm
@George,
Don't worry George. Some of us have become quite proficient in Spendi-speak and we'll translate as necessary. Smile

(Except when we can't of course.)
0 Replies