Are You Ready For Fantasy Baseball - 2009?

alex240101

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 10:51 am
@realjohnboy,
Sequence. Baseball 08 Eleventh of Twelve teams.
Football 08 Fourteenth out of fourteen teams.
Baseball this year. Oh baby, broke through and past the ten spot. Ninth.
Ticomaya

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 11:46 am
@alex240101,
alex240101 wrote:
Sequence. Baseball 08 Eleventh of Twelve teams.
Football 08 Fourteenth out of fourteen teams.
Baseball this year. Oh baby, broke through and past the ten spot. Ninth.

Three steps back, five steps forward ... keep this up, Alex, and in 10 years you just might win the whole thing.
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 01:41 pm
I looked around the championship play-off roster. Congrats to Osso who squeaked in just a hair above Alex.
spendius

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 02:09 pm
@Ticomaya,
What's going on Tico? How does osso "squeak a hair" when we haven't started yet?

Have we started?

And why do you all use place names rather than the names the teams chose? It's not poetic. It's pedantic. Carolina is not playing. It's the Panthers who are playing.

What does this lot mean?

Quote:
Carolina Panthers NFC NCS 0 4 0 .000 57 89 -32 6 0-2 0-2 0-0 .000 0-1 .000 0-3 4L 0-4

They are second bottom in the League. Is there a relegation zone?

Rockhead

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 02:11 pm
@spendius,
Spendi, you are not only on the wrong thread, you've got the wrong sport as well.

hope your day gets better, old chap...
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 02:20 pm
@Rockhead,
Ha. I hope you will join us on the NFL Pick-um thread. We are up to some 25-odd players.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 02:28 pm
@realjohnboy,
still contemplating whether the experience would be enjoyable for me, rjb.

i'll let you know before midnight...
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 02:41 pm
@spendius,
What's the title of this goddamned thread, Spendi? Shouldn't you figure out what exactly is happening around you before you start criticizing others' word choice?
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 02:50 pm
@Gargamel,
sooooo, Gargamel. I hope you join us on the A2K NFL Pick-Um thread. I am on target for a record number of players. Thanks.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 03:30 pm
@Gargamel,
Sorry. I get confused with my fantasies.

I'm just trying to pick up some clues about your national sports.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 03:32 pm
Congratulations to the eight top teams. Given how slow they started out, who would have picked McG and Tico for high ranking seeds in those early weeks. Just goes to show that you never know for sure until the game is played.

But wait until next year. . . .
George

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 03:39 pm
@Foxfyre,
Tico scares me.
I think it's the cigar.
Foxfyre

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 05:18 pm
@George,
George wrote:

Tico scares me.
I think it's the cigar.

I think that was his intent. It's working is it?
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 05:28 pm
@Foxfyre,
Tico starts the week with a CG/SO. He's smokin'
jespah

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 04:00 am
@realjohnboy,
Good luck to all of the playoff contenders but I gotta say I'm rooting for Ipswitch.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 01:19 pm
@spendius,
Hey, spendius.

spendius wrote:
Have we started?

No, the NFL "Pick Um" game hasn't started. As others have gently pointed out, wrong thread.

Quote:
And why do you all use place names rather than the names the teams chose? It's not poetic. It's pedantic. Carolina is not playing. It's the Panthers who are playing.

Because we like to, and we can. Around here we occasionally call the AZ Cardinals the "Red Birds" ... again, we only do it because we want to.

Quote:
What does this lot mean?

Quote:
Carolina Panthers NFC NCS 0 4 0 .000 57 89 -32 6 0-2 0-2 0-0 .000 0-1 .000 0-3 4L 0-4

That is Carolina's line for this year's preseason. They are in the NFC (National Football Conference) in the South division. Those numbers relate to the following: Wins, Losses, Ties, Winning Percentage, Points For, Points Against, Net Points, Touchdowns, Home Record, Road Record, Division Record, Division Winning Percentage, Conference Record, Conference Winning Percentage, Current Streak, Record in Last 5 games.

Quote:
They are second bottom in the League. Is there a relegation zone?

No such critter. Anyway, this is just preseason ... they might win the Super Bowl!
George

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 02:23 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxie wrote:
George wrote:
Tico scares me.
I think it's the cigar.

I think that was his intent. It's working is it?

Yes.
I'm skittish.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 02:26 pm
@George,
George wrote:
Tico scares me.

Perfectly understandable, George.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 03:32 pm
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
As others have gently pointed out, wrong thread.

My confidence that you could deal with it has been justified.

How are points scored?

If there's no relegation what do they play for in the bottom positions near the end of the season. In our football the bottom 3 get relegated from the Premiership to the Championship. And every year the scrap between the bottom six or seven at the end of the season is fierce and often more exciting than the battle at the top. There's a lot of money at stake.

Plus there's the fight for the top three places in the Championship to win promotion.
Ticomaya

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 03:48 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
As others have gently pointed out, wrong thread.

My confidence that you could deal with it has been justified.

Well, sure ... we're just in the wrong thread is all.

Quote:
How are points scored?

7 points for a touchdown (pass or run); 3 points for a kicked field goal (the only kind); 1 point for a traditional kicked extra point, following a touchdown; 2 points for a non-traditional 2 points extra points (run or pass) following a touchdown.

Quote:
If there's no relegation what do they play for in the bottom positions near the end of the season.

They play for pride and team spirit!

They are also playing for the next year's draft position. Generally speaking, a team's draft position is based upon their regular season record. So, yes ... there's an incentive to finish last.