POLITICAL RIDICULE

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 03:13 am
The folks who scream the loudest against ridiculing obama for being african
( cartoons, etc. )
are the same ones that ridiculed W for being stupid.

I wonder what the reasoning of that is ?

Does the First Amendment apply in one case,
but not the other ?

David
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 1,844 • Replies: 42
No top replies

aidan

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 03:22 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Well, it wouldn't have been such a big deal had someone been 'stupid' (not a word I'd use to describe a person myself) except if s/he were elected to the highest office of the most powerful country in the world.

I'm not saying George Bush is stupid. But he's a bungler for sure - and we need the president to be a little more self-contained and coolly competent AND actually more intelligent than the average person- in my opinion.

I agree with what you're saying though - people don't allow these men to be people with faults - they expect perfection and when its inevitably not forthcoming - they react with scorn and vitriol- and as school yard bullies everywhere do-attack the person's most obviously apparent area of weakness.

For Obama this is race (not that I think his race is a weakness - but people know it's an area of sensitivity for him). For Bush it was his perceived lack of intelligence.

None of it really means anything.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 03:34 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Well, it wouldn't have been such a big deal had someone been 'stupid' (not a word I'd use to describe a person myself) except if s/he were elected to the highest office of the most powerful country in the world.

I'm not saying George Bush is stupid. But he's a bungler for sure - and we need the president to be a little more self-contained and coolly competent AND actually more intelligent than the average person- in my opinion.

I agree with what you're saying though - people don't allow these men to be people with faults - they expect perfection and when its inevitably not forthcoming - they react with scorn and vitriol- and as school yard bullies everywhere do-attack the person's most obviously apparent area of weakness.

For Obama this is race (not that I think his race is a weakness - but people know it's an area of sensitivity for him). For Bush it was his perceived lack of intelligence.

None of it really means anything.

AGREED.
No one has any duty to stifle the expression of his opinions,
as the politically correct people imply that thay do.

David
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 05:20 am
Speaking for myself, I called Bush every bad name I could think of, because he is a criminal. So far, Obama has not struck me as a criminal.
revel

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 07:20 am
@OmSigDAVID,
First of all criticizing people for having cartoons about Obama's race is not trying to restrict freedom of speech. People are free to talk and other people are free to express their opinions of what they say.

Second, there is difference in implying or outright saying someone is stupid and talking about a person's race in a negative way; although both are not really needful IMO. There should be nothing wrong with a person's race to warrant cartoon's being made.

Thirdly like the previous poster said, the President should be more competent and less bumbling along than the average person. On the other hand, the President can be black without it affecting his or her performance.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 08:36 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
The folks who scream the loudest against ridiculing obama for being african ( cartoons, etc. ) are the same ones that ridiculed W for being stupid.

This is an unsubstantiated claim--as such, it is typical of the kind of idiocy one can expect from conservative sore losers, and from this member in particular.

Obvious, David is peeing his pants over the New York Post cartoon controversy. Note his language, he doesn't admit that racism is involved, he states that Obama is being ridiculed for being African. What a clown.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 12:54 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Speaking for myself, I called Bush every bad name I could think of, because he is a criminal. So far, Obama has not struck me as a criminal.

Which criminal statutes or statute do u allege
that he violated ?
genoves

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 01:03 am
@OmSigDAVID,
He won't tell you,Om Sig, because he may know that there are no criminal statutes that Bush violated. You know, of course, that Slick Willie was censured by a judge and had to pay a stiff fine. No such problem has arisen for Bush.

Many on these posts have no idea of the kind of evidence needed to prove that a person is guilty of a crime.

The reverse racism of the left is hilarious. I can easily find dozens of comments,usually from garbage sites like Move On.org which referred to Bush as "chimpy", But,of course, we would never..........
0 Replies

genoves

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 01:17 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Om Sig David--There is data available to show that George W.Bush had an IQ of about 120,notwithstanding the smarmy comments by the left who regularly make fun of Bush's pronunciation of Nuclear but never comment of a similar pronounciation of Nuclear by the revered Jimmy Carter.

And, unlike the far left, who I am certain understood every word uttered by the lst whoremonger president,Jack Kennedy,I had difficulty deciphering his Bostonian accent when he intoned--I left the Cah by the Pak by the Yad.

You know, of course, OmSig,that a 120 IQ is a score which exceeds 80% of the population.

But, I am sure that Obama's IQ is much higher than Bush's. I have, however, been unable to discover anything about Obama's scholastic record at Occidental College in California and his scholastic record at Columbia.

Strangely, he does not mention grades or scholastic honors in either of his two books.

Some wags mention that he did not want to reveal his reliance on Affirmative Action, but, of course, that is probably just gossip!
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 01:20 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Did u call Clinton, or Hillary a criminal ?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 01:27 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Speaking for myself, I called Bush every bad name I could think of, because he is a criminal.
So far, Obama has not struck me as a criminal.

Did u call Ted Kennedy any "bad name" because of his getting thrown
out of Harvard for his cheating, or for his killing Mary Jo Kopeckne?

If not, what was the reason for the difference ?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 01:29 am
@genoves,
genoves wrote:

Om Sig David--There is data available to show that George W.Bush had an IQ of about 120,notwithstanding the smarmy comments by the left who regularly make fun of Bush's pronunciation of Nuclear but never comment of a similar pronounciation of Nuclear by the revered Jimmy Carter.

And, unlike the far left, who I am certain understood every word uttered by the lst whoremonger president,Jack Kennedy,I had difficulty deciphering his Bostonian accent when he intoned--I left the Cah by the Pak by the Yad.

You know, of course, OmSig,that a 120 IQ is a score which exceeds 80% of the population.

But, I am sure that Obama's IQ is much higher than Bush's. I have, however, been unable to discover anything about Obama's scholastic record at Occidental College in California and his scholastic record at Columbia.

Strangely, he does not mention grades or scholastic honors in either of his two books.

Some wags mention that he did not want to reveal his reliance on Affirmative Action, but, of course,
that is probably just gossip!

Leftists do nt seem to have much objection
to Kennedy 's cowardly betrayal of the heroic Anti-communist Freedom Fighters, either.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 01:58 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

( cartoons, etc. )

Probably for the same reason that the folks who defended W when people called him stupid are the same ones who happily accept Obama being ridiculed for being African.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 08:44 am
@kickycan,
kickycan wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

( cartoons, etc. )

Probably for the same reason that the folks who defended W when people called him stupid are the same ones who happily accept Obama being ridiculed for being African.

That's the best answer of all.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 09:42 am
when someone consistently acts stupidly then you can expect them to be mocked for being stupid.

Obama doesn't act black or do anything overt to bring on ridicule over that fact. He is just a black man by birth. And not even entirely black at that.

I respectfully find your comparison pretty weak.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 01:27 pm
@kickycan,
kickycan wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

( cartoons, etc. )

Probably for the same reason that the folks who defended W when people called him stupid
are the same ones who happily accept Obama being ridiculed for being African.

for all the good it does
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 01:29 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

when someone consistently acts stupidly then you can expect them to be mocked for being stupid.

Obama doesn't act black or do anything overt to bring on ridicule over that fact. He is just a black man by birth.
And not even entirely black at that.

I remember Reagan being mocked for being old.
It really was not his fault
that the electorate waited for several cycles before electing him.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 01:45 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Obama doesn't act black or do anything overt to bring on ridicule over that fact. He is just a black man by birth.

I concede that:
Quote:
Obama doesn't act black or do anything overt to bring on ridicule over that fact. . . .

However,
it occurs to me that, for example,
the Kennedys did stupid things (that I will enumerate, if u ask),
but we freedom lovers did not ridicule them for stupidity.

(Treason or malice, yes; stupidity no)
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 01:57 pm
Back when the campaign was in full swing and I had voiced my concerns about Senator Obama, I was accused of being afraid of a 'black President'. I agreed. I did not want a BLACK president. I didn't however, care one way or another if we had a president who happend to be black.

The difference is illustrated in that cartoon. If President Obama was a blue eyed blond, the cartoonist would have almost certainly used the same drawing with the same caption. The President's disciples, however, would not have related it to a racist image but would have seen it as an insult against a stimulus package obvously designed by a monkey which is almost certainly what the cartoonist intended.

But because the President is a black man and those who claim moral superiority re their attitudes on race will never allow anybody to treat him as anything other than a black man, we are advised that of course the cartoon is racist. And I think we can look forward to having virtually every criticism, complaint, observation, or interpretation for the next four years being evaluated within the prism of racism.

And that is why I didn't want a BLACK president. I want a president that I can treat like any other occupant of that office and not have to carefully measure every word and walk on eggshells to avoid the conversation dissolving into another assertion of racism.

I wish Barack Obama could be a president who just happens to be black.
kickycan

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 03:06 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

kickycan wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

( cartoons, etc. )

Probably for the same reason that the folks who defended W when people called him stupid
are the same ones who happily accept Obama being ridiculed for being African.

for all the good it does

Are you saying you agree with me?