what about the war on drugs?

blatham

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 07:41 pm
bongstar

No, I don't think you are lacking perspective in this. It's an interesting story, both the history of attitudes towards 'drugs' in the US (and elsewhere...eg in Vancouver, opium was made illegal coincident with a wave of anti-Asian racism) and in the history of how various US agencies have bullied and threatened other nations to fall into line with their nuttiness on this issue. Go ahead and read all you can get your hands on. I'll guarantee you that if you carefully study Cav's link and mine, you'll be better educated on this issue than 99% of the folks in your state.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 09:34 pm
Anyone know why the other Bongstar-initiated thread is locked?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 10:09 pm
Yeppers bongstar, read it all, and think of the links as proper ammunition for your argument.
0 Replies

bongstar420

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 11:12 am
cavfancier wrote:
What Blatham said bongstar, regarding my comment....I have read many new studies on the beneficial uses of pot, but I never knew that it cured the effects of irony.

I know that, I ment what lola said
0 Replies

bongstar420

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 11:15 am
joefromchicago wrote:

Im pretty sure its because I slipped and called you a name.

I shouldnt have done that, but I cant really go back in time and fix that.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 11:27 am
bongstar420 wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:

Oh. I thought it might have been locked down because Craven's big testicle ran amok.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 11:32 am
Nah, when it gets out of hand I treat it like a bean bag. Pretty comfy.
0 Replies

bongstar420

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 11:38 am
blatham wrote:
bongstar

No, I don't think you are lacking perspective in this. It's an interesting story, both the history of attitudes towards 'drugs' in the US (and elsewhere...eg in Vancouver, opium was made illegal coincident with a wave of anti-Asian racism) and in the history of how various US agencies have bullied and threatened other nations to fall into line with their nuttiness on this issue. Go ahead and read all you can get your hands on. I'll guarantee you that if you carefully study Cav's link and mine, you'll be better educated on this issue than 99% of the folks in your state.

The problem is that alot of them completly disregard any information that they dont agree with due to years of propaganda. So when I try to talk sensibly I do nothing more than sound like a crazy drug addict who is promoting anarchy. I dont like hard drugs like heroin, meth, extacy, coaine, etc. I do like hallucinogens, but only with the highest respect to the learning experience. There is evidence that when they are properly used, one may benefit on a whole multitude of levels. But you must be prepared, and properly educated on handeling situations properly. Baby sitters are very important.

Anyways, just because I hate a drug doesnt mean that I approve of the way we handle things. At least there is other countrys that are changing leglislation for the better.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 11:47 am
There's a simple axiom that says that when prosecuting a behavior does more damage to society than the behavior, you need to stop prosecuting the behavior. I have thought for some time that our absurd war on drugs fell squarely into this category.

It isn't that drugs don't cause harm. It isn't that decriminalizing drugs wouldn't cause problems. It's just that I think it would cause fewer problems than do our attempts to stop people from selling, buying and using drugs.
0 Replies

bongstar420

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 11:58 am
joefromchicago wrote:
bongstar420 wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:

Oh. I thought it might have been locked down because Craven's big testicle ran amok.

Your funny, Laughing :wink:
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 12:06 pm
I've never used drugs, unless you include booze & tobacco as drugs.

How much does a drug fix cost ? If it was decriminalised presumably the cost of a fix would fall.

Last week London cops with Columbia assistants busted a big drug ring, £100 million of stuff had been dealt.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/3134720.stm

My own local county police force also had a big drugs bust in August worth £12 million.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/beds/bucks/herts/3118857.stm

If the stuff was sold street legal, the Goverment could have a nice little tax earner in the annual budget. But then again, that would start a very big controversy.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 03:30 pm
My God! Scrat,

We actually agree on something. How pleasant.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 03:48 pm
Booze, huh -- yes it's a drug and just as powerful as any other drug, just as detremental to one's health if abused and the number one in substances used while commiting a crime.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 07:52 pm
Well hello scrat...it's been a while. We are in agreement here.

bongstar

Don't concern yourself too much with folks who speak prejudice or who merely repeat some received wisdom they've been handed. Your first responsibility is to learn as much as you can, for yourself. But a consequence of that will be an increased ability to change minds. Or at least, get 'em doubting.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 08:05 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
Booze, huh -- yes it's a drug and just as powerful as any other drug, just as detremental to one's health if abused and the number one in substances used while commiting a crime.

Actually, it is more powerful for most people -- and more addictive for most people than most of the recreational drugs.

It is as likely to be abused as any other drug -- and is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more likely to lead to violence, because of use, than pot, cocaine, or heroin.

In fact, the majority of crime associated with the recreational drugs outside of booze is a product of selling or buying the drugs rather than of their use.

The war on drugs is absurd. ABSURD!

The fact that intelligent humans still champion this big-time loser is saddening.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 09:53 pm
I think I have assumed that crack cocaine is unhealthier for the person taking it than white powder cocaine; I might have heard that it causes the person to be violent, but I may be mixing that up with PCP. I think there is more violence associated with it, but don't know if that is related to the difference in the drug form. If powder cocaine were easily available and affordable, would the crack user switch?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 03:18 am
I weary of the big testicle - I think Craven needs to have it checked out medically.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 03:56 am
ossobuco wrote:
I think I have assumed that crack cocaine is unhealthier for the person taking it than white powder cocaine; I might have heard that it causes the person to be violent, but I may be mixing that up with PCP. I think there is more violence associated with it, but don't know if that is related to the difference in the drug form. If powder cocaine were easily available and affordable, would the crack user switch?

Isn't crack supposed to be "instantly addictive"?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 06:35 am
The war on drugs as a concept is a total joke. If the US really wanted a war on drugs, they would take the DEA funding and put it into education, attacking the demand for drugs, and researching the reasons for this demand, but no...they go after the suppliers while ignoring the real problem.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 07:10 am
The link here will take anyone with the requisite curiosity and time to Gardner's extraordinary series on the drug war http://www.mapinc.org/gardner.htm
0 Replies