Terror - The clock is ticking...

DrewDad

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 07:56 am
@A Lone Voice,
A Lone Voice wrote:
Waterboarding aside...

How can you say "waterboarding aside"? Torture is torture.

And the whole point of detaining these folks at Guantanamo Bay is to avoid legal oversight. If we're going to treat 'em like normal prisoners, then we have no reason to detain them in Cuba anymore.

A Lone Voice wrote:
Why do you consider it a law enforcement issue? Usually, those who will carry out terror acts are not US citizens; why invoke aspects of constitutional protection such as self incrimination, search and seizure, etc?

I've heard this approach before from libs; why does it make sense to the progressive mind?

I know quite a few conservative minds this makes sense to, as well.

A. Non-citizens are still entitled to the protections of the Constitution. Wherever did you get the idea that they weren't?
B. Terror attacks are not attacks of war. If we treat bin Laden like a general, then it gives him legitimacy. (Which I've already said. Do you read, or do you just snipe with the "libs" comments?)
A Lone Voice

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 08:56 am
@Diest TKO,
Quote:

A terrible measure of the effectiveness of a international policy that should stop terrorism at large.

The 'international community' ( or whatever you would like to call it) failed miserably at stopping Muslim terrorism during the past couple of years, with attacks from Islamic terrorists coming in many countries. The US, however, has not had a successful attack on it since 9-11. I realize this may offend your sense of international responsibility; I'm sure you are blaming the US for those other attacks...

Quote:

How did we evaluate 9/11? We had a giant report created that illustrated what we knew, when we knew it, how we acted, and when we acted. The report was pretty critical of the Bush admin, but they didn't even blush.

It would be terrible if another attack was to happen, but I feel better with a president who can cultivate a stronger international effort over a totalitarian domestic effort.

"It would be terrible if another attack was to happen," yet you would "feel better with a president who can cultivate a stronger international effort over a totalitarian domestic effort."

Strong international efforts are pretty important to people like you. I can tell you would feel terrible, too.

How about this, though? Another attack on the US is unacceptable, regardless of how the international community "feels" about it? And if another attack does happen, those in the US government who dropped the ball should be held accountable.

Quote:

What will happen to those released is not just one answer. Those in Gitmo, fall into many categories. Those that shouldn't have ever been in there to begin with (Chinese Uighurs for example) should be released post haste. Those who should be tried, should be brought before a LEGITIMATE court.

I partially agree with some aspects of your point here. The Bush Admin sufferred from overreach with some of their Gitmo prisoners, sort of a one size fits all approach that wasn't going to work.

Re LEGITIMATE court, however, you are probably referring to a criminal court? Why do libs have such a strong desire to see Islamic terrorists treated as a law enforcement issue? Why invoke aspects of constitutional protection such as self incrimination, search and seizure, etc to what many see are acts of war?

Quote:

Educate yourself. Not everyone in Gitmo is some violent criminal.

Didn't say they were. My point (and I'm glad to repeat it) was this:

Voters are pretty forgiving with politicians; Obama will enjoy this more than any other president in modern history. What voters will not forgive, however, are certain mistakes involving 'He should have known better.'

Simply, if a few of these Islamic terrorists being released from Gitmo later turn around and inflict more violence on the US in a later attack, voters will hold the Obama admin accountable.

Quote:

You can't imprison people for crimes they may commit. If you have the evidence that they conspire to commit crimes sure, but if that's the case, send it to trial. Taking someone's freedom away should not be such a cavalier activity. If you ever wanted a reason to hate a country enough to fight back, imprisonment for years without a trial might be a pretty strong motivator. It might make you more prone to be recruited by people with the means to do harm.

So the original 9-11 Islamic terrorists didn't have reason enough to hate on their own? Or the first WTC attack?

What are you trying to say here? That the only reason there are Islamic terrorists is because of Gitmo? What nonsense!

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 09:02 am

Two ex-Guantanamo inmates appear in Al-Qaeda video
gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 09:03 am
Did you say there have been no terrorist attacks on our soil since 9/11, Lone Voice?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0a/Daschle_letter.jpg
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 09:09 am
@gustavratzenhofer,

Daschle's just a democrat so it's OK Wink
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 09:12 am
@H2O MAN,
i heard one time that a guy got out of jail and then committed more crimes

and i think one guy never even got convicted but turned out to be guilty, and then he committed more crimes
0 Replies

A Lone Voice

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 09:28 am
@DrewDad,
Not sniping, DD. Didn't mean it that way in an otherwise enjoyable exchange... Sorry.

Quote:

How can you say "waterboarding aside"? Torture is torture.

And the whole point of detaining these folks at Guantanamo Bay is to avoid legal oversight. If we're going to treat 'em like normal prisoners, then we have no reason to detain them in Cuba anymore.

My point was the real world consequences of the Obama admins actions. I asked if we should we treat suspected terrorists as 'enemy combatants?

Because the consequences of shutting the facility down? Who knows? Again, actions have consequences now... We are past campaign talk...

Quote:

A. Non-citizens are still entitled to the protections of the Constitution. Wherever did you get the idea that they weren't?

B. Terror attacks are not attacks of war. If we treat bin Laden like a general, then it gives him legitimacy.

Non citizens, yes. Enemy combantants, no.

Again, why not consider a terror act an act of war? And yes, we CAN have it both ways. Bin Laden is not a general; he's an Islamic terrorist. Who committed an act of war against the US...

Why should he be afforded constitutional protection? Why should any terrorist be able to invoke their 5th amendment rights, for example?

DrewDad

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 09:36 am
@A Lone Voice,
A Lone Voice wrote:

Again, why not consider a terror act an act of war? And yes, we CAN have it both ways. Bin Laden is not a general; he's an Islamic terrorist. Who committed an act of war against the US...

No, you CAN'T have it both ways.

Quote:
Act Of War
any act occurring in the course of declared war; armed conflict, whether or not war has been declared, between two or more nations; or armed conflict between military forces of any origin. 18 U.S.C.

If you acknowledge them as military, then they are eligible for rights under the Geneva Conventions. You're undermining your own argument, here.

A Lone Voice wrote:
Why should he be afforded constitutional protection? Why should any terrorist be able to invoke their 5th amendment rights, for example?

Because otherwise, you are convicting them before the trial. "Sentence first, verdict afterwards!" is ludicrous.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 12:21 pm
@A Lone Voice,
A Lone Voice wrote:

Quote:

A terrible measure of the effectiveness of a international policy that should stop terrorism at large.

The 'international community' ( or whatever you would like to call it) failed miserably at stopping Muslim terrorism during the past couple of years, with attacks from Islamic terrorists coming in many countries. The US, however, has not had a successful attack on it since 9-11. I realize this may offend your sense of international responsibility; I'm sure you are blaming the US for those other attacks...

I'm not blaming the U.S. for all of the worlds problems. Leave your strawmen at home. What I'm saying, is what many top intelligence officials have been saying for years about these terror networks. Their networks cross borders abroad, so we can't fight it alone. I do think that many other nations haven't done their part in the international effort. I think we come closer to having a more robust security infrastructure when we aren't being isolationist about the topic.

How many successful terrorist attacks in Denmark since 9-11? Norway? Canada? etc? Since bore 9-11 for that matter. Do you understand? Saying that we haven't been attacked is not a good way to measure how secure we are.
A Lone Voice wrote:

Quote:

How did we evaluate 9/11? We had a giant report created that illustrated what we knew, when we knew it, how we acted, and when we acted. The report was pretty critical of the Bush admin, but they didn't even blush.

It would be terrible if another attack was to happen, but I feel better with a president who can cultivate a stronger international effort over a totalitarian domestic effort.

"It would be terrible if another attack was to happen," yet you would "feel better with a president who can cultivate a stronger international effort over a totalitarian domestic effort."

Strong international efforts are pretty important to people like you. I can tell you would feel terrible, too.

How about this, though? Another attack on the US is unacceptable, regardless of how the international community "feels" about it? And if another attack does happen, those in the US government who dropped the ball should be held accountable.

It looks like we've got one thing in common, standards. You are willing to hold Obama to a higher standard than Bush, and I similarly see him as someone with higher standards to meet.

If this is your philosophical outlook, then Bush would have been out of office in 2002.

The fact is that no matter how good my eyes are, two pairs, three pairs (etc) are going to be better in terms of watching out for terrorist activity.
A Lone Voice wrote:

Quote:

What will happen to those released is not just one answer. Those in Gitmo, fall into many categories. Those that shouldn't have ever been in there to begin with (Chinese Uighurs for example) should be released post haste. Those who should be tried, should be brought before a LEGITIMATE court.

I partially agree with some aspects of your point here. The Bush Admin sufferred from overreach with some of their Gitmo prisoners, sort of a one size fits all approach that wasn't going to work.

Re LEGITIMATE court, however, you are probably referring to a criminal court? Why do libs have such a strong desire to see Islamic terrorists treated as a law enforcement issue? Why invoke aspects of constitutional protection such as self incrimination, search and seizure, etc to what many see are acts of war?

A crime was committed in the USA, where said crime is defined in legal terms, therefore the person(s) responsible should be brought to trial in a criminal court. If you commit a crime in another country, you answer to their court.

The reason you give constitutional protection to all defendants is because you want whatever the ruling of the court to be--final. When you start taking away a person's ability to defend themselves, you call into question the legitimacy of the court. I want the terrorists to be caught and judged too, and that is exactly why I don't want them in some mickey mouse court.

Besides, you misunderstand the whole problem. It's not about military court versus criminal court. The Bush administration didn't want to abide by either the constitution or the Geneva Convention rules on this. They just wanted to use their own rules.
A Lone Voice wrote:

Quote:

Educate yourself. Not everyone in Gitmo is some violent criminal.

Didn't say they were. My point (and I'm glad to repeat it) was this:

Voters are pretty forgiving with politicians; Obama will enjoy this more than any other president in modern history. What voters will not forgive, however, are certain mistakes involving 'He should have known better.'

Simply, if a few of these Islamic terrorists being released from Gitmo later turn around and inflict more violence on the US in a later attack, voters will hold the Obama admin accountable.

And what of all the people released who simply try to return to their countries and rebuild their lives?

We need to be building cases on the terrorists, not just holding them in a cell and calling it a day. If we KNOW they are guilty, lets send them to court with all of our evidence.

This is another reason why an international effort is so important. We release person A to country A. We should have a good working relationship with country A to help monitor the activities of person A. Hell, it's even their prerogative to help monitor them since in all likelihood any act of terrorism would happen in their area.

The Bush admin had a very bad case of tunnel vision.
A Lone Voice wrote:

Quote:

You can't imprison people for crimes they may commit. If you have the evidence that they conspire to commit crimes sure, but if that's the case, send it to trial. Taking someone's freedom away should not be such a cavalier activity. If you ever wanted a reason to hate a country enough to fight back, imprisonment for years without a trial might be a pretty strong motivator. It might make you more prone to be recruited by people with the means to do harm.

So the original 9-11 Islamic terrorists didn't have reason enough to hate on their own? Or the first WTC attack?

Sure they did. That's not what I said. Pure strawman. But look in countries like Iraq, our presence increased recruitment into terror groups (I'm not talking about insurgents).
A Lone Voice wrote:

What are you trying to say here? That the only reason there are Islamic terrorists is because of Gitmo? What nonsense!

Enough scarecrow, Lone Voice.

We can't, nor should we imprison people for crimes that they might commit. We can't take people's liberty away then wonder why they have animosity towards us. We can't continue to hold them because we are afraid of that animosity either. What we can do is take evidence of crimes committed and send those people who did the act to court. If we catch someone who conspires to commit a crime, we can use evidence of that in a court as well. If we don't have that evidence, why did we catch them? how?

T
K
O
parados

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 06:35 pm
@A Lone Voice,
Quote:

Blame? No. But shouldn't those in the government who failed in their core duty be held accountable, if they end up failing?

That's some funny **** there Lone Voice.

Do you think the Bush administration should be held accountable for 9/11? They obviously failed in their duty, didn't they? Unless you want to argue that 9/11 wasn't a failure, which would be an even more outlandish argument from you.
A Lone Voice

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 02:08 am
@parados,
Quote:

Do you think the Bush administration should be held accountable for 9/11? They obviously failed in their duty, didn't they? Unless you want to argue that 9/11 wasn't a failure, which would be an even more outlandish argument from you.

Actually, the Clinton Admin was responsble for allowing the first WTC attack, and there was a strong argument that the Clinton Admin approach to terrorism is what led to 9-11 in the first place.

But I'll be generous; I think both administrations were caught unprepared. However, a second attack during Bush's term would be unacceptable.

Just as an attack now that Obama is president will be unacceptable...
A Lone Voice

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 03:07 am
@Diest TKO,
The true sign of an A2k 'progressive' here is how quickly they play the strawman card...

Sigh.

Quote:

Saying that we haven't been attacked is not a good way to measure how secure we are.

Of course it isn't. Just as saying we haven't been attacked isn't a good way to measure if we've um, been attacked. I love 'progressive' logic...

Quote:

A crime was committed in the USA, where said crime is defined in legal terms, therefore the person(s) responsible should be brought to trial in a criminal court.

As you're aware, not all the prisoners at Gitmo were accused of committing crimes on US soil. Which is why they were at Gitmo. Some of them committed terrorist acts against US targets abroad. Yet, you (and Obama) would try them in US courtrooms, using US criminal law, allowing discovery motions and such to reveal military information that could endanger ongoing terrorist operations.

Kind of as if these were liquor store robberies. Right?

My favorite two words when it comes to describing 'progressives' are unintended consequences. You guys aren't malicious. Or stupid. You just don't think.

Quote:

If you commit a crime in another country, you answer to their court.

Quote:

The reason you give constitutional protection to all defendants is because you want whatever the ruling of the court to be--final. When you start taking away a person's ability to defend themselves, you call into question the legitimacy of the court. I want the terrorists to be caught and judged too, and that is exactly why I don't want them in some mickey mouse court.

So, those terrorists our military apprehended in Iraq, you indicate should have been tried in an Iraq Court? Like Saddam was? How about before elections were held?

What about those terrorists taken in other Muslim countries (with the cooperation of those governments?) So 'progressives' here in the US would be satisfied with the summary beheading that would be taking place in Saudi Arabia with US cooperation?

Or I guess we could just let Yemen let them go, as they did with the USS Cole attackers.

Again, unintended consequences.

I think we actually agree about Mickey Mouse courts; you just don't realize it. Or you prefer one of these people tried in a 'court' where women are not allowed to serve on juries, where defense attorneys are not allowed to question authority, and Sharia law is followed?

Yeah, that would go over dandy with the libs here in the US...

Look into the situation, and you'll see there was a need for Gitmo/military tribunals. Just like the US conducted in WW II.

Although I wonder sometimes what today's 'progressive' would have said about that war...

Bottom line: While Bush walked a fine line with some of his policies - I feel, for one, that some aspects of the Patriot Act were overblown and unnecessary - there was not another attack on US soil by Islamic terrorists. But 'progressives' and those with BDS will try to mitigate this fact, as we are seeing.

Yet the voters in this country, unfortunately for Obama and those most obsessed with him, will hold his administration to that same bottom line. For the sake of the country, I hope Obama is not cavalier as he goes about dismantling one of the few things Bush got right.

This is no longer a word exercise or a campaign strategy; there are consequences to actions. Something that libs always seem to forget...
parados

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 07:11 am
@A Lone Voice,
LOL..
You are completely removed from any logic, aren't you?

The Bush administration didn't fail because the previous administration did? But if a terror attack occurs during the Obama administration it won't be because the Bush administration failed?

Your argument is nothing but partisan Bull **** Lone Voice.

Some simple facts.
An attack occurred during the Bush administration.
The Bush administration changed or failed to continue most of the Clinton policies prior to the attack. They held no meetings on terrorism and demoted terrorism experts.
You claim Bush is not responsible even though he changed policies.
You claimed if Obama changes the Bush policies and an attack occurs, it is Obama's fault which is the direct opposite of the how you treated Bush.
You obviously use partisan standards.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 07:58 am
Just once I would like to see a discussion on terrorism without the name of an
American political party mentioned.

Just once I would like to see a discussion on terrorism without events before
September 11, 2001 being evaluated with twenty-twenty hindsight after that
date.

DrewDad

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 08:14 am
@George,
George wrote:
Just once I would like to see a discussion on terrorism without the name of an American political party mentioned.

Word.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 11:38 pm
@A Lone Voice,
A Lone Voice wrote:

The true sign of an A2k 'progressive' here is how quickly they play the strawman card...

Sigh.

The true sign of an A2K 'conservative' here is how they don't like being called out on their logical fallacies. You said that I blamed the US or some other crap. Nowhere did I say that. You deliberately manipulate my words to craft a false stance to strike at. That's the definition of a strawman. If you've got a problem with that, take it up with the wizzard of OZ, but he won't be able to offer your scarecrow a brain.

A Lone Voice wrote:

Quote:

Saying that we haven't been attacked is not a good way to measure how secure we are.

Of course it isn't. Just as saying we haven't been attacked isn't a good way to measure if we've um, been attacked. I love 'progressive' logic...

If we adopt your means to measure security, we fall behind countries that were not attacked prior to nor after 9/11. What you attempt to do here is equate circumstance to causation.

Denmark?
Iceland?
Germany?

What's their score on th being attacked meter? Higher or lower than us? Does Bush get credit for those too?

Your conclusion is dumb.

A Lone Voice wrote:

My favorite two words when it comes to describing 'progressives' are unintended consequences. You guys aren't malicious. Or stupid. You just don't think.

We're the intellectuals. We think plenty. One day we're being hung from by a tree with a sign saying we think too much, the next we apparently don't think at all... Whatever dude. I'll accept you have your own description. It doesn't mean anything.

I've got little respect for someone prepared to defend the Bush terror policies, and telling me about "unintended consequences."

A Lone Voice wrote:

I think we actually agree about Mickey Mouse courts; you just don't realize it. Or you prefer one of these people tried in a 'court' where women are not allowed to serve on juries, where defense attorneys are not allowed to question authority, and Sharia law is followed?

Look into the situation, and you'll see there was a need for Gitmo/military tribunals. Just like the US conducted in WW II.

The military commissions of WWII were nothing like those in Guantanamo. My grandfather was a translator in said commissions, and what we have today is nothing more than community theater in comparison.

Besides, what you seem to ignore (that or your argument is ashamed of) is the fact that Bush didn't want to follow the US constitution NOR the Geneva Convention rules in regards to the prisoners or their handling. He wanted rules that he could create ad hoc.
A Lone Voice wrote:

Although I wonder sometimes what today's 'progressive' would have said about that war...

Conservatives might wonder why we sent men to fight in countries where we couldn't seize material assets like oil or spread Christianity.

You wanna try and take low shots, be my guest.

What makes you think that conservatives can stick a flag in WWII and claim it as theirs?
A Lone Voice wrote:

Yet the voters in this country, unfortunately for Obama and those most obsessed with him, will hold his administration to that same bottom line. For the sake of the country, I hope Obama is not cavalier as he goes about dismantling one of the few things Bush got right.

Bush got right? There are people who committed no crime being held (admittedly by the former Bush Admin). What is right about that? Send them to trial if you have a case, otherwise let them go. The war doesn't end. You can't hold them forever waiting for it to end.
A Lone Voice wrote:

This is no longer a word exercise or a campaign strategy; there are consequences to actions. Something that libs always seem to forget...

I'm willing to hold Obama to the standard you lacked the integrity to hold Bush to, and I'm not afraid to say it either.

Obama doesn't have to be a perfect man, just an honest one for me. Anything is better than the train ride towards fascism that Bush was taking us on.

T
K
O
A Lone Voice

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 12:32 am
@Diest TKO,
Quote:

You deliberately manipulate my words to craft a false stance to strike at. That's the definition of a strawman.

I know. I counter one of your (was it an intellectual you called yourself?) arguments, so I use a straw man fallacy. Because everyone knows that as an intellectual, you can't possibly be wrong.

I MUST be manipulating your words, evil straw man conservative that I am...

How about this? Just lay out your arguments, dude. Quit getting hung up on how impressively intellectual you are.

Quote:

If we adopt your means to measure security, we fall behind countries that were not attacked prior to nor after 9/11. What you attempt to do here is equate circumstance to causation.

Denmark?
Iceland?
Germany?

Would you trade the Islamic societies Denmark and Germany currently possess for their 'safety'? You do realize the culture in both those countries is radically changing, right?

Read this, from NPR: (You 'progressives' still love NPR, don't you?):

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4182321

The way you libs complain about right wing Christian fundamentalists in the US (frankly, I don't like 'em either) makes me think you would go nuts under Sharia law...

But then again, maybe not, the way you libs give Muslims a pass. Witness First Amendment issues and Islamic lobby groups…

Quote:

We're the intellectuals. We think plenty. One day we're being hung from by a tree with a sign saying we think too much, the next we apparently don't think at all... Whatever dude. I'll accept you have your own description. It doesn't mean anything.

I've got little respect for someone prepared to defend the Bush terror policies, and telling me about "unintended consequences."

No, you guys really don't have any common sense. Sorry. Witness Joe (the wrong side of history on every major foreign policy decision) Biden. The best your party could do for VP. Talk about a train wreck…

Quote:

Conservatives might wonder why we sent men to fight in countries where we couldn't seize material assets like oil or spread Christianity.

Obama doesn't have to be a perfect man, just an honest one for me. Anything is better than the train ride towards fascism that Bush was taking us on.

Um, your BDS really shows when you become angry. It really takes away from any logic you might want to convey in the future...

I know it plays well here at A2K, (and maybe college campuses) what with all the intellectualism, but you know, the choir and all…

In the real world, you just sound like a left wing loony.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 08:26 am
@A Lone Voice,
A Lone Voice wrote:
You do realize the culture in both those countries is radically changing, right?

Oh, please.

Culture in the US changes daily. Do you want to go back to the culture of the 1950s? 1930s? 1900s? 1880s? 1850s?

Here's a life lesson for you: things change. Kinda the definition of life, really.
A Lone Voice

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 03:36 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:

A Lone Voice wrote:
You do realize the culture in both those countries is radically changing, right?
Oh, please.

Culture in the US changes daily. Do you want to go back to the culture of the 1950s? 1930s? 1900s? 1880s? 1850s?

Here's a life lesson for you: things change. Kinda the definition of life, really.

So you're going to help out TKO, are you?

OK.

Just make sure you read our prior posts, though. Coming in late to a conversation and interjecting a random thought here and there only makes you look foolish, if you don't understand the context of the discussion that has taken place so far.

For example, comparing the changing culture of the US from the last century to today and what is occurring now in Germany and other countries in Europe with their growing radical Islamic issues makes no sense, even to left wing nuts out in right field.

Did ya even glance at the NPR link? And don't allow that to be your only source, by any means.

I could have provided even more information, but most 'progressives' seem to ignore most media that does not have the leftist journalistic leanings of Mother Jones, so I thought in TKO's intellectual superiority and open mindness, he would ignore anything that did not cater to his political beliefs.

Lots of concern in Europe over the Islamification of their societies. Sharia law, and all. Something that I would think would leave most of you goofy libs worried...
parados

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 03:41 pm
@A Lone Voice,
Where in the NPR link did it state that Germany was moving toward Sharia law?

Making stuff up, doesn't help your argument Lone Voice. It only makes you look like a radical extremist.