Obama '08! A2K Inauguration Party

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 03:34 pm
@dagmaraka,
Those secret service guys are starting to look a little winded. LOL
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 03:36 pm
Beau Biden is also not painful to look at. Mmmmm.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 03:51 pm
The Obama's must be exhausted. No trouble sleeping in a new place tonight.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 04:02 pm
@Bella Dea,
I hereby retract my qualms spoken on another thread, somewhat about expense, and the "big wedding" phenomenon, re all inaugurations... but mostly about security and re people being exposed to the cold for so long.
Gads, I was wrong. I'm thrilled to be wrong.

Baking Obama presidency cookies as I speak: oatmeal, flour, butter, canola, eggs, chopped almond, cranberries and currents soaks in marsala, chocolate chips, vanilla, bla bla.

And gads, I'm happy. (Have you ever seen me happy? as my friend Bonnie used to say...)
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 04:04 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
Heh! He looks so self-conscious. Not like embarrassed but like ironic. Like, "Yes, I am the President of the United States (trip out!)"

Not "yes" -- it's "yo"!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 04:05 pm
Anyone see that little boy with the cymbals in the parade? Oh god, how cute was that?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 04:12 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
How's the Perlman/ Ma music?

Ma and Perlman were phantastic, as expected. The composition: solid, professional, but I found it a bit boring. To my ear -- and these things are always subjective -- the composer seemed to be triangulating as he created this piece. It's somewhere in the middle between modern and classical-classical, somewhere between classics and folk and pop. Not particularly bad, not particularly good.

The interpreters saved the piece though though.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 04:33 pm
@Thomas,
I think that was Copland's Appalachian Spring, an orchestral suite composed in '44. That or another Copland, haven't checked. Big piece of american music..

http://www.npr.org/programs/specials/milestones/991027.motm.apspring.html
Swimpy

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 04:44 pm
@ossobuco,
It was called Air and Simple Gifts. It was an arrangement of variations on the old Shaker hymn.

http://letterv.blogspot.com/2009/01/inaugural-music.html

I found it quite touching and understated. I found the whole ceremony understated. Just the right tone for the times.
Lambchop

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 05:07 pm
@Swimpy,
I've been enjoying the whole inauguration. Obama has such a great presence!

It's just very sad about Senator Kennedy taking ill though. Hope he's ok!
ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 05:13 pm
@Swimpy,
Aha, thanks, Swimpy. Got it..
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 05:58 pm
@Lambchop,
CNN had an update on Kennedy at some point and they were saying that he is doing much better. The episode (some sort of seizure) has been ascribed to simple fatigue.
sozobe

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 05:59 pm
@Thomas,
Thanks, Thomas and Swimpy, for further info on the classical piece...
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 06:02 pm
@sozobe,
they say (CNN) that he'll be able to go home in the morning.
Lambchop

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 08:18 pm
@dagmaraka,
Thanks for the updates! Smile
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 08:21 pm
It was fun and spectacular. Obama's speech was great, IMHO.

But I couldn't resist the feeling that I was watching something similar to a Roman Triumph, from the times of the Caesars. Sooo imperial!
ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 08:37 pm
@fbaezer,
Oh, but wait...

the first dance - (don't know how to imbed video that isn't youtube)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/20/the-obamas-first-inaugura_n_159522.html
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 09:19 pm
Happy Inauguration Day Americans Drunk
ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 10:56 pm
@Eorl,
Hi, Eorl, and thanks.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 05:07 am
I wanted to go up to Times Square and watch everything on the Jumbo-Tron, but I got stuck at work and just barely managed to escape upstairs at noon where there is a little radio. Rolling the dial away from Z105 Fresh!, I found NPR and settled in to listen. Luckily, and very American-like, everything was running late, so in the midst of Yo Yo Ma playing an Air and Simple Gifts, the commentator broke in to whisper that it was 12:01 and that even though Barrack Obama hadn't taken the oath of office, the Presidency of George W. Bush was at an end. I felt very, very happy. I felt like my country had just survived some kind of accident.
No one came upstairs during the speech, I don't think anybody was moving in the city. The pictures of Times Square I saw later showed I wouldn't have been able to get within a mile of the Jumbo-Tron. What a happy crowd that was. So, it was just me and the little radio.
I liked the speech. I thought it was solid, thoughtful and forward reaching.
I liked being there with just the radio. It reminded me of listening to baseball games and boxing matches long, long ago. I made all the pictures then, I made all the pictures yesterday. I imagined the crowd. I imagined the faces. I imagined what all of them were thinking.
I floated through the afternoon. I haven't this happy about my country in a long time.
Of course, I was wrong.
Last night, I watched the whole thing again on a re-play: the crowd? Much, much bigger and much, much much more full of joy and anticipation and hope than I could have ever imagined.

Joe(from every mountainside, let Freedom ring.)Nation
0 Replies