Obama '08! A2K Inauguration Party

sozobe

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 12:01 pm
OK, there are way too many people on the ice! Someone's going to go through.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 12:02 pm
Every time the news anchors say "President Obama," I grin.

(BIG sigh.) We've waited so long.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

@Eva,
It has been the first inauguration I've ever followed (besides in the normal news).

And I had some tears in my eyes - similar to when I saw the wall falling/when Germany was united: two historic events I'd never believed I could watch in my lifetime.
0 Replies

Swimpy

It's a great day for America.
sozobe

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 12:04 pm
@Region Philbis,
Heh! He looks so self-conscious. Not like embarrassed but like ironic. Like, "Yes, I am the President of the United States (trip out!)"
Eva

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 12:06 pm
@Swimpy,
As evidenced by Francis' and Walter's contributions, it's a great day for the world.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 12:19 pm
Interesting seating arrangements at this lunch! John McCain and Rahm Emmanuel at one table, having an animated conversation...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 12:22 pm
The news on this is all just fluff. But don't worry, I found an article of substance to encapsulate what this day means to us all...

President Obama's Hair Set to Be Bellwether of Nation

On this historic day as Barack Obama is sworn in as President, so many important issues will be on people's minds, not least of which is: Will our leader be tempted to reach for the Just For Men during his tenure in the White House, as many suspected he had during the campaign? Or will he let nature take its course and further turn his hair grey? While stress is known to hasten grey hair"as in the possibly apocryphal stories of hair turning white from shock overnight"you'll be reassured to hear that the light sprinkling of grey currently sported by the 47-year-old President appears to be genetic, at least according to dermatologist Dr. Antony Gaspari. And it hasn't prevented Obama's cut from being the first politician's in recent history to spur an actual hair trend credited to his uni-named barber, Zariff, who says he's doing a roaring trade in "the Obama."

http://cityfile.com/dailyfile/3961
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 12:31 pm
Ah! Just saw Roberts say "it was my fault..." Very Happy
mac11

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 01:40 pm
@sozobe,
Yep, it was definitely Roberts' fault. I haven't researched it yet, but I think he put the word "faithfully" in the wrong place in the sentence.

I watched about 45 minutes worth in the kitchen here at work. I'm still excited!
sozobe

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 01:54 pm
@mac11,
Yep, that's what I've seen too. Then Obama kinda paused to let him fix it, then went ahead with it (it was still a little wrong).

Meanwhile... Teddy Kennedy collapsed at the luncheon, evidently.
mac11

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 02:01 pm
@sozobe,
Yes, I saw something about Kennedy too. It must have just happened.

Here's a summary of where Roberts went wrong:
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/i-do-solemnly-swear/?hp
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 02:10 pm
Uh, posted this on a wrong thread... Guess it belongs here more. Biden spoke at the luncheon:

Biden is speaking about three co-equal branches of government ("co-equal"? wouldn't "equal" do?) -- the administration, senate, and the house...ummmm.... where's judiciary? isn't the senate and the house one branch?
bit confused.
OGIONIK

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 02:12 pm
@dagmaraka,
i think he means cooperatively equal, not forced to be equal.

abnyways, obama is quite the eloquent speaker, hopefully it isnt just a facade, and he will accomplish something meaningful.
dagmaraka

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 02:22 pm
@OGIONIK,
cooperatively equal? weird term, but i did find "co-equal" in the legal language... However, I was indeed right.... he only named two branches and forgot the third or got confused or something... well, understandably i suppose. i would say a bunch of nonsense if i would be able to get any sound out of myself.
http://www.ptla.org/immigrants/english/government.htm
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 03:09 pm
oh wow, they are walking the parade route. can't hear the music anymore, just crowds screaming!

...i bet security crew is overjoyed Smile
old europe

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 03:10 pm
Amazing.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 03:17 pm
@dagmaraka,
dagmaraka wrote:

oh wow, they are walking the parade route. can't hear the music anymore, just crowds screaming!

We switch to one of the German stations - the sreaming isn't so loud there as on CNN Wink
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 03:22 pm
@old europe,
I can't stop grinning. Right after the inauguration I was sooo exhausted I had to go take a walk to clear my head and make peace with my emotions that ran quite strong.

Here, I also have to say that CNN has done a VERY clever thing pairing up with facebook. People all over the world are hooked on that live. I've been on for the last 6 hours... crafty idea.
old europe

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 03:31 pm
@dagmaraka,
Ah, I'm watching it on CNN, too, with the facebook thingie... I like it a lot. Smart.
0 Replies